Man I Love This Stuff

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by RKW, Mar 22, 2010.

1. RKW

RKW Active Member

I just put the dogs in the kennel after a good rabbit race tonight. I only had 2 dogs to run as one is with pups and another is in season. I loaded Buddy and Trixie on the 4 wheeler and rode down the lane on the back 40. I saw a rabbit as soon as I went through the gap but it was too close to the house so I went on down the lane and there sat 2 more rabbits. I turned loose on them and they circled 4 or 5 times then headed for the hardwood bottom so I drove down to the lane on the south line and sure enough here came the rabbit easing across into the bottom. I decided to let them cross and see how they sounded in open woods. It sounded like they were on steroids as those two hounds roared after that old bunny. Trixie can flat spit it out and she was almost breathless from barking so much and Buddy is a bawl mouth dog but he was bawling so fast at times he sounded like a bell ringing. I guess I've bragged about this race enough as you can tell I had a lot of fun to say the least. I hope all of you enjoy your hounds as much as I do and remember the quality time we spend in the outdoors is truely a blessing.

Roger

2. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

yesterday was a good scenting day. we went in the morning drop the tailgate walked about 20 ft jumped and for 2 1/2 hrs it was hammer down we had to catch them off the rabbit when they had a breakdown, super running yesterday:thumb:

3. RKW

RKW Active Member

Tim you're right, the scenting was very good yesterday and last night it was cool and crisp with no wind. You could have heard a pin drop which just amplified the sound. I wish I had a hunting buddy to share this with like I used to but no one runs beagles that lives close to me. Well there is one fellow but he goes through the woods hooping and hollering like he is making a deer drive and I think a lot of his rabbits have hoofs with long tails. Running rabbits is a lot like fox hunting used to be with a couple of distinct advantages, ( 1 ) beagles don't cost as much to feed, and ( 2 ) you can stay in one place and listen to the whole race. This gives you time to build a fire. roast wieners, have soft drinks, and share the time with your friends and family. I remember when I used to look forward to Friday night fox hunts with a few of the old timers that I hunted with. Now I have become the old timer and these hounds have rekindled my desire to continue the sport.

Roger

4. rosco

rosco New Member

We ran 3 blackcreeeks and an otis cross yesterday evening. 1 year ild black creek female is tough, tough, . She is a yapper. The otis is a bawl mouth. They ran for 2 hours hot and hevey. One nine mounth was in and out of the race. Not to bad it was his second time out. The othet 9 mounth old stayed at my feet. The 2 that were running good kept constant pressure on mr. bunny. They tracked him over a clay spot that was 30 yards wide. I was impressed. Right on the line.

The rabbits better rest up, we are running the fast stuff tonight. The satsumas and windsongs will be right on his hind end.

5. RKW

RKW Active Member

Get after em' Rosco!!!!!!!!! Sounds like you've got those young dogs going in the right direction.

Roger

6. beagleman01

went again this morning 3 hrs solid running man it was a blast

7. RKW

RKW Active Member

Tim, there is nothing like those hounds bustin' the brush with everything they have for three hours is there? They can make you proud of them whether they are world champions or good ole country rabbit dogs. Glad you had a good time too!

Roger

8. MackC

MackC Moderator

Roger, you sure made your run sound good! I could almost hear those 2 hounds myself! I'm going to run my 2 derbies tonight! I remember some great nights around the fire listening to foxhounds run myself.

9. RKW

RKW Active Member

Mack that was a great time in my life when we didn't take things or ourselves so serious and we were just living in the moment. Sometimes we really do have to stop and smell the roses or life will pass us by and we didn't even realize what we had. Listening to the cry of the hounds on a clear moonlit night is hard for many people to understand but those who have experienced it will have those memories etched in their minds for the rest of their lives. Cut those 2 derbies loose and let them bless you with a good race tonight.

Roger

10. Roger I wish I lived closer I would come run with you. Listening to Beagles running it doesn't hardly get any better than that! I think when school is out for the summer I am going to start running some at night with my son and build a fire I think he would really enjoy that.:up:

11. rosco

rosco New Member

Ran 3 pups by there self. They stayed on a cold trail.
    I hope they learned something.
    I was impressed with there grit 2 of the 3 never gave up.

I'll throw down some help with them tommorow .

12. rosco

rosco New Member

RHowell,

He will love it.
    The young teens gather at least 4 nights a week around here when school is out.
    They build a fire a large presentage of the time.

Gotta be careful with teens. If the rabbits or dogs dont contribute a 4 wheeler race may break out.

OHHHH to be young again.

13. RKW

RKW Active Member

Hey Randy, good to hear from you and you are welcome to come down and hunt with me anytime. You and your son will enjoy running the hounds at night but do yourselves a favor and take him pretty soon while the nights are still cool and there are no mosquitoes to bother him. I found that my son liked coon hunting with me during the season better than tuning the dogs in the summer with the bugs and varmits. I'm sure he will enjoy the fire and maybe roasting some weiners. When they are young they need a little variety of activities to occupy their time and they might also go to sleep.

I hope he really likes running the dogs and hunting it will be a past time that will keep him off the streets and out of trouble in years to come. My son is grown and married now but he went hunting with me in some form almost from the time he was out of diapers. We still hunt together when we can which isn't nearly often enough so cherish all of the quality time you can with him because believe me they grow up fast.

Roger

14. MackC

MackC Moderator

Ran my young dogs last night right behind a softball complex just outside of town. It was a warm evening and the ballfields were full of kids and parents. The dogs sounded good and the sounds and sights of kids getting ready for ball season sounded good as well. It helped put my mind at ease after a day hearing all about the healthcare stuff and political crap.

15. DismalDawg

DismalDawg New Member

rosco, is the Satsuma stuff from Mel Foust breeding?

16. beagleman01

het roger when you get back we need to try to get togeather and run one day

17. RKW

RKW Active Member

Sounds good to me Tim. I'm haven't left yet but I never know when the phone will ring and tell me to hit the road especially when there is so much work on the verge of starting. You know I've been trying to build another pack to run and I do have one put together but I have yet to be able to run them all at the same time since I've had them. One is with pups and another just came in season so I have a 2 dog pack for now. I really would like to raise some pups out of my Cocoa Bear female too but it looks like that may have to be a next time project.

Roger

18. beagleman01

i know how that goes having to split time with females in season

19. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Roger
    Let me know when you will be able to run some Friday nite and I may be able to drive up if nothing going on,could get there around dark, run a while and be home before too late.My dogs are still in need of practice.