Rabbit Dogs banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I like what you said about the determination and drive. I feel like that is important to me also even though I’m still new to all this. One of the main reasons I put this on here is because I seen alot of guys pushing for nose. I understand a dog has to have a good nose to run a rabbit but the way I took it from alot of guys is if they have the nose the hunt and desire will come to them. Like I said I’m still new to this but I also feel that is a little far fetched also? Maybe I’m wrong I’m not sure.
To me nose is the only thing on the list that is completely set from birth. Brains can be developed with handling. A smart dog that is locked in a kennel and never gets used will become dull. Hunt imo is a use it or loose it thing. If you jump every rabbit for a dog he's gonna figure out he doesn't have to. Speed should always be adjusted to the conditions and terrain. A dog that only has 1 gear is useless to me.
So I guess that's why guys try to focus on nose, especially field trialers, is because it is one trait that can't really be changed. You either got it or ya don't. Only problem with that is a dog with a big nose and no brains is going to be a babbling fool. I try not to focus on any 1 trait. I try to see how one trait can help or hurt another. To me it's all about having a well balanced hound that is willing to go the extra mile.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don’t raise many pups anymore but for me the the most important thing is: breeding a female that will HUNT. She has to be a dog that can do it by her self and her mother had to be a hound that could do it by her self. When I have a good one that suits me I will line breed her to a nice male with plenty of hunt. I am to old to feed any dog than don’t get in the brush.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Not sure how that relates to the scent???

Reguardless I don't doubt the long ears helps cup the scent but in my current pack the dog with the best nose has the shortest ears so go figure.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I just breed what I call rabbit dogs to rabbit dogs and hope for the best. I know em when I see em.

I breed within a family of hounds that I know from experience produce clean smooth running gundogs. Every now and then I get lucky.

I breed to the best hunting dogs I can get my hands on that go find, jump and run rabbits not deer and not trash until I kill it or they put it in a marked tree or in a marked hole in the ground. I breed to dogs that I have heavily hunted over for years and killed a many of big piles of rabbits over them in some real tuff terrain. That has worked well for me so far.

I don't have a list or even begin to know how the different good ones do what they do. I just breed the good ones I like what ever that takes and I keep and start my pups and hope for the best.

Every now and then I get lucky and hit a lick and get a half way decent one or two.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Here is my top five:
Hunt
Hunt
Hunt
Desire
Grit
Can’t run what you can find and jump. I don’t own chaps so I stay in the road. Then I want desire to pursue that game with grit to do it all day. Then be ready at daylight tomorrow and do it again. I like 15” females but I have two little females that will eat my feed until they die or I quit hunting. I like enough speed to push a rabbit but don’t care for one to overrun a track. I’ve sold some nice dogs lately that I wished I kept, but times change and so do priorities.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Haven’t seen anyone say they breed “to win field trials”. But we know for a lot of breeders, that is their way of measuring success. They breed for traits known to produce a champion.

Every breeder should have a goal, and a way of knowing how much of that goal has been achieved as each new generation/litter comes. And every goal should relate in some way to improving our breed for the future, in my opinion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Haven’t seen anyone say they breed “to win field trials”. But we know for a lot of breeders, that is their way of measuring success. They breed for traits known to produce a champion.

Every breeder should have a goal, and a way of knowing how much of that goal has been achieved as each new generation/litter comes. And every goal should relate in some way to improving our breed for the future, in my opinion.
I have a goal set in mind. I’m starting to work towards that goal. It’s gonna take me some time but I will get there. All these opinions help me to know what other guys strive for in their hounds. My goals might be different than another guy but that’s what makes in interesting for me!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts