Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandpa used words like much abliged and recollect in his every day talk. Can any of you remember some of the words that people used years ago but don't used any more ? I don't think that people other than from the south would know of this, but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When grandpa used the word abliged or much abliged it was for the word thank you. Recollect is the word for remember.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
yea this old man i knew would say that the ocean was cam instead of calm he would trip me out with some of that old talk like far tower and over yonder a cross dat dar hill lol yes we southerns had some words that we only know lol

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I heartell them dogs chased that varmit from here to yonder. That rabbit nearabout lost them no acount hounds while they were piddlen around the creek bank. That rabit doubled backd in front of those hounds lickey split. The whole pack went skedaddlein after him. We have lots of rabbits for them to run but I remember when they were scarce as a hens tooth.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heartell them dogs chased that varmit from here to yonder. That rabbit nearabout lost them no acount hounds while they were piddlen around the creek bank. That rabit doubled backd in front of those hounds lickey split. The whole pack went skedaddlein after him. We have lots of rabbits for them to run but I remember when they were scarce as a hens tooth.
Thats what i'm talking about. One correction though, yonder is pronounced yander.lol Ol'd Festus Hagan has alot of that talk on Gunsmoke. My grandmother use to say yeller for yellow.

·
Registered
826 Posts
not old words but an old phrase my grandma use to say to me when she thought i was ignoring her (which I never did) was speak butt mouth won't .

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One time my grandmother was visiting some of neighbors and one old lady said to my grandmother, " Pearl, you used to be good looking, what happened ? Granny replied, beauty fades away but uglyness hold it's own.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use to ride my "wheel" (bicycle) to my grandpa's. Another that you use to hear, who remember what was called a "turtle hull"?

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
My family always called a coke a "cole drank". Also any kind of soft drink was a coke. Get me a coke. What kind you want? I'll take a grape coke.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It's a fur piece down to the crick, youins jump in the truck and I'll tote you down thar. If that ole bull starts pesterin ya, grab that ax handle and hit em twinxed the eys. He's gets a bit spry ever Spring when the cows start bulling!

·
Registered
560 Posts
i am originally from Indiana...but i now live here in the mountains of Tennessee!!!...and i live in a little town way back in the sticks...and the people here really stick to their heritage all they can!...potatoes-taters...tomatoes-maders...opossum-possum(which some still eat)...chewin the fat(just talking)...chomping at the bit(in a hurry)..y'all(all of you)...whoopin(punishment)..just to name a few!!!
here is some home work for you...has anybody ever heard of Melungeon???...what is it...or who is it???

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i am originally from Indiana...but i now live here in the mountains of Tennessee!!!...and i live in a little town way back in the sticks...and the people here really stick to their heritage all they can!...potatoes-taters...tomatoes-maders...opossum-possum(which some still eat)...chewin the fat(just talking)...chomping at the bit(in a hurry)..y'all(all of you)...whoopin(punishment)..just to name a few!!!
here is some home work for you...has anybody ever heard of Melungeon???...what is it...or who is it???
They are of a mixed race of people African, Indian, Europian, Cocassian, mostly of dark complextion living in the Appalachia area for the most part.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts