Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old granddaughter of Shorts Pro, I am looking to add foot and am in need of a stud for her next cycle. Any recommendations for what crosses good with Shorts blood? She is heavy Shorts blood on her top side and has Orchard Grove blood on her Dam's side. Look forward to connecting with some folks on here, I am new to the site. Thanks! - Brent W.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Orchard Grove and Orchard Lane are my friends Wayne and Barb’s bloodline. It is made up of PD Short’s, Gary Brown’s, Teddy Adkins’s, and Wayne/Barb’s breeding. Awesome bloodline. In our area, Brown’s La Cawood is a very common stud over an Orchard Grove Moby Dick bitch. I hope you like big dogs, because that is why you will get! But then again that’s probably what you have if it is Shorts and Orchard...

Cawood is in Kentucky with Gary Brown. That is where I would start. Wayne will say you used to would breed to Shorts Pro and get dogs that ran 4,5, and 6, sell the 4s and 6s and keep the 5s, but nowadays you would keep the 6s since our federation has sped up a step.

Cawood is Cadalac Jack over Browns La Dee Too. If you can’t get to Cawood, I would be tempted to go to a Cadalac Jack sire with plenty the most power I could find. Either way you will have a huge nose and great line control.
Please post a ped, I would love to see it! You are running my dogs man! Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Orchard Grove and Orchard Lane are my friends Wayne and Barb’s bloodline. It is made up of PD Short’s, Gary Brown’s, Teddy Adkins’s, and Wayne/Barb’s breeding. Awesome bloodline. In our area, Brown’s La Cawood is a very common stud over an Orchard Grove Moby Dick bitch. I hope you like big dogs, because that is why you will get! But then again that’s probably what you have if it is Shorts and Orchard...

Cawood is in Kentucky with Gary Brown. That is where I would start. Wayne will say you used to would breed to Shorts Pro and get dogs that ran 4,5, and 6, sell the 4s and 6s and keep the 5s, but nowadays you would keep the 6s since our federation has sped up a step.

Cawood is Cadalac Jack over Browns La Dee Too. If you can’t get to Cawood, I would be tempted to go to a Cadalac Jack sire with plenty the most power I could find. Either way you will have a huge nose and great line control.
Please post a ped, I would love to see it! You are running my dogs man! Lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I'm in north central Oklahoma, would travel to anywhere in midwest or mid south areas. Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas...
I am in SE KS we all run stuff here that goes back to Pro. I have 2 nice males Jeb and Slammer that are very nice gun dogs. I don't trial so none of mine are FC but they all go back to or are off of FC. they suit me fine. They are big hounds. You can see them on my FB page or Youtube or pedigree on my web page. All are under burn em up kennel. I have a slammer pup now that hunts, jump and is starting to run the fire out of a rabbit. You can see them run if you are interested.
They are all AKC reg.
Burn 'Em Up Kennel

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
You have a solid foundation to build on. What do you plan to do with the pups. If you just want some excellent hunting dogs and don't care about the size then I would breed to Cawood. Most likely the pups will be big and if you want to trial then possibly too big (over 15"). This past year at a trial I asked Gary Brown what has been his best and most productive stud dog. Without hesitation he said Cawood. That came from one of the best houndsman of our time if you like to field trial. Gary has won more national events and probably the most HOF stud dogs of anyone around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
avel for a stud dog service?
I’m drooling man lol. When I get home I’ll put some stuff together. What is the hound lacking? What do you like and want to reinforce?
She lacks speed and hunt. She is really good on the check, medium to low medium speed that is good on line but lacks some hunt & foot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 5 year old granddaughter of Shorts Pro, I am looking to add foot and am in need of a stud for her next cycle. Any recommendations for what crosses good with Shorts blood? She is heavy Shorts blood on her top side and has Orchard Grove blood on her Dam's side. Look forward to connecting with some folks on here, I am new to the site. Thanks! - Brent W.
can you post a picture of her and how tall is she?

·
Registered
268 Posts
She lacks speed and hunt. She is really good on the check, medium to low medium speed that is good on line but lacks some hunt & foot.
Typical shorts line ---- You need to outcross to extreme hunt like a great buckshot male. That has worked well for me. But to be clear--- Just because its got some buckshot blood doesnt make it a great stud. There are great ones and avg to poor dogs in every blood line. selection, culling and proven traits are very important. Look deeper and beyond the paper / pedigree

1 - 14 of 14 Posts