Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question for all beagler's on here. Field trialer's, pleasure runners, and gun hunters. Let's say you have 3 dogs and you run them all solo. Dog A, Dog B, & Dog C. You pick each dog up at the first check they have. All straddled the line.
Here's the scenario.
Dog A jumps a rabbit and runs the track 200 yards in 2 minutes and then has a check.
Dog B jumps a rabbit and runs the track 200 yards in 6 minutes and then has a check.
Dog C jumps a rabbit and runs the track 200 yards in 10 minutes and then has a check.
Here's the question.
Which dog has the best line control? Explain why?
Give your opinion based on the information given, and don't speculate as to what they would have done if left down to run longer or what might have caused the check. I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer here but the question ask you to think outside the box. When I was a young fellow I told an older beagler I had the best dogs in Tennessee. He told me if I get out of my own yard I might find out what I had. He was right. I did have pretty good dogs but there were better ones out there. I won't give my own opinion on this question yet but I do have a theory of my own.

·
Super Moderator
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the info given, I couldn't judge the line control (whether A,B,or C was bobbing and weaving). Line control to me is keeping it between their legs. I would say that their foot speed was different.
I fixed the question. All were astraddle the line.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mack that is for sure an out of the box question! It makes you think...

In my opinion, if they all three "straddle the line" then they all have the same "line control."

HOWEVER,

If they all ran the rabbit (that did the same things) the same distance with the same position on the line, then Dog A has more foot (obviously).

In that 100 yards, did the rabbit go the same path? What I am asking is, did the slower dog C cause the rabbit to circle fully in 10 minutes (running a 100 yard loop), and the faster dog A cause the rabbit to go out for 2 minutes straight and go 100 yards in one direction ( running one of those 10 -mile loops)? Will the rabbit return fully in 10 minutes, or is he putting so much pressure on it that he is causing it to run huge?

In my opinion, Dog C isn't necessarily any better at controlling the line just because he went slower and a longer amount of time. Perhaps they all have the same line control, but Dog C won't just get move it when he has it? Is Dog A a more complete dog because he has the same line control, but he will actually move the rabbit quicker? Maybe line control is a greater proportion of what Dog C has to offer, but he doesn't necessarily have more line control.

After all, they all had a check in the same distance. If Dog A had "better line control," he still got the same check to happen. Granted, you need to watch if Dog A's foot is what caused the check? Does he have enough line control to match his foot? Even still, they all had a check at 100 yards.

I don't have any answers, I am just putting down my thoughts! Great post man, can't wait to see what people have to say!

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Line control is only one factor. In this case all dogs are equal. Speed is another factor. In this case all three are different. So it all comes down to what you want from your dogs. If you are hunting for meat on the table and in the freezer then dog A would b my choice. If you are running you dogs for meat and pleasure, then dog B might be your choice. Lastly, if you are just running your dog/dogs for pleasure, then dog C might be your choice. In any case all three dogs gave us a version of what we like in our dogs. So it all boils down to individual preferences - what some want because they field trial, what some want because they do both, and what some feed just for the pleasure and ownership. In my opinion there is no correct answer because it is what each individual likes, feeds and keeps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
With every thing being equal. I would have to say dog A. Who wants to sit around and wait ten minutes for a dog to do its thing while you can get one that does it in two minutes. we as a people want things now! Plus where I live you would probably freeze to death sitting around waiting during gun season.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a question for all beagler's on here. Field trialer's, pleasure runners, and gun hunters. Let's say you have 3 dogs and you run them all solo. Dog A, Dog B, & Dog C. You pick each dog up at the first check they have. All straddled the line.
Here's the scenario.
Dog A jumps a rabbit and runs the track 200 yards in 2 minutes and then has a check.
Dog B jumps a rabbit and runs the track 200 yards in 6 minutes and then has a check.
Dog C jumps a rabbit and runs the track 200 yards in 10 minutes and then has a check.
Here's the question.
Which dog has the best line control? Explain why?
Give your opinion based on the information given, and don't speculate as to what they would have done if left down to run longer or what might have caused the check. I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer here but the question ask you to think outside the box. When I was a young fellow I told an older beagler I had the best dogs in Tennessee. He told me if I get out of my own yard I might find out what I had. He was right. I did have pretty good dogs but there were better ones out there. I won't give my own opinion on this question yet but I do have a theory of my own.
I don't field trial and I don't know what is best but with the info given I'll take dog A. I don't want to take a nap before they bring the rabbit back to me

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not a pro or even close to it but it sounds like to me they all have great line control if they are straddling the line. Obviously there is a speed difference so to answer your question without speculation I would say dog #1 for being able to keep the line between his feet and move it faster while doing it?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Its all about making the best possible progress , while keeping control of the trail. So all things being the same , would go with “A”. If the 200 yd run “a” put down was across a fairway , and “c” was through razor sharp maze of briars , then the decision could easily be influenced , as to who made the best progress. Line control doesn’t come into play if they all straddled the line.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lol, all I can say is do not pack those 3 hounds up cause you could have an absolute mess.

Build around A, and call the biggest money hound man you know about the other 2.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts