Life of a alpha 100

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Burnett, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Burnett

Burnett Well-Known Member

Alot folks on here use the alpha.what are you finding to be the years they hold up.I use mine alot and have two and a total of eight collars.one almost 7yrs old with two collars and one 5yrs old with 6 tt15 minis.Only had one collar go out and 3 broke antennas.My 5 yr old handhelds screen is jumping around funny sometimes but still working good.
    It would be nice to know the life expectancy if your fixing to buy a new one.They are expensive.

2. MackC

MackC Moderator

I've had my system about 5-6 years. My handheld has not given me any problems but I've had issues with some of the collars. Batteries, antennas, etc..., I did replace one collar about 4 yrs old. Just keep everything updated. It is expensive but worth every penny to me.

3. Burnett

Ive updated the 7 yr old handheld once to accomadate the new tt15s.Did it on my 80 yr old moms computer and we almost got into a fist fight.ha.She dont like nobody messing with her computer.Hate to go through that again.Does it really matter to update them regularly?Never updated a collar.If its working it just dont seem neccessary. Mack have you had a collar work better after updating it?

Circle4p likes this.
  4. MackC

MackC Moderator

Yes, I had one that started disappearing from my screen. I updated it and it has worked fine since.

Circle4p and smitchell like this.
  5. Burnett

IVE had them to dissapear after zooming out so far .Did a master reset on the handheld and fixed that.

Circle4p likes this.
  6. MackC

MackC Moderator

Yes,

Circle4p likes this.
  7. smitchell

smitchell Well-Known Member

The deal with the update is I'm not sure we know when Garmin has made one. The best thing to do is check and see, only takes a couple minutes.

Circle4p likes this.
  8. Jimlerminez

Jimlerminez Well-Known Member

michigan
    Mine is about 6 yrs old and has never been updated. I just figure that if its working why fix it. I have had to replace antenna for collars a few times.

JDW, Circle4p and duke1 like this.
  9. duke1

duke1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Burnett! Im close to getting one. Im just saving up to get a 4 dog system. I want to get everything i need at once instead of adding collars like i did with my Trashbreaker.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Circle4p and Brandon like this.
  10. barnold1

barnold1 Well-Known Member

MO
    We have two Alphas and 13 mini collars. The oldest of the pile is probably 7 years old. This year I replaced oldest Alpha this year as the screen had the growing black dot, along with 4 mini 15's that quit tracking.

Circle4p likes this.
  11. Burnett

Did you trade your handheld in for a refurbished one? If so how much did it cost?

Circle4p likes this.
  12. Burnett I have before ..I want to say 125-150

Circle4p likes this.
  13. Burnett

That sounds reasonable.probably dont cost garmin much to refurbish one.I would think they would have at least a year warranty.

Circle4p likes this.
  14. barnold1

barnold1 Well-Known Member

MO
    I did refurbs and think it was 120 for the alpha and 100 each collar, but I did it right before they had price increases a couple months ago.

Circle4p likes this.
  15. pztrailman

pztrailman Member

Ohio
    Garmin just raised their prices. Garminrepairpricejpg.jpg

16. Chipjohnson

Chipjohnson Active Member

PA
    I sent 2 of the TT15 collars in about a month ago. She charged me $150 each and said they would send me 2 refurbished collars. When I got them back they sent me 2 new collars, chargers, points, the whole works that comes in a new box. Couldn't ask for better service than that.

17. Burnett

How long is the warranty?

18. Burnett

Pretty drastic price increase.ha.

19. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

Burnett, I think garmins warranty is one year

20. Burnett

Is there anywhere you can buy batteries for the old tritronics classic 70.If so are they any good?I have a 4 dog trash breaker outfit i use now for dog barking,yard work.Its aggravating when garmin discontinues something they stop having parts.

[email protected] and TJRANGER like this.