Leaving for Kansas tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by FB, Apr 12, 2010.

1. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

To hunt turkeys though, not rabbits.

I havent turkey hunted very long but if you can time it for when things are "right", its an awful lot of fun. If you get there too late or too early though it can be pretty frustrating.

2. good luck and have a safe trip. Don't forget your camera we wanna see pictures!

3. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

freddie good luck and have a safe trip

4. daveh

daveh Active Member

good luck. the turkeys were goobling to the hounds sat.:D

5. plumber

plumber Active Member

Good luck Fb, have a nice trip. Man we are covered up in turkeys over here, alot of public land too. You could hunt in the mornin and be back at the house later that day:thumb:

6. good luck freddie kill a big ' ol gobbler

7. Hope ya have a good time n get a biggen.

8. RKW

RKW Active Member

Hey Plumber, what do you mean you are covered up in turkeys didn't you hear the AGFC say we didn't have enough to hunt? My buddy went this morning ( without me ) and heard 6 from were he was standing and didn't know which one to go to for a while but he made the right choice. Don't know how he did that whitout me? Guess he learns fast. lol

Roger

9. plumber

plumber Active Member

Dont no were they have been counting, but they are here thats for sure.

10. Crofford

Crofford New Member

Good luck hope you guys both get big ones.I've got several buddies that turkey hunt in Kansas every year and they all say it is awsome.

11. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Hey Plumber I need to come back over for a Turkey Hunt

12. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

Im back and we didnt do any good.

They were henned up and just wouldnt work for us. Theyd gobble their heads off on the roost but once they hit the ground it was pretty much over.

We had a few that we worked a little bit and theyd start toward us and get pretty close then youd hear a real hen over there and all of a sudden you didnt hear anymore out of him. :smack:

Ive killed a few turkeys but Im not much of a turkey hunter. I can do it when everything is "right" and the turkeys come to a call but when they arent gobbling or are henned up its some of the most frustrating hunting Ive ever tried.

I think Im gonna find some SOB that I dont like and give him all my turkey huntin' stuff. :idea:

13. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

FB, you have just listed one more reasons to run dogs, and not turkey hunt. We all know dogs are never frustrating in the least.

14. daveh

daveh Active Member

thats turkey huntin. i have killed a bunch. there hard to kill when there with the hens. i don`t turkey hunt much anymore. but my buddy that i run hounds with got addicted. 2 season`s ago i called in a 24lber in indiana for him. so now he hunts and i call. going next weds for opening day of indiana and try to call him one up.:D

15. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

i agree with you jeff

16. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

If the turkeys don't get you frusrated, the turkeys hunting them will.They come in knowing you are already on the bird and working him.Some even park within sight of your truck.