Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10AC would ya mind posting that recipe?

You can either do a whole backstrap or just a end like I did.

-Butterfly the backstrap
-Rub olive ove oil on both sides(inside and out)
-Sprinkle with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
-Spread Cream Cheese inside(or cut into chunks and put them inside)
-Put 2-3 TBSP of butter on top of the cream cheese(optional but does help with deer meat)
-Lay the spinach on top of butter and cream cheese then roll and wrap/tie with butcher string

I cooked this one using the reverse sear method. I smoked it offset at 230 degrees using a chunk of fresh post oak until the internal temp of the meat got up to about 120. I then added more coals and got temp up to about 350 degrees and placed the backstrap on the grate directly over the coals until internal temp read 130 and pulled it off to let it rest a few minutes before slicing. This is also an excellent way to grill your steaks if you never have just make sure when its time to sear it for steaks your temps are around 450-500 degrees.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look up how to make a bacon weave. You can wrap your back strap in the bacon and cook it offset from your coals until the bacon is to your likeness. The fat from the bacon will keep the deer meat moist. I also like to take roasts(even whole hams) and trim all the membrane and stuff off of it. Make slices in the meat and stuff bacon in the slices basting with Italian dressing while it smokes. Very good!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can either do a whole backstrap or just a end like I did.

-Butterfly the backstrap
-Rub olive ove oil on both sides(inside and out)
-Sprinkle with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
-Spread Cream Cheese inside(or cut into chunks and put them inside)
-Put 2-3 TBSP of butter on top of the cream cheese(optional but does help with deer meat)
-Lay the spinach on top of butter and cream cheese then roll and wrap/tie with butcher string

I cooked this one using the reverse sear method. I smoked it offset at 230 degrees using a chunk of fresh post oak until the internal temp of the meat got up to about 120. I then added more coals and got temp up to about 350 degrees and placed the backstrap on the grate directly over the coals until internal temp read 130 and pulled it off to let it rest a few minutes before slicing. This is also an excellent way to grill your steaks if you never have just make sure when its time to sear it for steaks your temps are around 450-500 degrees.
10 those look really good. I'm going to have to try it !!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts