Kinda new to this!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Pack Trash Kennels, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Hello, I'm John or Tacklebox as most know me. I own and have been trialing Beagles on fox for awhile now, I know most of you are not into this or dont agree with it but I love it, I like to think I'm pretty good with dogs and I just made my male a Field Champion (in the fox beagle world). Growing up my uncle and great uncle had rabbit dogs and every second I could be I was in the briars with them, I loved it and miss it! I have decided to get back into rabbit dogs, I have two females off the blood line we run in the fox pen they are about 5 months old, I want to find a good broke dog to help with starting these dogs, what should I look for or anyone have any reccomendations of anyone in Va. that is trust worthy to get a broke dog from? In the fox beagle world I know what breeding to look for and who is on the up & up and who to stay clear of, but this is a different world!! Any info or help is greatly appriciated and I hope no one frowns on me for what I do with my other dogs!! Tacklebox

2. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

I dont frown on you for it. :wink:

Wish I could help with a breeder in Va. but I dont know anybody from that area.

3. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

John it dont matter to me what you run with your beagles, as long as you have a good time doing it. I like to run rabbits myself, thats what I enjoy. I wouldn't look down on you for running foxes

4. RKW

RKW Active Member

I used to fox hunt with Walkers and Julys years ago. The fellowship of hunting with your buddies made the hunting fun. We had one older gentleman that didn't have any dogs but would come hunting every night we went and bring all kinds food and drinks ( cokes ) to share with everyone. We called him Grocery Box. He said he would furnish the food and we could furnish the fox race. Beagles are bred to run you decide what you want them to run. Have fun.

Roger

5. I use to fox or coyote hunt and I enjoyed every minute that was with my walker. than my first beagle I didn't matter what they were running as long as it fox ,rabbit,deer I just like listen to them run

6. Thanks guys, like I said I grew up with rabbit dogs, then got away from hunting for awhile, then my first real pack of dogs that were all mine were beagle I ran on deer. I loved working with the dogs especialy young dogs. Nothing like hearing your dogs jump and run, only problem was after dark I was left tracking dogs all night by my self!!! Anyways, I have a great blood line that we run and I'm gonna start some of the smaller ones on rabbits but I need to get something thats broke to help me!

7. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    People that havent seen these beagles run a coyote or red fox would be amazed at their speed and don't think that they are afraid of a coyote. I know alot of the beagle on fox guys down here (G Gang and the Pea Ridge crew) aren't far from me. I have a younger brother that still runs Walkers and has a running pen. In fact I am judging a puppy hunt there next weekend. I love to listen to good hounds run but prefer outside hounds as opposed to pen hounds.

James

8. James, I know Mr. Ramblin and the G Gang has some good dogs, we should see them next month at the Nationals, its being held some where in Mississippi! I love my Fox/Coyote dogs and love running in the pen but I'm very excited to get back to Rabbit hunting and getting my pack started!!

9. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    Small world isn't it? They are very competitive and hard to beat...

James