Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Years ago when we had a lot on the River, their was one Black Squirrel I saw travel through the trees along the River Bank every morning that we were there. The first time I saw it, it was smaller then the other Squirrels. I thought it was full grown and was just a smaller species of Squirrel. It kept getting larger and larger until it was a very large Squirrel. The other property owners along that stretch of the River were as we and just admired it. Then it disappeared, never saw it again.

I Fished Toledo Bend on the Texas/Lousiana Border. We mostly camped out in the Sabine National Forest on the Texas side. I had seen Albino and Black Squirrels there. It was not unusual to see them. A couple times we got awakened by a Squirrel landing on our Tent. Actually at Toledo Bend was the first place I saw an Albino Squirrel. I never saw an Albino on the Louisiana side.

Amazing how this site can bring out some of the good old memories that I hadn't thought of in many, many years.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen solid black ones. Have never seen a white one in the wild, just pictures. I killed several this morning, and almost cleaned this one. The more I looked at it, the more I thought it would look good mounted. I wiped what blood I could off the fur, and froze it. I think this one is going to the taxidermist.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My dad has 3 pure black ones (grey squirrels) that come to his bird feeder every day, I have only saw 1 in my life while hunting, here in central va no populations of fox squirrels

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've seen a couple like him before my grandaddy told me it's where they peel walnuts and that black stuff in them dies their fur

·
Registered
634 Posts
Years ago when we had a lot on the River, their was one Black Squirrel I saw travel through the trees along the River Bank every morning that we were there. The first time I saw it, it was smaller then the other Squirrels. I thought it was full grown and was just a smaller species of Squirrel. It kept getting larger and larger until it was a very large Squirrel. The other property owners along that stretch of the River were as we and just admired it. Then it disappeared, never saw it again.

I Fished Toledo Bend on the Texas/Lousiana Border. We mostly camped out in the Sabine National Forest on the Texas side. I had seen Albino and Black Squirrels there. It was not unusual to see them. A couple times we got awakened by a Squirrel landing on our Tent. Actually at Toledo Bend was the first place I saw an Albino Squirrel. I never saw an Albino on the Louisiana side.

Amazing how this site can bring out some of the good old memories that I hadn't thought of in many, many years.
I much appreciate you sharing your wonderfull memories with us,Mr John.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That bugger is unique!
I wonder what it would cost to have him mounted. I bet it's a costly critter
I payed $250 a few years ago for my son's first fox squirrel with his first Gamo pellet rifle. Free handed at about 35 yards. He was as proud as a peacock! It turned out better than I thought it would. They freeze dry them. And I would take that one to the taxidermist too Arky!
Smile Photograph Vertebrate Textile Flash photography

Rodent Scaled reptile Squirrel Whiskers Fawn

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I payed $250 a few years ago for my son's first fox squirrel with his first Gamo pellet rifle. Free handed at about 35 yards. He was as proud as a peacock! It turned out better than I thought it would. They freeze dry them. And I would take that one to the taxidermist too Arky!
View attachment 57386
View attachment 57385
Awesome, he will never forget it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts