Kent Thompson and the White Rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Echo Hill's, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    It's raining too hard to run today so I thought I might tell ya'll another story.

Mr Kent, as I told everyone liked hounds that would really drive a rabbit and bark at him. He was around all of us that had mostly Blackcreeks and he could tolerate them as long as they would keep a rabbit moving.

One day he asked me if I owned his Polly female what would I breed her to and why. Now Polly was hare bred but was more like our hounds and was a rabbit running machine. I told Kent that I would bred to another good friend of ours, R V Perot's Hales Bosco Dan which was off Hales Nubbin and a blackcreek female of Sonny Hale's. Dan was without question the best 13" male that Nubbin ever sired and had the most outstanding fast clear chop mouth you ever heard. Polly also had the same type mouth but was slightly faster and that got Kent interested in making the cross. I thought it was the perfect cross.

Well Kent and R V made the cross and we all started trying to reserve some pups but Kent wasn't going to let anybody have one but R V . I think she had 6 puppies and Kent called me the morning they were born and said you need to come see these little pups. They were probably the prettiest litter I had seen and they were black dot eyed just like Blackcreeks except one open marked male and I told Kent I wanted the odd ball which he informed me was RV's. Kent worried with these pups more than any I had ever seen him do before. He made them a special place in his feed shed and they were living the life of Riley(excuse the pun). He messed with them every day from the time their eyes opened making them do anything he wanted them to do and they would mind him better than most kids.

Kent started looking for a tame rabbit and had no success in finding one that was brown but did find one big ole white rabbit. He made him a rolling cage to tease the little pups with and started showing them this white rabbit every day. Finally he called me one morning and said come see and listen to my pups. I had no idea that he had been doing this but when I got there I could hear this pack that sounded like it was running out at the kennels. Pretty sounding high clear chops that were almost deafening. Kent was standing there laughing with his chest poked out and said they are about ready to start. Now the pups hated that white rabbit and were trying their best to get him out of that cage! At the time they were about 3 months old and I told Kent to let them grow some more but he didn't listen to me of course.

A couple of days later he called and said well my pups started today and you need to meet me and R V in the morning at Gentry's to see this! I couldn't hardly sleep cause I was as excited as they were . He said they had taken them with their daddy and the pups started a track before Ole Dan came and took it away from them but the pups kept hammering along till Kent caught them.

The next morning , they were there before me and man were they excited! We had a parking area just off the road and at the edge of the opening sat a big old swamper eating grass. Kent said, it could not be any better than this and said James walk towards the rabbit and I will let them loose, you are fixing to see something like you have never seen before! RV couldn't stand it and said he is right this time watch this! They were pumped up!

I called the little fellas as they put them on the ground and they came charging towards me, went right past the rabbit and me, headed towards the ditch bank. All of a sudden a huge roar of them chop mouths erupted and I rushed over towards the ditch to see with Kent and RV right behind hooting and hollering. I got there first and just fell to my knees laughing as they were getting there. Kent said what the world are they doing but I couldn't say a word from laughing as the pups were attacking a white gallon milk jug laying in that ditch.. Kent couldn't say anything and RV went back towards the trucks with his hands in his pockets!!!!!!!!

2. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

Might as well stop now, you cant top that one

3. RKW

RKW Active Member

That was pretty good James but it's not through raining yet and I know you've got some more good ones. lol:clap::clap::clap:

Roger

4. Oh my gosh. I gotta pee.:fit:

5. that was just to good

6. Jeff Gammon

Me and dad did run a rabbit back in the summer that was blue, we saw him 3 times during one race. Dad is 65 and that is the first one he has seen. I'm 44 and never seen one either

7. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    The little open marked male turned out to be the best pup by far and RV never took him away from Kent. Kent named him King but he was killed crossing over a black top road running a rabbit before he was a year old. Several others in the litter were awful nice but wound up in the hands of some rabbit hunters and they were never heard from again.

8. Jeff Gammon

I bet the rabbit hunters sure enjoyed them

9. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    After seeing the post about someone wondering about the rolling cage, I had to bring this old post back up for those that never saw it. Stills make me laugh at my ole buddy and I'm sure it would still aggravate him if he was still here.

10. rabbit hunter

rabbit hunter New Member

That's a great story......:clap:

11. Dino

Dino Active Member