Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
This is a good question. Some people register a whole litter in their kennel name before they sell a pup. One guy told me after he had already put a pup in his name that i bought from him, he said he could keep up with his bloodline that way if he ever saw the dogs name in a pedigree. If a person raises a litter of pups and gets them started and some don't suite him and they need to be registered before they get into the penalty bracket, what's he going to do? Does he register the ones he don't like in his kennel name and sell them and possible ruin his repitation as a good breeder, does he not register them and give them away?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Seems to me you should have to take the good with the bad. If your gonna give the good pups your kennel name shouldn't you give them all the name. Then you could know all about the bloodline. Good and bad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've never given the hole litter a Kennel name. Myself think people who buy them, that is if you sell them likes to name them. I've had people ask if they could put my Kennel Name on the papers and I have no problem with it, but its their dog and they can name it anything they want. Now thats me! I'm not talking for everyone, just myself!

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
The only criteria I have is that I was the breeder/owner. If I sell a pup its the buyer's choice but if I buy it or am the breeder, I use my kennel name.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The only criteria I have is that I was the breeder/owner. If I sell a pup its the buyer's choice but if I buy it or am the breeder, I use my kennel name.

Freddie, I agree with you but sometimes the name may just come off the top of your head, EI; I'm thinking about "The Lonesome Dog Kennels" since I sold my hounds or maybe something like "The Happy Rabbit Kennels", What do you think, kinda catchy uh? lol

Roger

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you know the AKC will allow you to "white out" a name or part of a name on puppy papers your sending in for registration? They say the actual owner of the puppy at time of registration has the right to name the dog, regardless of what the breeder may have filled in the name slot! I agree.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
they both sound good roger ... how you been doing
Hey Keith, I've been pretty busy down here, up at 4:00 am and in bed by 8:30 pm most of the time if not sooner. Don't have much time too chat or energy to stay up late either. How have you been doing?

Roger

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just hoping for some more discussion on this topic...

Can a breeder insist that his name stay on a pup that you buy from him? I have just bought a pup (on puppy papers) and the breeder has written in his kennel name as well as named the pup; is what dbounds said about this true--can I just change the name to whatever I want since I am the one registering the dog?

I have mostly owned unregistered dogs all my life, but have owned a few registered dogs in the past, but none on puppy papers before. Therefore, I have never had to deal with this problem, but I want to put my kennel name on the pup since he is going to be in my kennel for several years to come. BUT...I am a pretty ignorant on this topic and am not sure if that is appropriate :headscratch: . Thanks for any input!

Backwoods

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The buyer has the right to name the pup. Look on your puppy papers, every where that is in red, the buyer fills out. Every where that is in blue the breeder fills out. Some breeders pay AKC extra and have the whole litter registered in their name and then sell the pups, but if you buy such a pup and it has not had pups or bred a female you can pay AKC again and have a name change.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, he didn't demand it aloud or anything, and I just didn't notice until I got home with the pup and started looking at my paperwork again, that he had already filled in the name with his kennel name and named the pup. Based on what I had read, I thought that I could change it, but just wanted to make sure.

Saltzer, how would I know if the breeder registered the whole litter like you say they can?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Well, he didn't demand it aloud or anything, and I just didn't notice until I got home with the pup and started looking at my paperwork again, that he had already filled in the name with his kennel name and named the pup. Based on what I had read, I thought that I could change it, but just wanted to make sure.

Saltzer, how would I know if the breeder registered the whole litter like you say they can?
Instead of the breeder giving you puppy papers he would give you the white papers (registration certificate) and the pup would be in his (breeders) name. Why don't you just go online and reg. the pup in your name and name it whatever and then put the puppy papers in file X. because you have no need of them any more.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The buyer has the right to name the pup. Look on your puppy papers, every where that is in red, the buyer fills out. Every where that is in blue the breeder fills out. Some breeders pay AKC extra and have the whole litter registered in their name and then sell the pups, but if you buy such a pup and it has not had pups or bred a female you can pay AKC again and have a name change.
There's a little more to it than that. The dog must have been born in the US. If the litter owner individually registers the dog, you have to have their written consent. If the dog's name contains a Registered Kennel Name, you have to have written consent from the owner of that name. The dog can not have received an award at an AKC-licensed or member event. (Field Trial)

Backwoods, non of this probably applies to your pup? You can do like Saltzer said and register it on line. It always aggravated me for a litter owner to fill in names!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts