Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to keep dogs from overheating while running them during the summer months. Obviously I use common sense, morning or evenings. Have plenty of water available.
The other night I was running a very driven and hard hitting male. After a long circle he collapsed at my feet. He's in great shape and only just turned 2. After a good long rest he was back on his feet but a little wobbly. We called it a night and he's doing fine now.
This dog just doesn't like the heat and his intensity is like no other. That being said, he's much more susceptible to get over heated compared to the other dogs

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
I wouldn't run in the heat. Killed the best dog I ever owned running in hot weather. Did same as yours came in, fell at my feet. Come October after a long run his organs began to fail. Vet asked if he had ever been overheated. Yep! It is hard to lay up in summer, but the health of the dog comes first. Yes they want to run, but we are the brains of the outfit and know whats best. The fact your hound collapsed at your feet tells me he dont need to run in the heat.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang Spini your scaring me. The temperature was under 80°. It was fine around the house with a nice cool breeze but when we arrived at the running area it was stale humid air. None of the other dogs had any problem but they're not geared like him. I'll give him a well deserved R&R

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Dang Spini your scaring me. The temperature was under 80°. It was fine around the house with a nice cool breeze but when we arrived at the running area it was stale humid air. None of the other dogs had any problem but they're not geared like him. I'll give him a well deserved R&R
Sorry, not trying to, just my experience. I am sure yours will be OK.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I had one do the same thing several years back. She was a hard hunting and running dog. Never was much good afterwards. She got hot really quick and would have to be placed in the dog box. Be careful with him!!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I would not run unless it’s the morning or when sun just starts to go down. Bring some jugs of water that you can splash, put on their underside.
If you do run I would only run him 1/4 to 1/2 of the times of the others. Running in the rain is good as well. When the temp is 80, in the brush it’s even hotter close to the ground.

I would not run him if he was my dog until the temps drop, he might not be ran, but at least he’s alive. He sounds like a good dog, I wouldn’t jeopardize his health or life. I had a 13” female years ago that got out of the kennel it was hot she came home and died from heat exhaustion.
If they aren’t run they don’t forget how to do it, they will be a little out shape, and alive to run again to get into shape. JMHO

·
Registered
980 Posts
Had a Patch hound years ago that was running a rabbit on a day that started off cool but quickly got hotter as the day went on, he was running hard than all at once his bark changed, didn’t know what was going on, went to him only to find him running the rabbit pulling himself along by his front legs as he had lost the use of his rear legs, was dragging them behind him, but dang he wouldn’t quit. picked him up and put him in near by stream to cool him down. He went on to still be a very good hound but never had the stamina he had previously. These little hounds give us all they got

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Early mornings (break of dawn) is the only time for me in summer. I never run at night at any time of year, and most nights the temperature stays up for hours after sundown anyway. There’s something special about being out on a foggy morning listening to a chase before the rest of the world is up and moving. Best time of day.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I wouldn't run in the heat. Killed the best dog I ever owned running in hot weather. Did same as yours came in, fell at my feet. Come October after a long run his organs began to fail. Vet asked if he had ever been overheated. Yep! It is hard to lay up in summer, but the health of the dog comes first. Yes they want to run, but we are the brains of the outfit and know whats best. The fact your hound collapsed at your feet tells me he dont need to run in the heat.
X2,I have been badly overheated twice and it's ruined me for heat.My thought is to always to put my dogs' health first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts