Rabbit Dogs banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Kansas is low on rabbits because of out of state hunters. We don't have what we used to have. Out of state hunters killed 100 rabbits in me and my dad's old spot. We don't have enough rabbits for you guys now so stay out of kansas please.
Kansas has been known as a hot spot, doesn鈥檛 the state game have limits on the amount shot, for residents and out of staters? The rabbits will get depleted and may never come back to the numbers as before. JMO

Registered
Had the same thing on Beaver Island , Michigan. Mainland and out of staters would come to the island shoot 50 or more snowshoes and just leave then to rot. The Locals on the island complained and a lot of the land was posted NO HUNTING because of the carnage.
Its all about bragging rights on how many they shot. JMO

Registered
Kansas is beautiful Country!!! I never hunted it, only drove through on the way to attend a funeral. Beautiful, Beautiful Country. As much as I heard of it being great hunting country, I saw a lot of open farm land. Here in Louisiana most of the hunting land is overgrown, really thick to the point it is hard to penetrate. I tried to imagine where the big populations of deer, Big Game would hide in the open country of Kansas. I guess traveling along the interstate didn't give me the full picture. If rabbits do populate this open country I can see where great numbers of rabbit can be taken fairly easy.. Surely country that I wouldn't mind running Beagles in. Don't worry about me hurting your rabbit or deer population, as I don't actually hunt to take game anymore. I enjoy pleasure running, letting them run for another day. I didn't understand my Grandfather and Dad, as when they got older they were the same. As I would gun hunt, but they quit, but enjoyed seeing wildlife. I am the same today.

Registered
They've done the same on Drummond, southerners came up in droves and shot tailgate loads, then post the pics on forums which made even more come up.
Numbers are nowhere near what they used to be and the wolves are an issue as well. It's hard to find a hare up on the plains anymore.

I go to the Island several times a year and take the hounds every time, haven't fired a shot there in 10 years. Fortunately, I have some good friends there, one in particular owns a large tract of land and he lets me run whenever I want to.

I went down by Busky a few weeks ago, never fired a shot. I travel to run hounds for the enjoyment of meeting and running hounds with new friends in different terrain/climates/species, not to shoot their rabbits. I harvest enough cottontails here at home throughout the season, I don't need to shoot any on my hound travels.

Hoping to make a trip out to KS. to run with Hillsdale and Spini some day, no intention of shooting any rabbits, just run hounds with some good ole boys and hounds.

To each their own though, if you buy a license and harvest a legal bag limit, not much anyone can say about it.

Registered
Had the same thing on Beaver Island , Michigan. Mainland and out of staters would come to the island shoot 50 or more snowshoes and just leave then to rot. The Locals on the island complained and a lot of the land was posted NO HUNTING because of the carnage.
Its all about bragging rights on how many they shot. JMO
I think what upset the locals on Beaver Island was people shooting a bunch of hare then leaving them in piles where they were parked and drove off. That鈥檚 different from a tailgate full that goes into a freezer to be eaten.

Usually a place where you can shoot a tailgate full will see populations bounce back rather quickly because the habitat is there. Otherwise there would not have been so many rabbits in the first place. Somewhere like Drummond where a new super predator like a wolf has been introduced may be a little different story. But Kansas has not seen a change like that.

We cannot really complain about other hunters as long as they are following the game laws. Hunters all need to stick together and be supportive in this day and time. Best thing anyone can do if worried someone will shoot 鈥測our鈥 rabbits is buy your own land. Then you have control.

Super Moderator
Its all about respect. I have no problem with folks coming to hunt here. I promote our great States hunting more than anyone. But when people come from out of state and harvest 250 rabbits in a week on one piece of state land. Thats just being disrespectful. Is it lawful? Yes! Is it right, I dont think so.

There is a state wildlife area in the state that seemed to become the place to go. I know of 4 different groups from out of state that come every year for a week with 5 or more shooters. Every group takes home 100 to 250 rabbits a trip. This big area use to be great hunting, now you have to now where to go because there are only a couple places left with any rabbits.
These groups are like the alien shows where they swoop in and destroy a planet then move on. Just disrespectful, they dont care, they have no skin in the game!

With that said, I enjoy hunting with folks from out of state. But I have stopped helping folks out or telling them good areas to go. I noticed they never offered to have me come to their places.

The other thing I noticed, when you pull up to talk to them, just to shoot the **** maybe make some new friends. They are always Jerks! Almost like their guilty of something.

Like I said I enjoy hunting with other folks or just talking with them. We had our trial this past weekend and a couple groups came a fee days early to run and hunt. The Rapid Run gang came up, but didn't blast 200 rabbits. Joel even thanked me for telling him about the spot a few years ago. My buddy Adam came and ran with Mike and I got to talk to him quite a bit. I feel like we are being good host to our brothers. I am proud to live in Kansas and our outdoor paradise. If folks would just be respectful and treat it like their running grounds, it would be OK.

I do think its time we push for a season and reduce the daily limit.

If you come to Kansas welcome, have a good time, respect our running grounds, make some new friends.

Registered
GET THE WORD OUT TO ALL YOUR COYOTE HUNTING BUDDIES!!!!!!!

Indiana is the Kansas of Coyote hunting! Come from out of state and fill up your tailgate! We will not be butt-hurt either if you decide not to eat them! Just leave them in the pile there and we will field dress them and get them to the appropriate eateries!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
GET THE WORD OUT TO ALL YOUR COYOTE HUNTING BUDDIES!!!!!!!

Indiana is the Kansas of Coyote hunting! Come from out of state and fill up your tailgate! We will not be butt-hurt either if you decide not to eat them! Just leave them in the pile there and we will field dress them and get them to the appropriate eateries!!!!
Do not hunt our rabbits.

Super Moderator
The man is aggravated and I get it.
lonebeagles maybe we can start something and go to the commission and get all our KS Beaglers to jump in and petition for a season on rabbits. That would help some. Lots of the out of staters come before and after their seasons. Maybe ask for a limit reduction.
Its just a thought.

I was under the impression that the commission was already looking at that, but that turned out to be false. So maybe we can try to get that going.

Super Moderator
Totally understand being aggravated but the part about you guys stay out of Kansas might of been the wrong way to put it lol
To be honest thats probably an invite to some
Agree! But it does no good to poke that bear when you can read a person is already aggravated. Best to let them vent and move on. That will keep the post from going South.

Registered
You may be right Spini but I for am tried of people whining, bellyaching then demanding something. Thinking that's the process to get the end result that is desired. Being part of the solution like you advised about contacting commissioners is the answer. Whining, bellyaching , and demanding is what little kids do that have not been disciplined enough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.