Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a year old, male, weircreek influenced beagle. Got him to train as a rabbit dog but does not show interest in it. He will run with other dogs and sight chase but not track with his nose. Located near Terre Haute, Indiana. Will not driving or ship. Pedigree in pictures. Looking for what I put into him, if interested me please contact me for pricing.
upload_2020-4-26_19-58-25.jpeg

upload_2020-4-26_19-58-42.jpeg

upload_2020-4-26_19-59-7.jpeg

upload_2020-4-26_19-59-23.jpeg

upload_2020-4-26_19-59-40.jpeg

upload_2020-4-26_19-59-57.jpeg

upload_2020-4-26_20-0-54.jpeg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice looking pup. I had one some time back that was a late bloomer. He was over a year old when he started. He never would run with another dog. He started solo and that's the only way he would run a rabbit. He turned out to be a good rabbit dog but he would solo only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking pup. I had one some time back that was a late bloomer. He was over a year old when he started. He never would run with another dog. He started solo and that's the only way he would run a rabbit. He turned out to be a good rabbit dog but he would solo only.
Thank you, he is very energetic and sweet but he seems to only want to sight chase.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So did mine. One time he started sight chasing one and when the other dogs fell in on it he quit and came back to me. Lol! The only two things that saved him was I knew he was out of good stock and he was a real good looking dog. Looked a lot like your dog. I started taking him out behind the house at night with my hunting light. When I saw a rabbit I would pick him and walk toward the rabbit holding his head so when the rabbit took off he would see it go. He would give a very short sight chase and come back , never barked. One night we had a fresh snow and I took him out back and when the rabbit took off he sight chased it a bit , came and started smelling where the rabbit had been setting. Then he started moving the track real slow. The more he worked it the more he snuffled and snorted. Then he yipped a couple times then barked. The further he went the faster he got and the harder he barked and he circled that rabbit. He turned out to be a pretty darn good rabbit dog. Would not run with the other dogs. Solo only. I sold him to a guy who wanted one rabbit dog for him and his son. They loved him. If I didn't live so far from you I would be tempted to take a chance on that dog.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We do down here in NC. I lived in Pa at the time I had that young male. That was about 15 years ago.I don't run my dogs down here because of the coyotes. I lost the best rabbit dog I ever had to a coyote attack a couple years ago. She was a good one. Never got a pup out her. If I was to take a young like yours out at night I would stay right on his heals with a light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts