Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys consider a jump dog? I have heard a "real" one is like a unicorn, not very easy to find, cant teach it but will have the stuff naturally , I have one I "call" a jump dog because he seems to get the pack going most of the time and I have actually saw him jump rabbits. I will watch him work the ground and he will go in the briars /brush to work , I will also see him at times I guess you call it "birdog" trying to get a scent , like I said I loosely call him my "jumpdog" and hear a true one doesnt come often and not in every kennel. So just want to hear what some of you much more experienced houndsmen think

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I like the bird dog analogy of a jump dog. There two types of dogs, one that can run a rabbit and one that KNOWS how to run a rabbit. They jump it, and figure out every thing the rabbit does until its shot, caught or goes to ground. JMO

Right now I have 3 jump dogs- the 3 pups jump into the truck and jump out of the truck, hopefully they will be able to jump and run a rabbit and then KNOW how to run a rabbit. LOL, JMO

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I owned a female for many years that was the true definition of a jump dog and no she did not beat up every patch of briars and brush.If she didn't pay it any attention there wasn't a rabbit in there.She worked the edges of most patches while most of the dogs were beating bushes.You get a whimper and a bawl and in she would go and out she would come with the rabbit.Over and over again Just made it look easy.Jumped 80% of the rabbits we run for a long time.And oh yeah She could run the piss out of him too.Sure do miss her.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I wouldn’t get to caught up in all the TRUE JUMP DOG bs. That’s usually just the fastest dog in a pack IMO. Every dog in my kennel is a jump dog if they make it to the brush before the others do. Yeah there like a unicorn sure enough lol.
Have several good jump hounds over the years considering the terms of a real jump hounds or true jump dog ..I still have a few most of my hounds are jump dog but the true jump dog have a few that really get in and go with it.When turn loses get in everything and cover every foot of it Housel none stop the whole Hunt harder than most will get in where most dogs won’t never Quit hustling and working hard.As a true gun hound have a couple and had a few over the years .Will come running to where shot fired .. Right at where stand when shot at Rabbit when in race. The hound will come running straight to where the shot come from jumping in sniffing and barking around gun powder and al either found a rabbit or hit the track and hauled ass every time .That’s a gun dog to me just my opinion.. Jmop

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
The definition of a Beagle is "A trailing hound that finds game". So on average most beagles start a track that works into a live rabbit. This works perfectly fine on most days, especially when rabbits are moving about. Since the breed standard states that beagles are a trailing hound, dogs that bi-pass the trails left by rabbits and actually look for the live rabbit are not really normal. However, many intelligent trailing hounds learn how to locate rabbits in the bed after much age and experience. I've owned quite a few of these. What is generally called a "True Jumpdog" always finds the rabbit in the bed before running the trail. There are also different levels of these, pretty good, good, very good and once in a lifetime. If you've ever owned the once in a lifetime hound you will know it and they are priceless on those days when rabbits are sitting tight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have hunted behind what I called a true jumpdog. Most beagles will hunt and search and eventually find a rabbit, some more than others. But true jumpdogs seem to hardly hunt at all, they just have a knack to find a rabbit. A true jumpdog can go right behind other dogs, in thickets or ground already hunted and roll up a rabbit with ease without hunting as hard as the others. Also, ,many times a true jumpdog is not always the best track dog. The one true jumpdog I can say I hunted behind was truly amazing. We watched another group of guys hunt an area up above us. We hunted one side of the land and they hunted the other that same morning. After we hunted our side and killed plenty we went to the store and got a bite to eat. As they walked to the truck with what looked like one rabbit, we then moved over to the same place they had just hunted and in a couple hours killed 7. She was something else. And she could run the front as good as any dog I had seen.

And yes it seems it is born in them. But a lot of true jump dogs back in the day, learn by staying loose. Hard to do nowadays, but years ago when you could just let hunting dogs run loose around the house, those dogs just seemed to learn how to easily find and jump and rabbit and where "self taught".

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I have hunted behind what I called a true jumpdog. Most beagles will hunt and search and eventually find a rabbit, some more than others. But true jumpdogs seem to hardly hunt at all, they just have a knack to find a rabbit. A true jumpdog can go right behind other dogs, in thickets or ground already hunted and roll up a rabbit with ease without hunting as hard as the others. Also, ,many times a true jumpdog is not always the best track dog. The one true jumpdog I can say I hunted behind was truly amazing. We watched another group of guys hunt an area up above us. We hunted one side of the land and they hunted the other that same morning. After we hunted our side and killed plenty we went to the store and got a bite to eat. As they walked to the truck with what looked like one rabbit, we then moved over to the same place they had just hunted and in a couple hours killed 7. She was something else. And she could run the front as good as any dog I had seen.

And yes it seems it is born in them. But a lot of true jump dogs back in the day, learn by staying loose. Hard to do nowadays, but years ago when you could just let hunting dogs run loose around the house, those dogs just seemed to learn how to easily find and jump and rabbit and where "self taught".
That would be embarrassing . I might would have to get some new dogs . Two would be embarrassing , but 7 would be a disgrace for me . I might have to start letting mine run free .

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
I think its a unicorn because we tend to over think everything. Just like what makes a real houndsman. We like to muddy the waters due to pride or make ourselves feel better, I dont know. I am a ignorant simpleton red neck guy with hounds.

If I turn loose anywhere, and the same hound is jumping the rabbits in all conditions, he is my jump dog. Pull up, drop the tailgate, turn loose, get a rabbit up and run the hair off till I shoot it. Or in off season till you catch it or run it in.
Other than that, I dont care.

·
Registered
745 Posts

That’s what I was looking for new some would say it . The can find a rabbit if ones around when others can’t. And would go anywhere to do it had one when you turned him lose you may have to run him down he was going to find a rabbit and was the first about every time. Would draw all the other hounds to him if didn’t get one up very soon and close to where you let loose at.. Some time make you made he he found one it was no Lost or quit .He had to kill the rabbit and go hunt with him was hard when you was in areas were rabbit population was very poor he was going to find a rabbit for sure.. lol

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Everybody has a dog in their pack that jumps their rabbits but not everybody has a jump dog. The word hunt doesn't come to mind as much as INSTINCT does. When I think of a true jump dog I think of one that sees the rest of the dogs going right and it goes left on its own. It NEVER boohoos around on a cold track, and while it definitely isn't lazy it will pass up thickets that most other dogs will go into and search through and through to find a rabbit. The jump dog just goes off to the side somewhere and has a rabbit up before you know it. I owned 1 and she was a natural. By the time she was 3 or 4 and got even more wise she was pretty dang amazing in my book. You could lock her in a shed and if she didn't find a rabbit in there she would use the tools to build you one!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
JMO a true jump dog is very rare it’s one that will produce 90% of the fur bunnies during a hunt the other 10% comes from the rest of the pack that the ole fur bunny got pushed out during the hunt. Jump dog are sneaky and smart just watch one put the full sneak attack on a bunny it will be silent and use it nose to nudge the rabbit off the bed time and time again no bark till the rabbit moves and then is goes into total attach mode and dogs come running sides ways to join in on the fun. If you have this dog protect it with all your might because they only come along every 15 years or so. Most beagle hound jump or what we call jump but True Blue Jump dogs are special it’s the difference between killing 2 rabbits or 10 rabbits.

·
Registered
909 Posts
We (my Dad & I) had 2 true jump dogs. Like most have said they seem to "make" a rabbit. All the others go in & nothing comes out. Jump dog goes in & out comes Mr. Bunny. As Aubbietiger stated they never made a sound till they had their nose on his tail. They also were our best check dogs. The old male one we had even caught a couple in the bed. So not sure if he was a jump dog or a catch dog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts