Judging Scenario-SPO

Discussion in 'Judges Chambers' started by Echo Hill's, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    After reading Rosco's post on judging advice, I think it is time to lay out some situations for open discussion. Everyone welcome to add imput so we may be enlightened. Everyone is now in the Judges Position.

First cast: 6 hounds

Hounds are cast to search and after a few minutes the hounds are actually working cover and you notice the white collar is just following along behind the green and blue who are hunting like Indians. Red,Yellow and Orange are working along with the gallery but seem to hunt fair.A rabbit is jumped by the gallery and pack is placed on this rabbit.

All hounds are in the pack and white is scoring heavily as is green and blue. Blue tends to rush to the front coming off the checks and can carry the front better than anything in the pack. Red, Orange and Yellow are fighting to control the back of the race and aren't getting much done. Green stays closer on the checks and tends to run 2nd Slot and 3rd but can cut the white and Blue at times. White gets wider than the other hounds quicker on checks and gets most of the hard checks.

Now what would you do with this pack and try to convince me as your judging partner?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. Beagler282

Beagler282 Active Member

GA
    Red,orange and yellow should come up if they aren't contributing.Less dogs means less pressure on the other hounds.I would score the other 3 to see who can get the most done.To ''ME'' it's more about what they get done than how they do it but within reason.This is just my opinion on running 6 dogs to find out which is the best because depending on which format rule book you're using will determine the outcome of the race and if and when the dogs should be picked up.

3. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    Can use AKC SPO format if it makes it easier. This for example only and for fun. Internet judging isn't easy!

I agree with picking up 2 of the low contributors , they may do nothing wrong but nothing positive. You pick 2 cause it doesn't matter since I said all 3 would search and I'm after another one anyway. So basically, they are equal and we can only pick 2 at a time.

Now I want to interject a little, Here is where some handlers say why didn't you pick up something off the front or why don't you pick up the looser hound??? My hound can't run with stuff like that! :wink:

Now we have four to choose from, the race continues............

4. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Ok - So you have picked up Orange and Yellow out of the pack for Low score.

You leave Red down a little longer to see if it will start to score some in a smaller pack (4 hounds running now)

I score them in my book as the high hound so far as Green, White, Blue, and Red.

Remember - We are running Pack dogs not brace hounds. You have to run some bunny to win, BUT do it with less faults than the other hounds.

PROCEDURE 5. STANDARD FOR JUDGING
    5-A FOREWORD
    (1) The Beagle is a trailing hound whose purpose is
    to find game, to pursue it in an energetic and decisive
    manner, and to show a determination to account for it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  5. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    Now here we go!!!!!!!!!! I agree on green as high.but not white as 2nd....

6. rosco

rosco New Member

Guys,
    this is great.
    question does the dog that actually jumps score points ?

Lacking hunt is easy, its like "ugly" you know it when you see it.
    I assume hunt looks like head down, tail moving,

Is this right ? Tell me More I am starting to get it.

If I am a judge, we are on the 6th pack and I am falling behind a little bit (not ment to be negative ) how do I know a dog is swinging wide. ? what if he picks a check on another rabbit ? The pack could now split with the wide dog that is now on the wrong line.

I am trying to learn guys. Teach me.

7. bterry

bterry New Member

I am going to have the green high white second it may be getting a little wider on the checks but it is getting the hard checks and keeping us on rabbit so its making more money than its spending blue third go ahead pick up red for low score handle the pack and look at them again in the next series

8. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

------------------

All you can learn is in this Book : http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RF2404.pdf

Read and Enjoy it.

9. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    My problem hound would be white . I would have wanted to pick it up before the pack was placed on the rabbit for lack of search. It would have to prove to me that it would hunt. We have alot of hounds staying down that will not search(hunt) independently of other hounds. Merely following hounds around isn't hunting. Pick up red and handle the pack( I'll get white later on)

My card would show Green High,Blue and white on the bubble

Ready for the second pack so somebody else..... let her rip

10. bterry

bterry New Member

how long was the pack down before they jumped the rabbit?

11. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    I stated that after a few minutes the hounds were in the brush and working. Hunt should be priority one and starts when hounds are cast to search for game. Jump time really has nothing to do with it. If a hound stands in the lane,follows its handler's every step or merely shows no desire to search when it should begin to hunt it should be ordered up immediately.

12. bterry

bterry New Member

The hound wasn't in the lane it was in the brush folowing other hounds it may have needed to be picked up for not hunting but if that was the case then it should have never been placed on the rabbit and given an opportunity to score

13. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

James - you are right - I went back and re-read you post - White Collar should have a mark in the book for lack of hunting, But was not hanging around on the lanes. - So it would have to do more on the line while running to place or go on to another series.

14. rosco

rosco New Member

My hounds now sport a new name " faulty 1" faulty 2" faulty 3" "faulty 4" and "faulty 5 "

I may give someone a good deal on the whole group.

15. The rule book says a hound must hunt so before the rabbit white would have went to the truck. I will put a dog on the truck before a rabbit is up.

16. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

lost as a goose...lol judge kc

17. Echo Hill's

Echo Hill's Member

La
    If I had said in the example that you and I had noticed the hound just following hounds around as if waiting for them to start something ,White would have definitely been picked up before the race was started. I think both judges need to agree before picking anything up.

We picked this pack apart( kept 3) so somebody lay the next pack out and lets move along..

18. rosco

rosco New Member

We are ready for the 2nd pack.

Is everyone here for pack 2

19. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Yeah Rosco - you go ahead and start the 2nd pack -