Rabbit Dogs banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Will’s very interesting post begs the question of why pick up any hound with “low score”? If they aren’t obviously faulty enough to cause disruptions, why do judges feel the need to pick them up? Can’t you just not call those hounds back for 2nd series? That’s how we did it, but have the rules changed?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sir you said there’s a simple solution to all this. Stay home& that is exactly what a lot of good hounds man have done. But I can recall articles written years ago admonishing the original brace men to stop what they were doing in slowing the dogs down to do nothing worthless as a hunting dog types guys like w p land, Lew madden, Ike Carol many others. Turns out they were prophetic , look what happened. What we have today in s p o was a direct result of there attitude. Other organizations have emerged to as a result & some maybe a result of some of the things going on in trials today. True hounds man walking away in disgust or maybe trying something else. Lot what been said isn’t sour grapes it’s concern. The bottom line is a beagle should find game & account for it. & do it in a energetic manner. Get the most done to accomplish this with the least amount of wasted motion. There’s a field trial at least 3 to 4 times a week for 5 to 8 hours at a time at my house generally almost year round. They are constantly being evacuated for what’s said above. None are perfect but if they can’t at least do that they won’t get called back next week. The a k c nationals was held not long ago. I talked to a guy who had a buddy go. Drove 7 hours to the trial & they say he’s got a nice dog? His report was 2 different judges from 2 different federations judged . One didn’t even try keep up to judge even though he was on horseback. The other chased the pack on foot. He said that his dog got picked up in 7 minutes? I don’t know I wasn’t there. If that’s what’s happening & I’m not saying it did. Trailers need take heed & make a real effort to get things fixed. I sure wouldn’t cull one in 7 minutes I’d have different dogs every couple weeks. Judges are human & do make mistakes just like beagles running a rabbit. Most know that & understand. But some the stuff goes on is no mistake I’m sure. Judges are admonished to approach there task with future of the breed is in their hands& make calculated decisions toward keeping the beagle useful as a hunting & trial dogs. I hope we all do

I witnessed much of the running that wknd at the Nationals. I never saw any hounds that only had 7 minutes on the ground. With the cover or lack of , and terrain at that club , a faulty hound could be easily identified from near and far. The hounds are in sight of the judges 95 % of the time. Rabbits were plentiful , and the hounds had hardly any down time. Much easier scenario to evaluate a hounds performance.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,856 Posts
I witnessed much of the running that wknd at the Nationals. I never saw any hounds that only had 7 minutes on the ground. With the cover or lack of , and terrain at that club , a faulty hound could be easily identified from near and far. The hounds are in sight of the judges 95 % of the time. Rabbits were plentiful , and the hounds had hardly any down time. Much easier scenario to evaluate a hounds performance.
I was not referring to the AKC nationals-----they had some of the best judges i have seen----all of them---we made it to 3rd series and witter made winners pack-----overall it was a very enjoyable weekend because there was no BS in the "game"----every dog got a fair look by reputable judges that i would run under any time and not question their calls

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Every coin has two sides. I never said there are not some judges who lack the experience. There are also dishonest judges, some who favor their friends expecting and getting the same treatment. But it ain't fair to paint everyone with the same brush. If you judged five packs of dogs and have already scored five or six dogs higher than a dog who has just been along for the ride - hasn't hurt anything and hasn't helped either, why not pick him up if you ain't gonna use him? Why keep the owner hanging on until the winners pack when that owner could be half way home. And the biggest reason the numbers are down - too many trials. In my early days of trialing there would often be 200 or more hounds, but not many clubs that could hold AKC trials. Now days there are tons of clubs that hold those trials so people usually go to the ones closest to home, or the ones whose judges they like. Early on most people handled their own dogs. Now the ones who trial their hounds will often put them on the truck with a professional handler. All three of the bitches I finished were with handlers. It becomes very expensive travelling long distances to a trial, staying in a hotel, and returning home. When I trialed I went to the field with my hound but didn't follow every pack. Therefore I didn't get to see how well all of the dogs did. I still see people at trials who hang out at the clubhouse and wait for their hounds pack to be called. They have no clue what happened in the packs run before theirs or after. All they know is that they took what they thought was their best hound, took him to the field and he didnt perform well enough to be looked at further - many hounds with higher scores - and got picked up and it was because of crooked judges. Like I said, if you dont like football games then stay at home. Who has their football favorite that wins every game? Is it because of crooked refs?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I still would not pick up a hound while the running is going on for “not enough score”. Better to say “pick up #21, pick up #11, and pick up the pack” at the end of that pack’s time down. You never know when that hound with no score might get the next big check.

My biggest concern about the trials held by the clubs running the conservative style of hound is the quick judging. I don’t mean picking up a single hound, which can occasionally be necessary, but it is the judging of a whole pack in 15 minutes and the whole class by noon that concerns me. I know people probably have other things to do on their Saturday afternoons, but a trial is to pick the best hunting hound, so why not spend more time making decisions that could potentially affect the future of the breed? Does endurance play no part now?

I remember going to a UBGF trial in the North Carolina Smokey Mtns in 1985. I had watched an advertised at stud Gay Baker male named Spencer’s Gay Bob run in a trial at Jessamine County in Kentucky, and although he was outfooted, I liked his running style. So I happened to be at this NC trial and thought I would watch him again. I remember Charles Estes was one of the judges. They ran that pack 15 minutes. I was not used to such short times and was shocked, although I had attended (and judged) many Midwest Association trials by then. It was the last trial I ever saw Gay Bob. Nice hound that really didn’t get a good look there, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This is a no brainer for me.

Several of my hall of fame friends and professional handlers and judging friends who I used to trial, hunt and run dogs with tell me that field trialing today if fast, furious and explosive!
Sounds like fun!
So with that information and witnessing first hand the way things are moving today…. Mitch stays his butt home and I go hunting and fishing on my weekends and everybody is Happy, Happy, Happy!!!! Hey don’t get me wrong….I love Field Trialing and I love many of the outstanding people…. But….. I aint’ bringing a water pistol to a gun fight.

Also

#1- Me and THE AKC are moving in totally opposite directions….. Morally.

#-2- Me and AKC SPO Field Trials are also moving in two different directions when it comes to Hunting Dogs.

Hey this is America.... I joined the Marine Corps...... during war time to promote peoples Freedom to Choose.

#3- Me personally I am breeding my hounds with a focused, strong emphasis on Co-operation. This is outstanding for me! I desire a co-operating hound that honors all others accomplishments and builds on them.

#4- AKC SPO Field Trials Focus and Emphasis is rooted in Domination. This is outstanding for them! They seek a dominate hound that beats all others.

My goal in breeding the dogs I feed is….Not To Compete…..but to Contribute and Honor other hounds Work with accurate, clean, honest, hound work under full control of their actions. Believe it or not these peanut rolling plugs actually over take, catch and kill several rabbits every year during training sessions and on gun hunts while performing within these parameters….. I have set for them. The goal and expectation of the breeding’s I make is to produce a happy little hunting hound that contributes all they can starting with searching for game and during a chase until the rabbit is in a marked hole in the ground or marked hole up a tree or killed with a gun or the dogs are caught off it.

When I put a pup or grown dog or a pack down for a run I fully expect them to go find a rabbit, not a deer, not a hog, not a **** or a nutria and run that rabbit they jump without any help and hold on to it until I kill that rabbit or they put it up a marked tree or a marked hole in the ground or until I make them stop at whatever speeds necessary for…That Hound….. to accomplish that task. I expect them to account (Hold On). Loosing rabbits is not acceptable behavior and will have you removed from my home an is never taken lightly although sometimes it happens but very rarely.

So different strokes for different folks.

AKC SPO Field Trials are Successful and Extremely productive for beagles and it's outstanding participants.
And
AKC SPO Field Trials produce many a fine hound I like, admire and have great respect for.

So... do the hounds I Run and Hunt with.

It is all good if...………... you want it to be or let it be. Live and let live....go make yourself happy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a no brainer for me.

Several of my hall of fame friends and professional handlers and judging friends who I used to trial, hunt and run dogs with tell me that field trialing today if fast, furious and explosive!
Sounds like fun!
So with that information and witnessing first hand the way things are moving today…. Mitch stays his butt home and I go hunting and fishing on my weekends and everybody is Happy, Happy, Happy!!!! Hey don’t get me wrong….I love Field Trialing and I love many of the outstanding people…. But….. I aint’ bringing a water pistol to a gun fight.

Also

#1- Me and THE AKC are moving in totally opposite directions….. Morally.

#-2- Me and AKC SPO Field Trials are also moving in two different directions when it comes to Hunting Dogs.

Hey this is America.... I joined the Marine Corps...... during war time to promote peoples Freedom to Choose.

#3- Me personally I am breeding my hounds with a focused, strong emphasis on Co-operation. This is outstanding for me! I desire a co-operating hound that honors all others accomplishments and builds on them.

#4- AKC SPO Field Trials Focus and Emphasis is rooted in Domination. This is outstanding for them! They seek a dominate hound that beats all others.

My goal in breeding the dogs I feed is….Not To Compete…..but to Contribute and Honor other hounds Work with accurate, clean, honest, hound work under full control of their actions. Believe it or not these peanut rolling plugs actually over take, catch and kill several rabbits every year during training sessions and on gun hunts while performing within these parameters….. I have set for them. The goal and expectation of the breeding’s I make is to produce a happy little hunting hound that contributes all they can starting with searching for game and during a chase until the rabbit is in a marked hole in the ground or marked hole up a tree or killed with a gun or the dogs are caught off it.

When I put a pup or grown dog or a pack down for a run I fully expect them to go find a rabbit, not a deer, not a hog, not a **** or a nutria and run that rabbit they jump without any help and hold on to it until I kill that rabbit or they put it up a marked tree or a marked hole in the ground or until I make them stop at whatever speeds necessary for…That Hound….. to accomplish that task. I expect them to account (Hold On). Loosing rabbits is not acceptable behavior and will have you removed from my home an is never taken lightly although sometimes it happens but very rarely.

So different strokes for different folks.

AKC SPO Field Trials are Successful and Extremely productive for beagles and it's outstanding participants.
And
AKC SPO Field Trials produce many a fine hound I like, admire and have great respect for.

So... do the hounds I Run and Hunt with.

It is all good if...………... you want it to be or let it be. Live and let live....go make yourself happy.
Well said

·
Registered
467 Posts
I still would not pick up a hound while the running is going on for “not enough score”. Better to say “pick up #21, pick up #11, and pick up the pack” at the end of that pack’s time down. You never know when that hound with no score might get the next big check.

My biggest concern about the trials held by the clubs running the conservative style of hound is the quick judging. I don’t mean picking up a single hound, which can occasionally be necessary, but it is the judging of a whole pack in 15 minutes and the whole class by noon that concerns me. I know people probably have other things to do on their Saturday afternoons, but a trial is to pick the best hunting hound, so why not spend more time making decisions that could potentially affect the future of the breed? Does endurance play no part now?

I remember going to a UBGF trial in the North Carolina Smokey Mtns in 1985. I had watched an advertised at stud Gay Baker male named Spencer’s Gay Bob run in a trial at Jessamine County in Kentucky, and although he was outfooted, I liked his running style. So I happened to be at this NC trial and thought I would watch him again. I remember Charles Estes was one of the judges. They ran that pack 15 minutes. I was not used to such short times and was shocked, although I had attended (and judged) many Midwest Association trials by then. It was the last trial I ever saw Gay Bob. Nice hound that really didn’t get a good look there, in my opinion.
Good point Huntsman. I would be reluctant to possibly break up a run , to handle a couple dogs that are simply low , and not hurting the chase. Much better to handle that type hound at a breakdown , or holed rabbit. I will often not make handlers aware a hound has been ordered up in this situation , and try to pluck them from the line , if an opportunity presents itself. Have seen to many times , handlers and marshals downing hounds amidst a chase , only to cause such a severe check , that at times the line isn’t recovered . But by the same token , once a hound is being repeatedly beaten , its time to get them off the grounds. But as sure as God made little green apples , have seen those low dogs ordered up , to bang a big check in front of the gallery seconds later. Its often the first piece of good work the hound has capitalized on. But it does go that way at times , and handlers are left scratching their heads.
I really enjoy all aspects of beagling. Something to learn every time out. Great sport. Always remember to be mindful of others. Some bad actions by some , can cause a newer beagler in the midst , to never return.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I agree with you that a hound that you dont plan to use don't need to be picked up until you have scored all other hounds in that pack. And then as correctly said by houndman, handle so and so then pick up the pack. Hounds are supposed to be judged for the entire run, not just the last couple of minutes. Just because a dog does get a couple of licks in the last few minutes and the other dogs have already scored higher than that hound it would not make him eligible for retaining. If you have been beat then it is time to go home. I am through.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Larry, it’s the judges who decide after only 7(?) minutes, not the dogs. When I was judging, I felt every handler/hound deserved a fair look. We continue to hear some packs are being judged in 15 minutes and big classes are finished at some trials by noon. The UBGF is notorious for this. I saw them doing it way back in the 80s. For all their issues, you don’t seem to hear this complaint coming from the Midwest Association trials. A good rabbit hound often needs to unwind a bit before he starts to look good, but judges have to be willing to give that time.
Just for fun I looked at midwest website at trial results and was surprised to see the low number of dogs entered in those trials.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just for fun I looked at midwest website at trial results and was surprised to see the low number of dogs entered in those trials.
Seems it’s that way at most trials now. Notice all the combined classes. Mr Dunn pointed out there are too many trials, and I think interest is down somewhat as well. Even on this Board there appear to be more of us who only gun hunt or pleasure run than those who actively trial. Many reasons, but not having a strong magazine for trial support is probably contributing to this decline.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seems it’s that way at most trials now. Notice all the combined classes. Mr Dunn pointed out there are too many trials, and I think interest is down somewhat as well. Even on this Board there appear to be more of us who only gun hunt or pleasure run than those who actively trial. Many reasons, but not having a strong magazine for trial support is probably contributing to this decline.
Ya lots of things going on in the world these days that could have an effect on it. I was just surprised at the low numbers in classes ! 10 or so dogs per class is not many and somebody is going to win. The top 5 could be sorted out pretty quick IMO on a half day hunt /trial on a few rabbit with that low amount of entries. I hope the interest in trialing picks up again.I do support it !

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mr Dunn~ you just stated the problem whether you know it or not----IT A GAME ~ it is!!!! it has been turned into a game---popularity contest----hero worship ect----THAT IS WHATS CAUSING THE PROBLEMS IN THE FIELD-----problems in the kennels are starting to show up more and more too!! 17 inch dogs for instance that were given wink and nod-----barkaholics that babble like %%%%-----race horses and the list goes on.. BE CAREFULL when breeding to FC's there are some that should have been culled at birth and being promoted on word of mouth--social media and advertisements------THE FIELD CHAMPION DEGREE HAS LOST ITS GLAMOR AND STATUS ----stolen by ego's wanting braggin rights

the purpose of field trials have been long gone and its a shame-----the purpose was to compete and promote the best hound so the beagles could be improved

i often wonder if the crooked legs in some lines was caused by carrying too much weight----like some mans/womans ego the weight of an ego is a heavy burden for a little hound
. A long with politics are in Involved just like most things in this country..As of some post on here there is a lot of issues involved and variations they do go on trails weather most just don’t wanna amid itOr just blind to it.. there is honesty at my house and there is a blank of a lot of different things they get overlooked where are mostDo not want to amid it...It is very true Point blank....,,,

·
Registered
783 Posts
In field trials we have to deal with the times. All of the old hounds in days gone by are GONE. So the judges have to deal with what they see. The Wind Creek Limbos are dead, so are the Canoe Creek Burts, Del Ray Stubbys, and other HOF dogs of the past. Read Mack C's post. He is telling it the way it is. You can critisize todays field trial hounds all you want but you can't bring back yesterday's. You have to judge and place what is entered. I think my point is pretty simple to understand, if you don't like the sport then don't play the game. If you pay to see a pro basketball game, get there and don't like the refs, how many of you leave before the game ever starts. In my field trialing experience that goes back over fifty years, I have owned and finished five FC's. The first was Bell's Lights Out Pat, a line controller bitch. She finished in the midwest handled by Russell Dowell. The second was L&C's Bred Rite Boss Lady, handled by John Phillips. She won four trials in different parts of the country. The last was Fern Hollow Squirt, a little female about 11.5" tall and a little powerhouse. She finished in a gundog brace trial, a national event, with 80 small females. These dogs were all three very different in style and judged by men from all over the United States. Yet they prevailed because they had what it takes in those trials. You can pick the judges all you want but they don't run the race, dogs do.
. True to most points but there is politics involved along with many other issues that do get overlooked Or Blan to them.. There is issues Involved judge seminar will help but does not solve the problem.. I have seen it and have heard it from some of the best trailers that are judges along handling have been in it all their life ..along with finishing more FCs and are in the Hall of Fame as a as producing and finishing some of the best and most hounds winning..Take it as you will if you can compete in every trail for years and years with the same people and most judges..They are professionals they know their business they have some of the greatest hounds out there..I put your time in life intuit for generations.. strangers and newcomers pop in once in a while at various places. Along with lotta great people and hounds everywhere steel issues involve..Good luck Go to a judge and handler seminar learn all you can.. go to every trail you get a chance see judge stay on top of the hounds the whole time or some linger around his handlers walking with in contests. Along with who is running and judging and involved in it and knowing most of the top competitors and their hounds they go to 90% of the same trails all over your after year after year.. jmo The majority of the clubs know before the trial starts who’s there the reputation and the hounds they’re running... that has nothing to do with anything at all..There a stranger and a newcomer just as you are... Lotta time $$$ money hard work knowing the rules extremely great hounds. Having fun.., Every squirrel can you get lucky and find a nut once in a while.. Go get um

·
Registered
783 Posts
since 1970 i went thru *** nite hunts squirrel hunts competition----its brutal!!! I have seen fights break out that were amazing.. I learned long ago there will only be one winner at trial/nit hunt.. i enjoyed seeing good dog work regardless of who owned the dogs----i have left smiling and i have left wishing homocide was an option. I quit all but PKC-----
I went to a few field trials to test my beagles against the dog competeing in trials. I got hooked when i met a 6yo kid and his cousin---I decieded to trial and support the kids------i have enjoyed the kids in spite of a couple of raw deals-------ONE JUDGE in particular picked payday up----came out in parking area and loudly said he was banging heads for the front and when he got it he was too insecure to run it-------just to impress a couple of people there---i shook his hand--smiled and told him--THANK YOU for looking at my dog and giving your 20.00 opinion----personally i feel like i got screwed outta 19.95= The look on his face was priceless and i turned and walked away leaving him spewing words-----some times thats the only thing you can do
Politics like everything else in this country you can go to Judge seminars in the handler may help you understand a lot .Where is a lot of issues involved I have spoke with some of the best in the business.. The majority of the top or known her to trails before they start their reputation hounds and involvement in the trails as judging along with top producing our seas and breeders.. which have great hounds..Have been in it for generations have put in the time and hard work and have the money and donate and help run a lot of the work involved or well-known and go to the same clubs .Years after year after year..Lotta great people great hounds have fun.. everyone’s like a stranger or new member at every trail every squirrel can find a strainer once in a while politics money. Having great hands knowing the right people the right places to go along the way helping everyone out with clubs and judges. Everything is fair and equal no matter who you are what you doing and your reputation you’re a professional breeder in the Hall of Fame but most FC producers..Just need the best hound...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have never trialed but was planning on starting soon. After retirement so I have the time. Wasn't really planning on being super serious but just going to meet people and have fun. Even with reading through this post I'm still going to give it a try and just have fun. No plans for getting too serious
@Jimlerminez, if your intent is to go and meet great people and have fun, I think you should 100% get in to trials. I love trials, I have so much fun at them, I have met some awesome people at them, and I never win, haha. Don't get me wrong, it is much more fun to show up with hounds that are competitive, but even just being at them is a great time!

Here was how my weekend went at the trial:

I went to Grand Lake Beagle Club this weekend to run in the Stoney Creek Gundog Brace trial. I took two bitches, one big and one little. I showed up about 7:30, got my hounds entered, and got a plate of Biscuits and Gravy with sausage and eggs. (I will never miss another trial at Grand Lake, because I eat so good there, it rivals cracker barrel. Every single time!) I grabbed my plate and went over and set down with some old timers that I only see at trials. They are from all over the midwestern states, and some from farther down like TN. We sat there for a half hour or so, talked about our best hounds, talked about our up-and-comers, talked about funny things that their grandkids did, told jokes, maybe ribbed on each other a little bit, and enjoyed our breakfast. Then we drew out for braces. My little bitch drew out in the first trio in her class. My big bitch drew out in the 4th in hers. (I posted a video called "Judge this Pack..." last week. The yellow collared black dog, Five Solas Mustang Sally, that everybody either liked or hated was the little one I am talking about. The 11 month old lemon dog, Lou, was the big one.)

Mustang Sally is a wild-card. She has the desire and fire, but when I got her she was super-shy. Sometimes she slips back into that shyness. Sometimes she looks like a field champion, and sometimes she freaks out around all the people. I couldn't wait to see which Mustang Sally showed up... Was she going to be Pinto Sally or Shelby GT350 Sally?

Well, we cast the first little trio. She stood there and looked at me... Crap, it was Pinto Sally. A rabbit flushes. The other two hounds go. Sally eventually does. The rabbit makes 6 turns in the first 100 yards. Sally gets hung out to dry 6 times straight. My buddy Jeff was judging. "Pick up white!" I started cracking up. I looked at him and said, "Yep. Easiest decision you will make all day." I was happy he let her try 6 times, it just wasn't her day. I better get up front and get my big yellow derby bitch ready.

I put Sally up, collar Lou, and head to the pen. They were only on the second trio, so I had two to go. I walked out with this fella that I had met before at these trials, but I couldn't remember his name. We had a very nice chat while we walked out. We talked about my derby, what she was great at and what she was missing. He told me a story about a hound he had that was in the same situation. He told me what he did to help it along, and what he wishes he would have done. We moseyed on back to where the group was and sat down on a bench. I couldn't hardly keep this dog on the leash. She heard hounds running a rabbit, she saw brush piles, she could smell the fresh morning air... We were here to run and she didn't want to wait any longer. I could tell I'm not going to have the same problem I had with Sally!

I saw my buddy Wayne who sold me this lemon hound as a puppy...

"Mr Smith, where did you get that ugly thing?"
I replied, "Tipton County Humane Society!"
"What kind of dog is that?" Wayne asks.
"Some kind of beagle-mix I think. Maybe part pit, most of them up there are!"
"Well I hope you didn't pay too much for it!"
"I only paid the $40 donation," I said. "But I had to promise to get her spayed."
"Sounds like you paid too much to me!"

We are both cracking up at this point. We sat down on a bench with a group of other guys. Teased each other about how cheap we all are. How bad their memories are getting. How much I am paying the judges under the table to give me an NBQ. Then the conversation got a little more serious, as I picked Wayne's brain about what he is breeding to, and what he is getting out of some of the studs I was considering. Does he think his kennel is getting too slow or too loose? Where is he going next with it?

My lemon bitch was cast with one of my good buddy Jerry's hounds and another guy I hadn't met before. Jerry was over in the little class so a buddy of ours was handling her. Jerry has been saying to me, "I really want you to see this hound." He mostly runs little but this girl was big. I was wondering if he wanted me to see her as in, "I think you might want to buy her. "

We cast the dogs. Something was wrong with Jerry's dog... She wouldn't go. She seemed really timid too. I think she was experiencing what my little bitch did in the other class. We couldn't get her to go. I picked her up and took her up with the other two, but she wouldn't go. The judges finally said "if she doesn't go this time, handle her." She wouldn't go. Darn, I was really wanting to see her. She must have been sick or something.

Now the other two hounds.... they were on fire! Man you should have seen this lemon dog of mine! She was much younger than the hound she was running against, and this was only her second all-age trial. She was getting beat. I could just tell. But she sure enough looked like she belonged there! She looked like she wanted to win, and like she had the natural ability to win! She got a few licks in of her own! I was so proud when she picked up a few of those checks. She did something I know the judges saw though. Every once in a while, she would stop and pick her head up and look over at her brace mate to see if she was getting it. I know I had more nose than that other dog, but I just need this dog to get her confidence up. She needs soloed. A little more experience, and she will be putting on a show here. They let this brace run for about 15 minutes, just to make sure. They handle them and score my bracemate. I went back to the truck all smiles because I know that by the Stoney Creek Gundog Brace trial next year, Lou will be a force to reckon with! I headed back to the truck to put my dogs up. Went in and got lunch... brats and burgers! I sat around and talked to some of my buddies from out of state for a while. I talked to Jerry about his hound. He said he was surprised and that she must not be feeling too well. He thought he did well in the little class though.

The little class was heading back out for winner series. I decided I was going to stick around to see how it went. Jerry came back 2nd in the little class! I went out with him. The top two dogs were cast. He was sure hoping she could flip it. We watched the high hounds run for about 15 minutes. It was neck and neck! I thought his hound looked like she really flipped it. So did the marshal we were standing next to. The two hounds on the ground were a little different. Jerry's hound was tighter and left nothing out. The other hound stretched out a little farther and was a little tighter with her mouth. Do the judges think Jerry's hound is mouthy in the check, or do they think the other dog is letting her do all the work and cutting her off? A man could honestly see it either way. Did they think they saw enough to flip it? I don't know. I thought I did, but I know I am biased. I was really pulling for her.

They hit a final check. It is a good time to catch them. "Okay handle them, guys!" I am about 40 years younger than the two handlers, so I always try to catch hounds for people. Well right as I move in on them, Jerry's hound picks it up and these two take off across the field on the hot trail like the Kentucky Derby that was going on on the other channel! They ran this trail the length of the back field, then it takes a hard turn... Neither hound oversteps it, they just grab it and sprint back in to the brush. My FitBit starts buzzing because I hit 10,000 steps for the day. I think a few thousand of them were running these two down. (It's a good thin g too, because I need to walk those biscuits and gravy off!) They finally hit a check and I was able to grab both of them. The handlers got to me before I could get them in my truck and get back to Tipton County unnoticed....

What a brace! I thought to myself, "man, the rabbits I could kill over these two! The judges did great, these are definitely the two best hounds out here!" Unfortunately, they didn't flip. Jerry was very happy to have gotten a 2nd! And to know she was that close, she will get them next time. What a hound!

I tell you what, I am going to go back and solo the heck out of this lemon dog. The next time they see me, they better watch out. This lemon dog is going to be a force to reckon with! She has so much raw talent, I just have to get it out of her! I owe her that much!

This little black dog needs the same treatment. She may be up for sale before too long if she can't snap out of fraidy-cat mode at the trials. Maybe I need to head out to Jerry's and run these two with his big bitch. Maybe they all three need to be around more strange dogs. Maybe his girl just had a belly-ache that day and I would really like her otherwise. One way to find out...

I want to thank Grand Lake for putting on an awesome trial! @BigK is the man, and always runs a great show. He works hard at it and it shows! He is making our sport better.

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
Great post 5 Solus. I've made a ton of friends at Field trials and seen some great dogs too. I might have some helpful advice on your little black female. She probably doesn't need the pro plan 30-20, feed her something less. Run her solo one day, then brace her with a good cut dog next. Then run the edge off her the day before the trial in a brace or trio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sir you said there’s a simple solution to all this. Stay home& that is exactly what a lot of good hounds man have done. But I can recall articles written years ago admonishing the original brace men to stop what they were doing in slowing the dogs down to do nothing worthless as a hunting dog types guys like w p land, Lew madden, Ike Carol many others. Turns out they were prophetic , look what happened. What we have today in s p o was a direct result of there attitude. Other organizations have emerged to as a result & some maybe a result of some of the things going on in trials today. True hounds man walking away in disgust or maybe trying something else. Lot what been said isn’t sour grapes it’s concern. The bottom line is a beagle should find game & account for it. & do it in a energetic manner. Get the most done to accomplish this with the least amount of wasted motion. There’s a field trial at least 3 to 4 times a week for 5 to 8 hours at a time at my house generally almost year round. They are constantly being evacuated for what’s said above. None are perfect but if they can’t at least do that they won’t get called back next week. The a k c nationals was held not long ago. I talked to a guy who had a buddy go. Drove 7 hours to the trial & they say he’s got a nice dog? His report was 2 different judges from 2 different federations judged . One didn’t even try keep up to judge even though he was on horseback. The other chased the pack on foot. He said that his dog got picked up in 7 minutes? I don’t know I wasn’t there. If that’s what’s happening & I’m not saying it did. Trailers need take heed & make a real effort to get things fixed. I sure wouldn’t cull one in 7 minutes I’d have different dogs every couple weeks. Judges are human & do make mistakes just like beagles running a rabbit. Most know that & understand. But some the stuff goes on is no mistake I’m sure. Judges are admonished to approach there task with future of the breed is in their hands& make calculated decisions toward keeping the beagle useful as a hunting & trial dogs. I hope we all do

41 - 60 of 78 Posts