Rabbit Dogs banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Everyone at the trial drove there with their best hounds. Everyone at the trial is trying to get a fair shake. Everyone at the trial is trying to breed up a good hound.
I always laughed at the genius who would say, "Yeah but I brought my best hounds!" No kidding? We all did dummy!!
That's funny! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I wasn’t gonna give my opinion on this but my pride got the best of my. This is my opinion and it’s probably not worth much. Judging field trials (which I absolutely love) may be the worst thing I’ve ever done. I’ve been cursed out, called a cheater, had multiple phones calls about how I picked up a dog or left a dog down for zero money. I think it’s way too many kennel blind handlers and n the sport. I also, think that at least half the dogs I’ve judged you could not kill a rabbit with. I hear it’s a judges interpretation of the rule book. It’s not that much to interpret in the rule book. I think it’s too much of a buddy system.
Now if a dog is running over the end of a line and all the dogs go with him, which dog you gonna pick up?
I’ve seen dogs place with zero score. That dog is useless!!!! I’ll take a dog that’s rough as a cob and has some want than one following around on the back.
Too many overgrown children that like to brag on what they have spent and will breed just to sale pups.
Rant over

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Somehow we all find a way to justify why our dog wasn't judged right. I believe that field trials are here to stay. Most of us like to compete but all can't win or place. That is the way the game is played and it is a game. The simple solution is this - if you don't like it stay home with your hounds and do with them what you really enjoy. Baseball and softball you hear the same thing, that was a ball, not a strike, he or she was safe at first base, not out. My kid was fouled and should be at the free throw line. I am guessing that a high percentage of those complaints come from individuals who have never been through the judges class and only attended a few trials.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What different folks think about beagles is just never ending. Some like this and some like that and it seems most guys only like what THEY have ! What one guy will tolerate because that's the type of dog he runs dosen't mean everybody else does. Thankfully I wasn't bitten severely by the trial bug and have stayed away for years . I just pleasure run now and dont take dogs nearly as serious as I did when I was younger. I've come to realize that I dont have enough time left on earth to change the breed or make some kind of huge contribution and winning or placing at a trial realy doesn't mean that much to me. We are all just passing through.
Fact is I'm the last houndsman in my family so when it's over everything I've ever done with hounds comes to an immediate end. So I could care less if someone's dog cuts mine from behind or grabs a check first or whatever. I keep a decent dog and game production is a must But I'm just having fun these days and I can find humor in more things these days .Heck if my dog got beat real bad I could make fun and pick on him for awhile! Have fun ! Most judges work there butt of to do that job and should be treated with respect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wasn’t gonna give my opinion on this but my pride got the best of my. This is my opinion and it’s probably not worth much. Judging field trials (which I absolutely love) may be the worst thing I’ve ever done. I’ve been cursed out, called a cheater, had multiple phones calls about how I picked up a dog or left a dog down for zero money. I think it’s way too many kennel blind handlers and n the sport. I also, think that at least half the dogs I’ve judged you could not kill a rabbit with. I hear it’s a judges interpretation of the rule book. It’s not that much to interpret in the rule book. I think it’s too much of a buddy system.
Now if a dog is running over the end of a line and all the dogs go with him, which dog you gonna pick up?
I’ve seen dogs place with zero score. That dog is useless!!!! I’ll take a dog that’s rough as a cob and has some want than one following around on the back.
Too many overgrown children that like to brag on what they have spent and will breed just to sale pups.
Rant over
Thank you sir, may I have another!! Lol There are about 4 sentences you could have highlighted, underlined and put in bold text.
Very well said Jimmy.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,856 Posts
Somehow we all find a way to justify why our dog wasn't judged right. I believe that field trials are here to stay. Most of us like to compete but all can't win or place. That is the way the game is played and it is a game. The simple solution is this - if you don't like it stay home with your hounds and do with them what you really enjoy. Baseball and softball you hear the same thing, that was a ball, not a strike, he or she was safe at first base, not out. My kid was fouled and should be at the free throw line. I am guessing that a high percentage of those complaints come from individuals who have never been through the judges class and only attended a few trials.
Mr Dunn~ you just stated the problem whether you know it or not----IT A GAME ~ it is!!!! it has been turned into a game---popularity contest----hero worship ect----THAT IS WHATS CAUSING THE PROBLEMS IN THE FIELD-----problems in the kennels are starting to show up more and more too!! 17 inch dogs for instance that were given wink and nod-----barkaholics that babble like %%%%-----race horses and the list goes on.. BE CAREFULL when breeding to FC's there are some that should have been culled at birth and being promoted on word of mouth--social media and advertisements------THE FIELD CHAMPION DEGREE HAS LOST ITS GLAMOR AND STATUS ----stolen by ego's wanting braggin rights

the purpose of field trials have been long gone and its a shame-----the purpose was to compete and promote the best hound so the beagles could be improved

i often wonder if the crooked legs in some lines was caused by carrying too much weight----like some mans/womans ego the weight of an ego is a heavy burden for a little hound

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,856 Posts
WITHOUT JUDGES (good or bad) THERE WOULD BE NO FIELD TRIALS!!!!!
VERY TRUE~~ but without honest trialers there to compete on a fair basis-----judges got their work cut out for them

just like walking horses and cock fighting---when the good are runned off---only the cheats show up----wont be long before fighting---stabbings---shootings start and the end of trialing as we know it----it will fold up like a cheep suit

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
What do the judges look for when judging field trials?
What do you think they should be looking for?
Should the judges follow the pack?
Has anyone been picked up for running to much rabbit?

I had a conversation today with a beagle owner about trials and judging, it was pretty interesting what he though and what I thought.
would like to hear from everyone.
Personally, I try very hard to use the AKC Standard and apply it to the dogs on the ground that day. I also think that the AKC std is very well written by very knowledgable houndsmen. I owned and ran dogs for 34 years before taking up field trialing. But when I started judging it took practice to be able to filter all the information that was happening simultaneously. It's not an easy task to think about every AKC desirable and un-desirable trait while running thru the brush. IT TAKES PRACTICE and some amount of brain power. However, After awhile, the game slows down for you, just like in sports. You also have to be careful not to focus on only a few of the traits listed in the std. You know, the ones you feel are more important than others in your opinion. That's human nature I guess but you need to gaurd against it. Here's what I try very hard to do. I make a mental note of every desirable and un-desirable trait for each dog during the run and how it affects the run. I record + & - on my judges book for each dog. If they don't have any marks that means I didn't feel they contributed anything to the run. 3 minuses in a run usually means your going home. No marks at all means you are going home also. And when I get it right we usually have a good winners pack with good runs with few or no lost rabbits. One last thing I always do before naming the winner is I ask myself and many times I also ask the other judge: "Which dog do we want to take hunting solo tomorrow to feed our family". We always need to remember the purpose for which these little dogs were bred. Note: I make mistakes but I will usually admit it later when I do. This is just my humble opinion. Learning is a process, not a destination.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sir you said there’s a simple solution to all this. Stay home& that is exactly what a lot of good hounds man have done. But I can recall articles written years ago admonishing the original brace men to stop what they were doing in slowing the dogs down to do nothing worthless as a hunting dog types guys like w p land, Lew madden, Ike Carol many others. Turns out they were prophetic , look what happened. What we have today in s p o was a direct result of there attitude. Other organizations have emerged to as a result & some maybe a result of some of the things going on in trials today. True hounds man walking away in disgust or maybe trying something else. Lot what been said isn’t sour grapes it’s concern. The bottom line is a beagle should find game & account for it. & do it in a energetic manner. Get the most done to accomplish this with the least amount of wasted motion. There’s a field trial at least 3 to 4 times a week for 5 to 8 hours at a time at my house generally almost year round. They are constantly being evacuated for what’s said above. None are perfect but if they can’t at least do that they won’t get called back next week. The a k c nationals was held not long ago. I talked to a guy who had a buddy go. Drove 7 hours to the trial & they say he’s got a nice dog? His report was 2 different judges from 2 different federations judged . One didn’t even try keep up to judge even though he was on horseback. The other chased the pack on foot. He said that his dog got picked up in 7 minutes? I don’t know I wasn’t there. If that’s what’s happening & I’m not saying it did. Trailers need take heed & make a real effort to get things fixed. I sure wouldn’t cull one in 7 minutes I’d have different dogs every couple weeks. Judges are human & do make mistakes just like beagles running a rabbit. Most know that & understand. But some the stuff goes on is no mistake I’m sure. Judges are admonished to approach there task with future of the breed is in their hands& make calculated decisions toward keeping the beagle useful as a hunting & trial dogs. I hope we all do

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
In field trials we have to deal with the times. All of the old hounds in days gone by are GONE. So the judges have to deal with what they see. The Wind Creek Limbos are dead, so are the Canoe Creek Burts, Del Ray Stubbys, and other HOF dogs of the past. Read Mack C's post. He is telling it the way it is. You can critisize todays field trial hounds all you want but you can't bring back yesterday's. You have to judge and place what is entered. I think my point is pretty simple to understand, if you don't like the sport then don't play the game. If you pay to see a pro basketball game, get there and don't like the refs, how many of you leave before the game ever starts. In my field trialing experience that goes back over fifty years, I have owned and finished five FC's. The first was Bell's Lights Out Pat, a line controller bitch. She finished in the midwest handled by Russell Dowell. The second was L&C's Bred Rite Boss Lady, handled by John Phillips. She won four trials in different parts of the country. The last was Fern Hollow Squirt, a little female about 11.5" tall and a little powerhouse. She finished in a gundog brace trial, a national event, with 80 small females. These dogs were all three very different in style and judged by men from all over the United States. Yet they prevailed because they had what it takes in those trials. You can pick the judges all you want but they don't run the race, dogs do.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Larry, it’s the judges who decide after only 7(?) minutes, not the dogs. When I was judging, I felt every handler/hound deserved a fair look. We continue to hear some packs are being judged in 15 minutes and big classes are finished at some trials by noon. The UBGF is notorious for this. I saw them doing it way back in the 80s. For all their issues, you don’t seem to hear this complaint coming from the Midwest Association trials. A good rabbit hound often needs to unwind a bit before he starts to look good, but judges have to be willing to give that time.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Its easy to rip judges if you aint ever done it.It is a lot of work and you aint ever gonna please everybody.Just the way it is.For the most part i believe most judges are honest.Fact is is that most guys do not watch their hounds They only see them when they cross the road or the path that the rest of the gallery is on and in that second they figure out more than the judges that have been following them all over.As far as how long it takes to get up a hound I hate to see one got up quickly However I aint gonna keep running a hound that is keeping me from having a race.Keeping that hound down is not fair to the rest of that pack.If you got one that needs to settle that much you either need to run them down some before you go or you are just quite simply inn the wrong format JMO

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,856 Posts
Mr Dunn~ I had a judge pick up my dog 4 minutes after casting---he had jumped a rabbit and was running it----REASON~~LOW SCORE--- two packs later
A junior handler was running 2 payday pups and someone in the gallery hollered at his friend and told him those are payday pups----the judge looked at the dogs pointed out and picked them up---they were first and second on the line and had been on the ground a little over 5 minutes-----LOW SCORE
This judge at the end of the day put dogs connected to his kennel on the bench first thru NBQ
he and his father had been trying to buy payday and having his friends try----they also called a junior handlers dad and asked him not to handle the dog---also talked to 2 judges to not place the dog
This was not a small event-it was ubgf all age run-off

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE FAIRNESS TO YOU?? There are a few like him floating around---
A trialer interested in bettering his dogs should not have to cherry pick judges----they should be able to go to any trial they want feeling confident they will be judged fairly.

Hats of to you for the 5 FC dogs----i started 2 seasons ago and i have 1 finished---1 with 2 wins and his points----one with a bunch of points that i havent seriously conditioned--HOWEVER~ i am not a pilgrim to dog trialing--i had a WC Redbone ******* and a WC squirrel dog.. I make it a point to know a dogs condition and ability before going to a trial. IF he is beat by another dog---i congratulate the owner and dog----and i have been beat more than win----BUT if i get beat by the pencil---i will call it like it is----it is shameful to cheat someone and disgusting to the person cheated

as for staying home???? it is already happening with a lot of people---this past week-end at a trial there was 14 dogs in the class----a professional handler had 12 on his truck

21 - 40 of 78 Posts