Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do the judges look for when judging field trials?
What do you think they should be looking for?
Should the judges follow the pack?
Has anyone been picked up for running to much rabbit?

I had a conversation today with a beagle owner about trials and judging, it was pretty interesting what he though and what I thought.
would like to hear from everyone.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The AKC does require attendance at a judges class prior to judging an AKC trial. At least I think they still do. I attended the class 40 years ago. Our instructor was Wayne Price, if anyone remembers him!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone who trials need to attend a judging seminar, and know the rule book from front to back. A lot of judges follow the dogs, they need to cut them off and watch as the dogs cross a path or the area the rabbit ran. They also need to be able to get to the checks and watch what dog is doing what.

I have seen dogs get picked up because they are running too much rabbit, WHATTTTT, nothing in rule book about that.

We need the younger guys to take the class even if they do not trial, the class is a great experience for learning. JMO

branch hollow- I agree with judges having their own interpretation can be a major fault when judging. If you have a judge that likes your type of hound you need to run where that judge or another judge who likes your dog.

·
Registered
468 Posts
( Assuming we are discussing AKC formats. ) Pretty simple. Looking for the best performing hound present that day. Based on 12 desirable qualities and 14 faulty actions , defined by AKC Beagle Field Trial rule book...... Some days it ends up being an outstanding hound performance , and other days the quality isn’t present , and a flat avg performance leaves with the Blue. Every day is different. We can never assume that if another assortment of hounds were present , running would be better. Have to judge whats on the ground that day , under what ever conditions exist...........

I also strongly favor all beaglers attending a judges / Handlers seminar. Often enough , beaglers get wound up at a trial , and its due to lack of knowledge in rules and procedures.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,864 Posts
What do the judges look for when judging field trials?
What do you think they should be looking for?
Should the judges follow the pack?
Has anyone been picked up for running to much rabbit?

I had a conversation today with a trailer about trials and judging, it was pretty interesting what he though and what I thought.
would like to hear from everyone.
A dog that is controlling the race and staying on the rabbit and runs it by the rule book
the dog that most closely represents the rule book
the judges should be in eye contac with pack as much as possable
when a judge uses that for an excuse it means he is too CS to tell you he dont like your dog---or you---or the real reason

Judges dont get paid or very little pay for the work they do-----MOST are honest and try hard to get the best dog----those are the ones causing you to enjoy the day even if you dont place
SOME~ A FEW just dont feel rite if they dont cheat a little.. THEY KNOW A DOG and what it is supposed to do but will overlook it to score one for the team---BUDDY JUDGING===those are the ones that make you disgusted----angry and think about quitting

after a couple of shennanigans i saw first hand----i sent a letter of recomendation to AKC that judges should be given a body cam to record each pack judged-----at the end of the day if a complaint is voiced---you have a committee look at the pack in question. if shady calls were made ask the judges why it was called the way it was----THAT WILL STOP SOME OF THE CRAP A FEW ARE DOING!

field trialing is expensive---all the work keeping the dog in the best shape possable is expensive---then travel and lodging---and the same amount of entry fee money as everyone else----no matter who you are-----you deserve a fair shake----i dont care if you dont like me-----DONT SHORTCHANGE MY DOG~

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
I will say this sad statement. I have done a lot of things in my life, I have seen the horror of death and joy of life. Sadly the worse behavior, the poorest examples of men I have ever witnessed I saw at Beagle field trials!! I have seen grown men cry, throw feed pans, stomp kick cuss because their little hound didn't win. Blatant cheating and then brag about it. I have seen it all. I have made mental notes as to who these folks are, I would never deal with such children in mens bodies. Shameful behavior!
Good thing they are the minority, lots of good folks out there as well. Most all my friends now I met through trials and hounds.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The rulebook is the same for all formats and I think most guys who judge own or have read that rulebook. With that being said its all in the judges interpretation of those rules. Brace dog judges probably have a different interpretation of ghost trailing, babbling, or running with the intent to overtake than a large pack judge. My point is yes there is only one rulebook but the judges interpretation of that rulebook will determine the outcome of that particular trial. Every judge will tell you they are judging from the rulebook but the fact is its their own interpretation of those rules that determines the outcome. Always has and always will be that way. If AKC cared about the type of dogs they where giving a title to they would hire their own judges and train them to interpret the rules in the way they wanted. We all know they don't care about that though and just want to make money. Thats why there is so many different styles and formats in the trialing world.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My hat gos off to the judges For the most part I believe there honest Sure as mr will mentioned there’s some with Alternative reasons for judging These guys are usually found out all we can do is just not run under them They will soon vanish
For those that haven’t ever judged it may seem simple and ez. In reality it can be quite gruesome following a pack of hounds from day brake to late evening and a lot of that is at a fast pace busting Thur Briars cover over your head up and down hills crossing creeks and ect. All at the same time watchIng
and evaluating hounds you’ve never seen before. Yes mistakes will be made under these conditions
Trials were set up for Purpose to evaluate are hound for the better of the breed. Somewhere along the line this went by the wayside you know when man met up with money fame and recognition the better of the breed took a back seat
Trialing is a two way street We seem to over look the dishonest handlers. And sometimes even compliment them for it. How meany of you have heard about handlers that would run there dog all night before a trial to run th competitiveness out of them before the trial. How meany have seen dogs that were doped up before putting them down how meany handlers enter knowing trash runners and just hope they don’t get caught how meany dogs are entered knowing they lack hunt How meany handlers enter dogs knowing they have major faults such as back tracking giving up on a tuff rabbit and hope it doesn’t show up. How meany times have you heard the guy in the gallery telling the judges how meany places his dog has and he is so and so bread and trying to get a little advantage. None of this non sense is for the better of the breed and to me this is just as dishonest as the buddy judging
Just think if we could get back to the Core reason of trialing how much better are dogs could be. And being crowned fc would actually mean something

·
Registered
92 Posts
My hat gos off to the judges For the most part I believe there honest Sure as mr will mentioned there’s some with Alternative reasons for judging These guys are usually found out all we can do is just not run under them They will soon vanish
For those that haven’t ever judged it may seem simple and ez. In reality it can be quite gruesome following a pack of hounds from day brake to late evening and a lot of that is at a fast pace busting Thur Briars cover over your head up and down hills crossing creeks and ect. All at the same time watchIng
and evaluating hounds you’ve never seen before. Yes mistakes will be made under these conditions
Trials were set up for Purpose to evaluate are hound for the better of the breed. Somewhere along the line this went by the wayside you know when man met up with money fame and recognition the better of the breed took a back seat
Trialing is a two way street We seem to over look the dishonest handlers. And sometimes even compliment them for it. How meany of you have heard about handlers that would run there dog all night before a trial to run th competitiveness out of them before the trial. How meany have seen dogs that were doped up before putting them down how meany handlers enter knowing trash runners and just hope they don’t get caught how meany dogs are entered knowing they lack hunt How meany handlers enter dogs knowing they have major faults such as back tracking giving up on a tuff rabbit and hope it doesn’t show up. How meany times have you heard the guy in the gallery telling the judges how meany places his dog has and he is so and so bread and trying to get a little advantage. None of this non sense is for the better of the breed and to me this is just as dishonest as the buddy judging
Just think if we could get back to the Core reason of trialing how much better are dogs could be. And being crowned fc would actually mean something
All this is why some us quit trialing long ago

·
Registered
92 Posts
Trials can be a great fun as long you don’t take things to seriously. You’ll meet way more good folks than bad. Bad ones we tend to remember. lol im pretty digitally challenged reason for misspellings lol. I know several here trial & that’s great but what attracted me this format was it’s not affiliated with any particular trial format. & seems be made up of guys who just want share there experiences. I think that’s great. The last paragraph says it all.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
it got to you branch. just like it does most folks. i dont think most people at trials get mad because they didnt win. it’s the fact that they have put in alot of time and effort in their dog they brought to the trial. the kennel that they are trying to breed up and better the breed. let alone the money they have invested. all of that to drive 300 miles to a trial and not get a fair shake. they cheat you to award a win to someone that bought so and so’s blooodline and hired someone to trial their dog for them. a dog that is faulty from the beginning. and the owners gloat on how good a dog they got . now who on here wouldnt feel jaded having that done to them? im a sportsman. always have been. i prefer to win. but i can take a loss and be a sport about it. problem with it i see is their the ones not being a sport about it. I have come to the conclusion in life that some people in this world feel the need to. or have to cheat in life. because they have never been really any good at it. they have always been a looser instead of a winner. so they cheat and steal do what ever they feel they got to do to get a recognition.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate your comments on and about trialing, the last 5 posts say it all. It is amazing how judges justify some of their choices. Is it based on interpretation or rule book? The ongoing question.

The comments provided will help the new members when trialing, hopefully making sure they read the rule book and take a judging seminar. JMO

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
Everyone at the trial drove there with their best hounds. Everyone at the trial is trying to get a fair shake. Everyone at the trial is trying to breed up a good hound.
I always laughed at the genius who would say, "Yeah but I brought my best hounds!" No kidding? We all did dummy!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
it got to you branch. just like it does most folks. i dont think most people at trials get mad because they didnt win. it’s the fact that they have put in alot of time and effort in their dog they brought to the trial. the kennel that they are trying to breed up and better the breed. let alone the money they have invested. all of that to drive 300 miles to a trial and not get a fair shake. they cheat you to award a win to someone that bought so and so’s blooodline and hired someone to trial their dog for them. a dog that is faulty from the beginning. and the owners gloat on how good a dog they got . now who on here wouldnt feel jaded having that done to them? im a sportsman. always have been. i prefer to win. but i can take a loss and be a sport about it. problem with it i see is their the ones not being a sport about it. I have come to the conclusion in life that some people in this world feel the need to. or have to cheat in life. because they have never been really any good at it. they have always been a looser instead of a winner. so they cheat and steal do what ever they feel they got to do to get a recognition.
Yes sir I’ve been on both ends of it. When I was younger I judged some. I’ve had guys get mad cause they felt the dog should win. I had so called friends get mad because they thought I would favor there dog, & I wouldn’t. I’ve saw the dishonesty. T the pushing of cream certain lines or a particular dog off spring. & I don’t have much of a filter back then lol. I even had a guy get mad at me after I put a win on his dog. Cause he asked me what I thought of it & I told him the truth. I just told him what I saw & he did have the best dog on the ground. I also trialed & win some & got it put to me through dishonesty. If I thought another man’s dog won I’d shake his hand.. I wanted to see the best dog win. You right I got disgusted with some of what I saw. I think people got disgusted with my disgust so I walked away. Lot times at a trail I found my self thinking I could be home running young dogs & seeing better running & enjoy more. Even still I admit I miss seeing different dogs & some the great people I’d probably never got to meet.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,864 Posts
since 1970 i went thru ******* nite hunts squirrel hunts competition----its brutal!!! I have seen fights break out that were amazing.. I learned long ago there will only be one winner at trial/nit hunt.. i enjoyed seeing good dog work regardless of who owned the dogs----i have left smiling and i have left wishing homocide was an option. I quit all but PKC-----
I went to a few field trials to test my beagles against the dog competeing in trials. I got hooked when i met a 6yo kid and his cousin---I decieded to trial and support the kids------i have enjoyed the kids in spite of a couple of raw deals-------ONE JUDGE in particular picked payday up----came out in parking area and loudly said he was banging heads for the front and when he got it he was too insecure to run it-------just to impress a couple of people there---i shook his hand--smiled and told him--THANK YOU for looking at my dog and giving your 20.00 opinion----personally i feel like i got screwed outta 19.95= The look on his face was priceless and i turned and walked away leaving him spewing words-----some times thats the only thing you can do

1 - 20 of 92 Posts