Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the Gundog Club in Holdon MO. is done. They had a meeting and decided to close for good. So we are down to Eastern Kansas, Missouri 4 state Beaglers, and Mid-Ark in this area. The rest are back east and one in LA. Man that sucks, two clubs in two years have closed in MO. We really need to support each other or we will all be done with ARHA GD trials.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Brian I shure hate to hear that. I thought that with the good turnout they had been having they would try to keep it going. I hope Don is still doing ok.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ozzy, hows summer treating ya? Dons doing ok as far as I know, I know he was wanting to close it for a while, but I sure hated to see it close. It was one of my favorite clubs. I hope some of those folks come to both our clubs, would hate to lose touch with some of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So far summer has been hot!!! dry!!!! and full of ticks!!!!! Maybe some of them will start traveling a little. Maybe they will still get together and run dogs. How did your meeting go, I was going to come up but David talked me out of it , he said he didn't expect there to be more than a couple there.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meeting went well, it would have been a long trip for ya to come to a short meeting. We elected a new VP Terry Davis, We are turning in for a State and Reg. GD Pack in Feb. and a State and Reg. GD Brace in October. Both would be Saturday Sunday Trials in hopes of getting more folks to come. Thats really all the big news, the rest was just some house keeping stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I sure hate to lose a Gundog Club. I think the one we started is going to go over pretty well especially if we can get game and fish to work with us a little better.

I only went to one trial they had but it seemed like a pretty good turnout to me. Did they just get tired of messing with it or what?

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a great club, one of my favorite ones to go too, great people too. I think they did just get tired of messing with it. A lot of the members have been around a long time, maybe they just got tired, I dont know for sure.

I hope your club takes off and our club takes off, I hope Ashgrove keeps going strong as well. Man we need more Gundog clubs. I think if folks saw the hounds we run they would do it. I mean we run hunting dogs, yes they are clean but man they are nice dang hunting hounds.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Getting SPO guys involved would help. I know it isn't as "prestigous" as AKC but it's pretty much the same format and style of dog. I'm sure alot of them would like it if they'd just give it a try.

I've heard some of them say ARHA dogs are rough, etc. but they wouldnt say that if they came to a couple of trials. Most of these dogs are alot smoother than some I've seen at AKC trials that were allowed to stay down and even place.

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, they hear ARHA and think Little Pack, where the dogs are rough. I think most would love the Gundog Pack. I wish ARHA would promote the gundog division more, but the money for them is Little Pack. I am going to try to at least get us on a cover of the Rabbit Hunter and maybe a story about the division, try and drum up some interest.

You been running? I have a little, wish I could get out more, its so hot when I get off work. Going out in the morning though.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I havent ran in over 3 weeks.

Im afraid theyll pick up bad habits trying to run rabbits as hot and as dry as its been here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Boys I must not know what rough is, as I hunt little pack and also gun hunt over my dogs, and i think they are pretty good dogs. Now i am not oposed to trying the other styles, but there aren't any close, that I know of. so what yall mean by rough

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Beagles have alot of different running styles. Some are called peanut rollers because they barely move and bark every step but theyre right on the track.

Some run alot faster and theyll track by air scent if they can and they run as fast as they can. They might be on the line or they might be 5' or more off of it. If a rabbit turns he might keep going 20' or more before he can get stopped. Those are generally considered rough.

Im not saying all fast dogs run that way but Im trying to describe the two extremes.

Dogs that do well in the formats we're talking about here are between the two. They stay on the line but make most of the turns. Theyll still have checks but when they do they start looking at the point of loss instead of looking farther out and just hoping they find it.

Its all in what you prefer. LP is by far the biggest format in the ARHA. They have a World Hunt every year where several hundred dogs show up.

There arent several hundred dogs that run in the Gundog Division in the whole country.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Progressive Pack~~~~~~~~~>

Here In Ga. the Progressive Pack is taking over, Not many Little Pack hunts held her anymore.

I like the P.P. format, as that is what, I want too gun over. I can't tolerate them rough L.P. style hounds.

I ran them P.P. format for a long time, then I got too old to travel, on the Big Roads, so I just gun hunt with my Grahdson's a few old Ga. Red necks, now days.

This season, I will post some of my gun hunts on here,and my pack of Red hounds, can't help but love them red/tan/white or some red ticks!

Sure do enjoy the Web sight, and I have a friend that lives, in Elkins, Ar. that has being buying some of my old P.P. bloodline, his name is Ron Cooper, he is pretty good at posting some photo's of his Gun Dogs! ( he got all his start here at my Kennels over the last 10 years, goes back to the old Gr.Fld.Ch. Honey Springs Radar) Radar was born and raise in Okla. Mr.George Blaine bought him at a young age and ran him in only P.P. he made Gr. and HOF also Sunshine Mill Hound Of The Year twice.. I owned Radar and have a Son out of him that I Call Pretty Boy Floyd, that is where Cooper gets his Stock from.

Keep Looking Up!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Dixie Land~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Ive never been to an LP trial anywhere but Ive been to quite a few PP trials in Arkansas and Missouri and Ive seen quite a few dogs in it that I consider rough.

I havent been trialing very long but Ive been told by guys that have done it a long time that the style dogs we run now in the Gundog Division are the style dogs they ran 10 years ago in PP. Some might disagree but Ive heard that from more than one per person.

I could probably find something I didnt like about any format if I thought about it long enough but one thing I never liked about PP is that you only bring one dog back from a cast to run in the next series. What if the 3 or 4 best dogs in the whole trial drew into the same cast? A dog could get lucky and get strike and jump points and pick up a few checks and outscore a dog that just locked on and really drove the rabbit without messing up.

But hey, thats just me. Alot of people like it here too cause there are probably 6 or 8 clubs and you can go to a trial just about every weekend.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks guys. I have not been trialing long either, and some of the terms I dont understand, but for the most part I can figure them out. I started hunting in Big Pack style club hunts at Tablerock Sportsman Association , in Blue Eye Mo. and then started their little pack hunts, my 11 yr old son likes the little pack and I like them all. I would like to try some of the other styles we have discussed it several times.

Do any of yall know of any fairly close to Harrison, Ar; I dont mind driving a few hours, for it is all about teaching my son about hunting, friendship, sportsmanship, and life lessons. I was rabbit hunting when and even before I was his age, and I guess its just in my blood.

D.R. I like the red hounds also. I have a wonderful young red hound i bought from Mr. Ray Freeman out of Doniphan, Mo.. Maybe I can get in touch with your friend in Elkins, Ar, for I am about an hour east of him. I sure would love to run with some of the hounds out of your stock.

Thank Ya'll for all the Info.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I dont know of any but you can go to www.arha.com and click on the different formats to see what might be close to you.

Gundog Pack/Brace is gonna be more suited to a slower, closer working dog.

Everybody likes something different and thats just one of many things that makes beagling fun.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Ron's phone ##

Mcarlton, I am going too send you a P.M,. with Ron's Phone #

Say the P.P. hounds they say have gotton a lots, roughter, and stronger in the last 10 years!!

I pretty been out of the Progress Pack for that long.

d.r.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :headscratch:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts