Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new hound from this fellow, and he never used ivomec on his hounds. I have noticed that she kinda has a cough every now and then. I was wondering if she does have heart worms would it hurt to start giving her ivomec or would it hurt her?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
More than likely the dog has some heartworms, but you can take it to the Vet for a simple blood test and find out. He will advise you as to whether or not there is something you can do. I know my Vet told me that Hartgard would kill the live worms a little at a time and not all at once which could cause heart failure.

They used to give them a heartworm treatment but it was very hard on dogs and not really a safe proceedure as it contained small amounts of arsenic. My Vet doesn't do this any longer. Hope this helps.

Roger

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would get her checked for heartworms first. If she has them and you give her Ivomec it will kill all of the heartworms at once and that will clog the arteries and kill the dog.If a dog has heartworms they have to be treated slowly.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i have to laugh at some of this answers. ivomec doesnt kill adult worms! it kills the larve and thats it. its a heartworrm preventative; not a treatment. continue to give dogs preventative to prevent further infestation of infected dog. expect theadult worms to die off in 3-4 years because that is their life cycle. beware of caval syndrome. caval syndrome is the migration of heartworms to the venal caval vein in the back that supplies blood back to tthe heart from thee lower body. this will block circulation and make a dog piss blood.

i now give my dogs of all age and condition 1/4 cc every other monday to prevent infestation and in some cases re-infestation.

BTW i have an infected dog that is 12 years old who does fine.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
http://www.oldcountryvet.com/youtube_heartworm.html

I think ivermectin is over rated and I have used it for years myself and still had dogs to show up with heartworms. I quit using it this year and started treating them with Hartgard in hopes of giving them a better chance. I can spend a few more dollars to help them. If you have ever watched a special hunting dog suffer with heartworms then you know what I'm talking about.

Roger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heart Guards active ingredient IS Ivermectin, I had an issue with a dog getting whip worms while I was treating with Ivermec, I took the dog to the vet and was told that with the ammount of time it took me to go through a bottle it was deteriorating and loosing its effectiveness. He suggested that if I did not use the whole bottle within a year discard it and buy more. I told him it was still within the experation date but he said that is unopened shelf life, once you open it and start using it it deteriorates quicker

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i treat 11 dogs and remove 5cc from bottle. i give each dog .3cc and discard the rest of the 5cc after the 11th dog. 50 ml bottle last 10 treatments which is 20 weeks.

i thougt about buying a larger bottle but dont because itwoud take too long to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts