ivomec question?

Discussion in 'Beagle Health' started by woodleaf, Mar 9, 2010.

1. woodleaf

woodleaf Member

Do you guys mix the ivomec with anything to make it taste better? The only problem I have with it is they seem to hate it. Its almost time for me to worm and I have a new dog. Hes a little kennel shy and I don't want to make him worse.

Also, does everybody give it all year or just during mosquito season.

2. Crofford

Crofford New Member

I give it year round. 1/10 cc per 10 pounds I mix it with about 1cc of water.

3. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

A lot of people will mix it with orange juice if they give it to the dogs oral.

I like to put mine in a needle and put it under the skin just like a 7-wat shot.

Seems to work better for me and I know they get it in their system that way.

4. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

I usually give it orally and mix mine with whatever we have in the refrigerator at the time.

Orange juice, apple juice, Ive even used sweet tea.

I give it year round here.

Im thinking about giving it under the skin especially after talking to a vet about it. He said something about one brand of Ivomec being oil based and they werent sure just how much of it was abosorbed into the dog. He recomended using a brand that is water based if you gave it to em by mouth.

5. Hobo Joe

Hobo Joe New Member

I have 8 dogs so I break a slice of bread into 8 pieces put my Ivomec on it and let it absorb then give it to them most of mine take it if any are fineky I put a little something on it for flavor, as far as year round I will alternate in Safe-Guard during hunting season because that will kill any tape worms that they might get

6. I give it straight in the back of the throat. It may not taste good but I won't hurt them. Even if he's kennel shy I don't think it will hurt as long as you handle and pet him. I have one that's a little shy too but she's not a problem at all to worm. Give it year round.

7. Sugar free kool-aide. Mixing it does not break it down so why not make it less traumatic for the hound?

I have read in some information posts that the ivomec streight can affect the vocal cords by burning them if given streight. Do not know this to be fact, but certainly will not tempt fate.

8. I've never heard that. That's the way that I've done it for years and never had a problem. I know some people give it under the skin and I've done that a few times but it burns em pretty bad that way and I just like giving it by mouth better.

9. rosco

rosco New Member

Most of the time I inject it into a hot dog.
    Oscar Mayer.

First class around here.

10. GRITS

GRITS New Member

i mix 14cc ivomec 86cc prophylene glycol give 1cc per 10lbs on the 1st of every month. my dogs love it. you can get the prophylene glycol at the feed store

11. I used to squirt it in their mouth, but I have red tick that is like a little Hulk and he would fight me to the death (none of rest of them liked it either). I don't know who would be more wore out after i got finished, him or me!! So I went to the store and bought the cheapest chicken nuggets I could find (like 100 in a bag for $2 or $3). The next month he got his chicken nugget and thought it was a treat:thumb:. So the next month after that, they all got it that way, and I have been doing it that way for a couple years now...