Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wormed my dogs, being the first of the month. Three of them, puked shortly afterward. May be that they were out running and got too hot. Question is... should I worm them again? I'd be scared to o.d. them. But also afraid to wait another month in this weather now that the mosquitos are out.:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
how big are they and how much you gave them? unless its some un godly amount i wouldnt think it would hurt i give 20-25 lb dogs .3cc every other week.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Blev,
It probably wont hurt.
In most cases overdoses of Ivomec has a long tem ( cronic, i like big words) ( yes cronic is a big word in Alabama) effect.
The problem with ivomec is after ronic overdoseing the kidneys will shut down. Alot of our dogs that we believed died of kidney failure because of age is a result of this. We just don't know it. An overdose or increase of dose everynow and again should have very little effect as long as its not crazy. Brandon gave ours 5 times to much one time. There was no short term effect. I give my dogs .25 cc's once a month. Torbin is using twice that much. If he has not seen any problems I would think you wold be o.k.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
how big are they and how much you gave them? unless its some un godly amount i wouldnt think it would hurt i give 20-25 lb dogs .3cc every other week.
Torbin,
Is this your year round dose and have you seen any negative effects ?
How long have you been using this dose ?

I am thinking about upping my dose during the summer months. I am just scared of the kidney thing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I had a dog die of caval syndrome (mirgation of heart worms to the venal caval vein) January of 09. All dogs tested positive for heartworms. I started dosing .15 every other week. Then I bumped it to .25 an bumped it again to .3 for probably close to a year. It should e noted I had one dog die in march 09 from congestive heart failure. She was infected with heartworms and not to mention had 9 1/2 years of hard hunting under her belt. Additionally the dog with caval was almost eight and also ran hard. The only other dog to die was about 10 months old and she died the saturday of Easter sunday weekend. My vet cut her open and saw she had a ruptured colon. He stated it was either a birth defect or injury that caused that. Being he never really started an acted more like a pet I would say it was a birth defect because she knew she didn't have long to live and tried to suck up all the attention she could from me.

So I would say there have been no long term effects. My vet said that this amount of ivomec would be safe and give better coverage.

Yes this is my year round dose. In south louisiana we have to use therma cells in the duck blind in December and January.

Hey do y'all think maybe bp will kill all the mosiqutios with their spill or just eerything else???

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Torbin,
Thanks for the info. I am going to move to your schedule.
As far as the spill killing mosiqutios :::::::: the answer issssNo.
I work at an oil refinery here in south Alabama and the guys that work night shift get eat up every night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts