Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an 18 month male that I bred to 3 different females a few months ago.

One of them was an old female and she lost the pups but the other two were misses.

I know misses are part of breeding but I was more than a little suprised that he'd miss two in a row and said something about it to a buddy of mine.

He asked me how long it had been since I had given him Ivomec and I told him just a day or two on the first one and less than a week on the second.

He said that he'd heard Ivomec knocks the sperm count down in a male for a few days after you give it to em.

Yall ever heard of that?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
FB, I've never Heard of that either and even if it did cause a drop you would think an 18 month old hound would have plenty to spare. I'll ask my Vet and see what he says.

Roger

·
Registered
324 Posts
Freddie, I've never heard that at all. There are so many people that have used this stuff for years that surely we would have found that out by now if it could really happen. I wanna say there's no way that is the reason, but I don't know that for sure so I can't say that. I know it's possible for any dog to be sterile but they say that inbreeding or alot of the same crosses on top and bottom up close can cause the chances of deformities, crooked legs, one testical, sterile, ect., to be higher. There are a million reasons a dog could be sterile but I just don't think at all that is why, but I'm not a vet. Did Gracy not take?

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Jarrod but I just saw your question. :smack:

No, she didnt take. I dont know if its true or not but Ive heard that most of the time that a mating doesnt work out its the bitch's fault, not the male's. I bred him 3 times to 3 different females and only 1 took. She had to have a c section and all the pups were dead so I havent gotten anything out of him yet and I sure wanted to. ninja turtle bred a female to him awhile back but I havent talked to him lately to see if she's showing.

I agree you can get deformities with close breedings but Ive seen deformities from dogs that werent related at all too so its worth the risk imo.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ivomec Sterilization

I've heard of it back in the early 90's. The woman from No MO tape wormer said she knew how to reverse it. I was told if you gave too much ivomec over a long period of time could sterilize a male. 1/10 per 10 lbs. is recommended by my Vet every 30 days. In 25 years I've had no issues thus far.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I never heard of that either.

Bring your male to get a sperm count check.

Prostate infection with no symptoms could drop the count way down to nill.

I know several of them black dogs males and females that could never make a pup. Some can make a few off and on.

Mitch Huguet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts