Ivermectin paste

Discussion in 'Beagle Health' started by lock69, May 11, 2018.

1. lock69

lock69 Member

The paste made for horses, can it be used for beagles. If so what one do I buy and how much do you give each month. For heartworm prevention.thanks I am sure this has been asked and answered before.

2. John Taylor

John Taylor Well-Known Member

My Vet said he doesn't recommend the paste, as it is met for a horse wormer. The ivermic in it isn't mixed evenly throughout the tube. When used in dogs, it may not get hardly any when given one or two clicks, then in the other two clicks may get an overdose. You just don't truly know how much the dog is getting.

howards kennels likes this.

3. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

Mr Taylor ,what did your Vet recommend that was as reasonable priced as the horse wormer

4. John Taylor

Ivermic Liquid given by mouth. It is the cheapest way to go. Not as affective as it use to be, but if followed on a monthly schedule works well. Once bottle is open put in fridge. My local Vet is old school, but does recommend the new expensive stuff over this, but does work with us beaglers and understands with high numbers of dogs we can have at times we want to find cheaper alternatives. The Ivermic will probably work as well as the expensive stuff if administered on schedule. He told me that a half CC using a syringe by mouth, is what I should give for my dogs size. I mostly have 15" class dogs. I just reduce the dosage for pups and the smaller dogs. Again, as with other medications, some dogs may check positive for heartworms. My sons Welsh Corgy just checked positive, but I'm not sure he followed his schedule as he should of.

I order my Ivermic from Amazon, A bottle usually last me a year, can't get cheaper then that. Revival has a great price also, link below:

https://www.revivalanimal.com/produ..._term=4580909038999388&utm_content=Terramycin

5. LtELmer

how much do you reduce to for 13 in hounds one half cc isnt much

6. Markw

Markw Member

I give 1/2 cc to mine it has worked for me

7. Culverbeagles

Culverbeagles Active Member

Il
    Which type of ivermectin do you use seen some for cattle seen some for horses

8. John Taylor

Use the Cattle & Swine, the dosage recommended use to be 1/10 CC per 10 pounds orally, but Vets have increased it to more for the average beagle, since heartworms are getting resistant to it, the dosage is increased. I give mine 1/2 CC which would be 5/10 CC, which at one time was enough for a 50 Lb. dog. Dogs except for collie's can be over dosed to some extent without much or any effect. I don't know why Collie's can't be overdosed, actually Vets will not approve Ivermic for Collies.

Redbarn67 likes this.
  9. BeaglePat

BeaglePat Member

I've used the horse wormer paste for about 15 years works great for me... pups and grown dogs... But to each is own ..... just my little input

power likes this.
  10. TRK

TRK Member

I gave a 13" female (22 Pounds) 6/10 of a CC of the 1% Sterile Ivomec for 30 days straight as a teatment for mange. This was what my vet advised. It worked with no side effects. I used to be a afraid of the stuff, but now I am not nearly as worried about it. Also a vet told me it will cause siezures in collies.

11. TRK

TRK Member

That should have been seizures.

12. jeffro

jeffro Active Member

1/2 cc of the liquid here straight given orally has worked here for a long time.It is easier to give than the paste in my opinion

13. 29DF4634-F5DF-4199-A686-748CBF1B0127.jpeg A little off topic but a pretty interesting read on horse wormer.

14. rienmark

rienmark Active Member

I really don't understand you can get the Sentinel for dogs for $95 a year and it keeps off fleas and ticks and it don't have a picture of a horse on it or a cow or Pig is this just a price issue thing I would like some help in understanding I've heard of ivermectin for years

15. rienmark

rienmark Active Member

I got six head of dogs and I guess it is a little pricey when you have to give it up all at once which is what I do $600 a year to not have to worry about fleas ticks or worms I guess in my area what are we have a lot of fleas and ticks for eight months out of the year I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder

16. rienmark

rienmark Active Member

Also takes care of hookworms roundworms and whipworms

17. BeaglePat

BeaglePat Member

One tube of horse wormer last me about 4 months for 7 dogs... only cost 4 bucks .... no worms no mange very healthy .... talkin bout cost effective....lol

Circle4p likes this.
  18. LtELmer

thats what I use but am considering going to liquid.Sometimes have issues getting the paste down.But dont spend 100 a yr.but I dont do a total worming but once or twice a year,no need for with off ground kennels.

BeaglePat likes this.
  19. rienmark

rienmark Active Member

That's cool but after reading text ticks and more ticks I think I'll stick with my $95 a year

20. Circle4p

Circle4p Active Member

I been using Jeffers ivermectin paste for 6 years rarely have fleas ticks or worms.