Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a different speed of dog than most on this site. I don't breed very often and when I do, I don't do it for the money. I just try to cover the expense of raising them. I raised a litter two years ago and thought it would be my last. Someone talked me into raising just one more litter to slow my pack down a bit. The litter two years ago, she had twelve and raised them all. They were all sold two weeks after I posted them. This year's litter she had five and I can't seem to give them away. Seems that most who post pups for sale on this site get them sold pretty quickly. I do post on other sites. Is it my line or the economy? I know money is tight. I will say that it seems a lot of the beaglers in my area are slowing their pack down. Hope this makes a little sense and didn't mean to ramble. Just a little confused. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lot of people buying working dogs this time of year want something they can take hunting and not something they have to train. My experience better luck selling puppies in spring and summer. Could be other factors like economy too. Then again puppies used to go for 100 - 200 and I have seen several people getting 400 -500 for a8 week old puppy. Times just changing I guess.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I certainly wouldn’t blame it on your line or the pedigree. I’ve heard others say the same. Not sure what it would be but don’t doubt what you like. Maybe a good time to reach for those looking for a pet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think it's a combination of things.1) the economy, 2) a lot of people want to get something for nothing, 3) many meat hunters wont pay much for hounds that they will sell when the hunting season is over. 4) who's selling the hound.I honestly dont think that some of the biggest names in field trialing have issues with selling pups or grown dogs.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
It definitely makes a difference who you are and if your well known to breed good dogs.I have a friend that could sell a horse that id take 400.00 for and he could sell it for 1500.00 or more just because of who he is.Had another friend once that fought roosters.He was at a fight one day and sold some roosters to a well known rooster breeder for 65.00 a piece and that man sold them that same day for 300.00 a piece.Just because of who he was.Ive sold pups quick on craigslist.Went for pets but they went.Im sure pups sells have slowed down now.Unless you have what people really want.I dont sell enuff to know.But i do know theres lots of beagles out there.

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you're on Facebook, you will likely see more interest for the faster lines there. My bitch was a direct daughter of Reggie and I used to get pretty good level of inquiries when I didn't have any for sale, started referring them to a friend with similar breeding and he later told me I'd helped them sell something like 18 pups LOL

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Breed dogs you like that make you happy and don't sweat all the small stuff like money, selling, what judges or other people like or what other people think or what other beaglers are doing.

Many of em are just making a mess anyway.

All that is a revolving up and down three ring circus. That is ever changing, hit and miss, unstable and un-profitable ground. Jump off soon as you can.

Don't listen to none of that crap in the beagle books......You know what you want and where you are going and you got good dogs. Keep them that way. Stay focused and it will all work out bro.

Keep reaching for the dogs you like and work to get whole litters of them every breeding it is very possible I promise you it is and keep making them them better and better according to YOU and no one else!

Don't worry...BE HAPPY!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I like the looks and breeding of your pups and agree with the comments that big name people can always sell dogs or pups or whatever.
Would love to have a couple pups right now but just bought new place and don't have time to dedicate to a puppy right now.
Don't get discouraged, breed for what you want and forget what everyone else thinks. Keeping them might be a blessing once you get them going you will see

·
Super Moderator
2,204 Posts
Stimulus money is gone, living expenses have skyrocketed. This has hurt the average blue collar rabbit hunter the most. Demand for pleasure and hunting only dogs is not what it was due to the things mentioned above plus habitat is disappearing at an alarming rate. Some bloodlines and breeders of field trial dogs are still selling pretty good though. You will never make a long term living selling pups. Some crooks make a little for a little while. For us working people It is nice to re-coup some of the cost of raising them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Makes me feel a little better.
If you're on Facebook, you will likely see more interest for the faster lines there. My bitch was a direct daughter of Reggie and I used to get pretty good level of inquiries when I didn't have any for sale, started referring them to a friend with similar breeding and he later told me I'd helped them sell something like 18 pups LOL
I'm on facebook and several other beagle sites. I get some interest, but nothing concrete. I've dropped the price drastically and even tried to give pup as a prize in a charity event close by. I think I must have B.O. or something. Like I said before, I've never had this much trouble moving them before.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Breed dogs you like that make you happy and don't sweat all the small stull like money, selling, what judges or other people like or what other people think or what other beaglers are doing.

Many of em are just making a mess anyway.

All that is a revolving up and down three ring circus. That is ever changing, hit and miss, unstable and un-profitable ground. Jump off soon as you can.

Don't listen to none of that crap in the beagle books......You know what you want and where you are going and you got good dogs. Keep them that way. Stay focused and it will all work out bro.

Keep reaching for the dogs you like and work to get whole litters of them every breeding it is very possible I promise you it is and keep making them them better and better according to YOU and no one else!

Don't worry...BE HAPPY!
I do breed what I like and it's not for money that I breed.. I have 4 running dogs and the pup I'm keeping makes 5. That's about all I can handle and running ground is getting hard to come by here. I'm just confused on why they're seemingly not wanted these days. And I am basically HAPPY.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Believe it or not

God wants to be included in every aspect of your life....as......He loves you!!!!!...He loves HIM some Jerwane!!!!!...OH...Yes he do....BIG TIME!!!!!!

When normal things start to get weird or suspiciously out of kilter I run to GOD quick as I can. If you were trapped in this body with me you would understand!!!!

I stop and get on them prayer bones (knees) quick as I can and ask GOD...What and then help? I pray about everything even all my dog breeding's what to keep who to breed to what and my dog dealings with others until I get a peace about what to do. Today if the peace don't come.....I squat and sit tight and don't move. I do nothing and stay put....most of the time.

Looking back I have noticed....The times I got all excited and leaned, depended on my own know it all understanding and I did not pray first....or..... I did and did not stay put and wait for the peace to come about dog decisions and dog dealings..... those are all the ones that went very sour for me and Mrs. Shawn. All of em straight down hill and came to misery and naught.

Ask the Lord to show you what to do. Ask him what HE wants done in this situation and then wait on him.
================================================================================
I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.

Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. 8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. 9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.

For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. 5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it....I really love this one!

My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’m sure the economy isn’t helping. I’m going to buy a running dog probably next weekend. Going to watch a couple run at least. When buying a new dog/pup in the whole scheme of things the cost of the actual dog is cheap compared to gps collars,good kennels,dog house,feed,etc.Even if it’s not a cheap dog. I know you don’t have to have a gps collar but it sure is nice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’m sure the economy isn’t helping. I’m going to buy a running dog probably next weekend. Going to watch a couple run at least. When buying a new dog/pup in the whole scheme of things the cost of the actual dog is cheap compared to gps collars,good kennels,dog house,feed,etc.Even if it’s not a cheap dog. I know you don’t have to have a gps collar but it sure is nice.
How are your two dogs you had when you had Dollar working out

·
Registered
254 Posts
I run a different speed of dog than most on this site. I don't breed very often and when I do, I don't do it for the money. I just try to cover the expense of raising them. I raised a litter two years ago and thought it would be my last. Someone talked me into raising just one more litter to slow my pack down a bit. The litter two years ago, she had twelve and raised them all. They were all sold two weeks after I posted them. This year's litter she had five and I can't seem to give them away. Seems that most who post pups for sale on this site get them sold pretty quickly. I do post on other sites. Is it my line or the economy? I know money is tight. I will say that it seems a lot of the beaglers in my area are slowing their pack down. Hope this makes a little sense and didn't mean to ramble. Just a little confused. Thanks for letting me vent.
What speed you running

·
Registered
83 Posts
One is doing good. The other was just to trashy and just couldn’t help himself with running a deer every once in a while. I also realized he was bad about cutting to get the front and causing those kind of problems. So I gave him to a guy that runs deer dogs.But I got a female last fall that’s 3 now that I really like. She runs a cleaner line and has plenty of hunt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts