Info/ opinions needed?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Bloodlines, and Pedigrees' started by Johnathan Sizemore, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Johnathan Sizemore

Johnathan Sizemore Well-Known Member

2C404764-6E2C-4E21-A077-D57CFEC58551.jpeg Hey this is one of my uncle’s dog one of few that’s papered. What do y’all think about the bloodline? Any information on the Northway Line?

2. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    They are fast, good blood line for running Hare, you can solo and get them to where they will gear down and run cottontails. Takes time. I had Branko female that could do both, a lot of soloing and running her constantly. She was smart and knew how to do it.

3. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Lots of good blood in there. X2 what Fox said.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

SE Ohio
    The Northway hounds all trace back to several LPH champions sired by FC Northway Spur, who was the foundation sire of that line. Paul Kormorny, in New York state, is the breeder of the Northway Beagles. Top breeder Dexter Reffett, from David, KY, became famous for creating the Reffett’s KY MTN line, based on the Northway line.

The Reffett/Northway hounds are known to be some of the hardest hunting hounds you can find. They generally have extremely hard search, moderate medium-fast speed with control, and so much grit and toughness they will run until they hurt themselves. This is a bloodline praised by hunters who want a driving hound that can still control a track. They do well on cottontail, but have enough drive to run hare.

The top side of that pedigree is nearly all Branko, which is similar in style to Northway, except generally more speed and less control. They are probably more suited to running hare (my opinion) but a lot of people do run cottontail with Branko bloodlines.

hdstewart, davemcc, Brandon and 7 others like this.
  5. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Well-Known Member

Do you primarily run cottontail or hares? Some hare dogs can run cottontail but it’s not their speciality. This is hare dog blood. They don’t do nearly as well on twisty turny runs as big more predictable circles

6. duke1

duke1 Well-Known Member

Combine what bowguy and huntsman said and thats my answer.

7. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    I have a friend that has Northway/Branko bred dogs and they may be a little loose on line but they hunt hard/ nonstop all day. They run cottontail pretty darn good and a swamper don’t stand a chance

8. Johnathan Sizemore

My uncle says when where running ( that dog has a big heart) he don’t stop all day hunt with no stop! Thanks for the info I love learning about the bloodlines and breeders!

9. Johnathan Sizemore

we run/hunt strictly cottontail that’s all we have here in southeastern KY. My uncles pack consist of Alot of Northway, Branko blood and they do very well for us. They run between a 6-8 on speed they gear up and down very well according to conditions.

hdstewart, TJRANGER, Circle4p and 3 others like this.
  10. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    You and your uncle need to take your dogs into snow country and run Snowshoe Hare, to see how they run differently then cottontails. There are numerous videos of Hare, and Patch hounds running Snowshoes, check them out. If you ever go Hare hunting you will be hooked.:) Watch the videos and let me know what you think of them.

11. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

I saw two directly out of Spur and both had excellent hunt. I have seen some out of Prime Time with great line control.

Johnathan Sizemore and Circle4p like this.
  12. Johnathan Sizemore

Some people act like Branko hounds have zero line control. I find this to be wrong they do sometimes overrun a track but everyone we have they’ll whirl around after a couple feet of no scent and go into a check.

13. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    Mine do the same and have slowed down some and better line control running with a step slower dog. Make great crosses in my opinion. Especially if you run swampers the majority of time

14. Johnathan Sizemore

we run strictly cottontail because that’s all we have and our hounds have adapted very well! ESPECIALLY the Northway/Reffitts and Branko cross. They have enough foot that ole Mr rabbit can’t be just sitting around during a run but also have enough brains to stop running when there’s no scent.

15. davemcc

davemcc Well-Known Member

Johnathan. I have a long time buddy that I hunt with a few times each year he’s had the Northway/ Branko cross for meany years. His are good solid meat hounds I’d say his has well above average hunt all day hunters and plenty of grit. At times they do over run the line but they know where they last smelled it they shut up Quickly gets back to the point pick it and go What impressed me the most about them on a hard ck they didn’t fly all around they work from the point of loss out with no Extra bark and always came up with the rabbit over all there a good solid rabbit dogs that you can Count on to find you a rabbit and circle him to the gun

16. Johnathan Sizemore

Yeh we can literally run for 6-8 hours and the dogs are still ready to roll. They have never failed to produce. And yes there’s things that aren’t always perfect but they are hard to beat! I’ve never been to a field trial and don’t know how they would do in that but they can flat out push a rabbit too yah!

[email protected] and Circle4p like this.
  17. davemcc

davemcc Well-Known Member

Yep that’s what it’s all about. At the end of the hunt if you have a big smile and pat the old hounds on the head give them a big At a boy and can’t wait for the x hunt You have rabbit dogs. It doesn’t matter about trials. It’s about that smile on your face.

18. tommy d

tommy d Active Member

THATS SOUNDS LIKE MY LITTLE NIP OTIS DOG'S WITH A SHOT OF BUCKSHOT AND PRO BLOOD,,,,,,,,,ALL DAY HUNTERS AND HATES A RABBIT,,,,,RUNS TO CATCH.

19. Johnathan Sizemore

They don’t cut the ole (JIG) a break as my uncle says. Lol

[email protected] and Circle4p like this.