Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a one year old male bluetick (been here 1 1/2 weeks) and he has developed a spot in the last day or so about 1.5" by 4" where the hair fell of on his front shoulder. The skin where the hair fell of is infected looking with slight drainage. There is no sign of injury, insect bite, or snake bite. He has been in the kennel the whole time he was here. The surrounding skin where hair is still present also shows some sign of like bumps or infected hair follicles. He drinks well, eats well, plays, and shows no sign of sickness. I have been cleaning it with rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and then treating the are with Betadine solution. Any ideas what this might be?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Thats good advice from Stavemill
Nu-stock is cheap and can be used for just about any skin problem
with good results

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't find the nu-stock this evening but I have heard alot of people brag on it and the literature said it would treat hotspots and all other skin problems and wounds so I bought a bottle of Vetirycin (spray bottle).

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
hot spot

If you cannot find Nustock, find a produce with sulfur in it as the active ingretient. A lot of horse products are sold with sulfur or you can mix your own. Go to your drug store and buy a bottle of sulfur and mix with oil or petroleum jelly and apply to the area. It will look worse at first when it starts to dry and get flaky but the hair will start growing back in a week of so.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Nustock works great on a whole lot of different skin problems but Im wondering if maybe you shouldnt start him on some antibiotics too since you said it looks infected and has drainage. Its hard to say without actually seeing it but from your description I think I would if it were mine.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
If it is a fungus I use CAPTAN which is made to kill fungus on roses. It works great on range fungus or ( range rot ) that gets on horses and works on dogs too.

Roger

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't find the nu-stock this evening but I have heard alot of people brag on it and the literature said it would treat hotspots and all other skin problems and wounds so I bought a bottle of Vetirycin (spray bottle).
The spot is nearly completely healed. The bottle of Vetirycin states that it is for treatment of wide variety of conditions including hot spots. The drainage and infection look to be gone, the skin looks to be past the infection after 4 days of treatment. Thanks for the advice, (side note I only gave one antibiotic pill 250 mg).

·
Registered
116 Posts
something ive used for years for all sorts of ailments while i'm out in the field...stings,rashes,cuts,etc. is plantain(plantago) leaves, aka ribwort or the band-aid plant. grows in almost everyones yard and widely thought to be a weed. it was at one time considered one of the greatest of herbs. i chew the leaves up and put it on whatever ails me. it will draw stuff out of the skin and clean the wound,which makes it great for stings,bites,rashes and such. my dog had a spot under his leg that was simliar to what you described. i just chewed up a mouthful and rubbed it on there, holding the wad for a few minutes like a poultice. did this a few times for 2 days and it was fine.trust me, this stuff works and is free:D, which makes it better. i believe the good Lord put many cures for us here on earth, just growing outta the ground...
read the "uses" paragraph under this link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago

1 - 12 of 12 Posts