Line Blaze Hawk X IH Majer Jig Water Cristy
Swamp music Lou An IH major
Speedy”s Wizard of Oz
Sandhill Tulip
State line Maggie IH Majer Ikes Little Tim Tim Davis and Robert Smith
Skull Creek lil Ben IH Majer X Swamp river Belle Nace J Macalus
Indiana Hills Coby IH Majer X Valars knee high pepperJack Newsome
Fausts Majorette IH Majer X Smokey's East coasts Shadow Fred Faust

I want to thank John New and RB Sester for their help to make this possible through interviews in 2010.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used to run Boldstroke beagles
I ran with a friend in Michigann that similar stile dog
Bramilet dogs were just as fast as ours Run to catch.
I could not when my dogs were close to rabbit just before they would catch the rabbit.
ARHA little pack beagles were fun to run!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all welcome aboard Fast Dogs.
You forgot Trapper direct out of Major.
I have a gyp that has Trapper as GSire and Major as GGsire.
Thanks for the update. Is your gyp fast? most of my Boldstroke beagles were fast. Boldstroke Jill was the one that caught the rabbit.
You could tell when she was getting close to the rabbit by how she would bark. I started her in junior derby trials with the AKC.
She had been to a hare trial in Northern Michigan.
ARHA Little pack trial is where she finished as a Champian
Where are you located?
pm me anytime.

·
Super Moderator
5,999 Posts
Fast Dogs, my gyp is pretty quick but I wouldn’t call her fast, she’s about a 7 on scale 1-10. I really like her. She has learned how to gear down and work a track not just run. This took a lot of solo time then running her with slower dogs then faster dogs. She built her confidence up during solo and running with slower dogs and learned that overrunning her nose would not allow her to keep the front. She is competitive and likes the front but has learned to slow down and slot up with faster dogs and make them pay if they over run. She can carry and hold the lead most days. Havnt trialed her yet but I think I may start taking her next month as we have several around here,just to see how she would do. I have had Indian Hills blood in my kennel for lots of years and she is only one left. Hope to breed her next year.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Real nice dogs.

Some of the best dogs I ever seen were Major on top of some outstanding old Skullfork Blackcreek hounds that could run a rabbit. Hunt, jump power, grit, line straddling control, close, tight, clean check work, I mean right on it, big noses and could drive when the rabbit got up and turn on a dime.

They had all the gears and did super good in SPO and ARHA. It didn't really mater what you put them with or ran them in they instantly adapted and became one of the better hounds on the ground.

They could just do it and make it look so easy. They seemed to constantly change their style to adapt to the rabbit they were running. They would just pour it all over a rabbit. They were killers of rabbits for sure and even SPO folks liked their style. They were sure enough rabbit dogs not some of this wimpy stuff you see all over the place today. They were HOUNDS! It was bad when they got after a rabbit. It was a scene! Something was gonna give.

When I got what I thought I needed to put under Major he was already gone or I would have a kennel full of that today.

I tried to buy the ones I saw but just did not have the money at that age. Big time hunters that know hounds paid thousands of dollars a piece for them way back then.

They impressed me so much even to this day...... you just don't see dogs hunt, jump and pour it all over a rabbit like that!!! Just one of them crosses that stuns your brain when you see it. I begged for one of them hounds to no avail.

Mitch

·
Registered
618 Posts
Trapper was not sired by Majer.

Trapper was by FC Mark V’s Ace in the Hole and out of FC Indian Hills Princess II, she by Indian Hills Rowdy.

Majer was sire of Rowdy, making him Trapper’s great-grandsire on his dam’s side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fast Dogs, my gyp is pretty quick but I wouldn’t call her fast, she’s about a 7 on scale 1-10. I really like her. She has learned how to gear down and work a track not just run. This took a lot of solo time then running her with slower dogs then faster dogs. She built her confidence up during solo and running with slower dogs and learned that overrunning her nose would not allow her to keep the front. She is competitive and likes the front but has learned to slow down and slot up with faster dogs and make them pay if they over run. She can carry and hold the lead most days. Havnt trialed her yet but I think I may start taking her next month as we have several around here,just to see how she would do. I have had Indian Hills blood in my kennel for lots of years and she is only one left. Hope to breed her next year.
Do you have that ped. on your Indian Hills females?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think it’s interesting that the late John New, who was Majer’s breeder, did not want any Majer in his hounds. There was something he saw in Majer as a young hound that did not suit him. I never asked specifically what that was. I did judge Majer several times at trials and I liked him. From all his placements, it was obvious lots of other judges liked him too. He stamped his puppies with his look and ability.

I personally have liked the hounds I had with Majer behind them. I have numerous crosses of Majer behind my hounds today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it’s interesting that the late John New, who was Majer’s breeder, did not want any Majer in his hounds. There was something he saw in Majer as a young hound that did not suit him. I never asked specifically what that was. I did judge Majer several times at trials and I liked him. From all his placements, it was obvious lots of other judges liked him too. He stamped his puppies with his look and ability.

I personally have liked the hounds I had with Majer behind them. I have numerous crosses of Majer behind my hounds today.
I wonder if he ever wonder if he made a mistake or would have he done as good if R B Sester hadn't gotten him? I guess it just depends on what we do with them. Mine is around 13 in. and I love his hunt. It's a little faster pace on hunting than my male directly off of Kimbrel's Kick'em Up Kane. I like them both. What do you have them crossed with?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have bred along lines similar to those John used, except I included several crosses of Majer too. I would rate Mr New at or near the top of the list of all hound (not just beagles) breeders I have known in my 44+ years of studying scent hounds.

John New was as demanding with his hound breeding as anyone I ever knew, and he knew how to get the most from them from a trialing perspective. He chose Majer’s littermate sister, Pearl, as his pick after watching Majer, Wanamaker, and Pearl develop as young hounds. Pearl became a field champion too, so you cannot fault John for selecting her over her brothers. She was all over his later pedigrees, and mine too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts