improving habitat for rabbits

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by FB, Apr 5, 2010.

1. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

What if anything do yall do to improve the rabbit population where you run?

Ive got about 50 acres that have been logged pretty good so most of its pretty thick. Ive bushogged some trails through it in some places so I can see dogs and also get my 4 wheeler through it.

Ive put out salt blocks and piled up old pallets to give rabbits a place to get away from most predators.

Anything else I can do short of kill every coyote, hawk, owl, fox, bobcat, etc. that I see? Ive killed several coyotes but I dont think its put much of a dent in the population.

After everything Ive done I dont seem to have any more rabbits than I did when I started.

2. rosco

rosco New Member

FB,
    I noticed most of the big pens around here have feeders.

3. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

FB - All you can do is give them plenty of tight low to mid cover and good feed year round. The rest is up to mother nature.

4. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

Plant some clover, or put feeders in.

5. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

You can just spread triple 13 fertilizer over the cover to make sure it gets thick where you want it too.

6. rosco

rosco New Member

FB,
    I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.:idea:
    Plant a garden. Do everything you can to keep the rabbits out.
    Electric fence, Noise makers, shot gun whatever you can think of.
    Act as if you don't want the rabbits there.

Do all this for 2 weeks and every rabbit in the county will be at your place.:D

7. HunterMS

HunterMS New Member

Light disking in the late winter and early spring does wonders to promote briars and other plants that deer and rabbits find palatable. A biolgoist told me that this is as importants and much cheaper than planting food plots. Only disk one time. Do not disk as you would in planting a food plot.

Burning is very important. I started doing this on my land and have seen a noticeable difference in the deer and rabbit populations. Obviously, you only want to do parts of your pen. Not the entire pen.

I'm not sure how helpful feeding is. Never tried it much. I would definitely feed corn in the winter months.

8. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

rosco-Thats a good way to get grass to grow in your yard too. Just put out some tomato plants. :smack:

I might try the disking or the clover even though I dont think food is much of an issue in my case. This place is thick with lots of briars and honeysuckle. Id love to burn it off but there are houses on 3 sides and Id be afraid it might get away from me.

Just so yall know, this isnt a pen. Its just woods at my house that my father in law owns.

9. RKW

RKW Active Member

FB, your running ground sounds a lot like mine. I have a long term plan to build 3 maybe 4 lanes through it and fence it. It will cost a little but when I get it completed it should be very workable. I will be able to burn 1 or 2 sections a year to help maintain good running grounds. I put salt out and might use feeders at some point. Deer and hogs worked over my feeders and the hogs tore one up. I have moved them out for now. I will plant clover in the lanes and fertilze all of them. I have to go do some therapy right now but I would like to talk about this some more when I get back.

Roger

10. I prodcast corn by hand ever day while out runen in thick honey suckle thickits & briar heads , Also have 2 wheat & turnup plots, I plant a good size clover patch last spring & as soon as it got hot it died , later i found out there are 2 different type clover, 1 fer early & 1 fer late planting, or thats what the coop man said so i guess i planted the wrong kind. I allso throw out a lot of sweet taters fer em but be careful not to throw emm out in open , that makes em fer easy pray fer flying creaters

11. HunterMS

HunterMS New Member

Clover is very good. Crimson clover is good for late winter and early spring. Arrowleaf clover is good for late spring and early summer. Durana clover (white clover) is very good. It will last pretty much all year except during late summer when it gets very hot and dry here in Mississippi. But it is very tough and will come back when it starts raining in the fall. It does not grow alot in the fall and winter but really takes off in the spring.

Your soil must be limed good for clover.

I have heard that rabbit really like chicory, but have never tried it. It is suppose to be drought tolerant and grow good in the summer. Also, will tolerate a lower Ph than clovers.

12. RKW

RKW Active Member

I may try some of that chicory as I have some low PH soil in part of the property. Is it a grass or leafy type of plant?

Roger

13. HunterMS

HunterMS New Member

Leafy. It can be planted in spring or summer, but most recommend to plant it in the fall in the South because of the hot dry summers. If you plant it in the fall you will not see much growth until Spring.

14. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

up at my buddy's farm we plant wheat and clover patches this does bring some deer in though:banghead:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010