Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just my opinion 5 to 6 dogs is the ideal size pack anymore at some point I would think the slot dogs are no longer tracking the rabbit instead they are tracking the other dogs in front or should I say tagging along. This is just my opinion I'm no expert to say the least.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree to a certain point. There is a difference in a pack of 7or8 dogs running a rabbit and just tagging along compared to a pack that has there noses to the ground running the rabbit and not the other dogs. You just have to get dogs with all the same style.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the dogs we had back then were the run to catch type. they all took turns at the front. they were dogs that complimented each other very well. we were in the habit of huntng every saturday and sunday. we pretty much killed 40-50 rabbits a weekend. those were the times. we brought so many leads and handed two or three out to each hunter so i cant recall if i hunted more for dogs or leashes after the hunts. lol now i normal run up to four by myself or six if im with someone else. i really enjoy bracing two dogs more than anything.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I think alot of this depends on the dogs running style.

For the line control dogs that I like now Id say 4 - 6 but back in the day when I ran alot faster dog we'd put down 8 or 10 or more.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I Like to run 3 at the max if im running young dogs. They can keep it moving and get plenty of rabbits for themselves. If I am reall trying to fill the cooker, I will turn five or six loose.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think it depends. I really like running trios or braces, depending on the dog. I even like to solo one. I also like running with good friends, and we will run 6 or so. If the dogs are seasoned, don't mind a biggerr pack, but like to keep my young dogs in a smaller pack. JMO

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
I usually run 5 or 6 due to the fact I have so many in the kennel (20). It is rewarding and enjoyable to see a dog solo a rabbit for 1-2 hrs. With this said the is NOTHING, I mean NOTHING that sounds better than 14 like style beagles after a buck rabbit! Unless it is 40 foxhounds running a coyote! Sweet music!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts