Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the general opinion on hunting a pregnant female? do you think it can be beneficial to pups and/or dam or will potential dangers do more harm than good? thanks

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Creeper,
Here is my opinion.
My last female to have a litter ran 2 days before she gave birth. She did not run with the other dogs long but she ran. Two negatinves I can think of are scratching her underside and weight. You have to keep her wieght on her. The puppies were fine but I will not do it that late again. I now relize raising pups is a stress on the female and she needs to be well rested.
I now have a female that has been carring pups for 3 weeks. I will allow her to run once a week for the next three weeks then put her up. I just want her to get some exercise and she hates to be left in the pen listing to the race.
That is just my opinion it an 75 cents will get you a coke.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think it does good to run the female while she is bred it will help keep her in good shape for when th pups arrive. I would probobly quit around 6 or 7 weeks though to give any scratches she may have time to heel up before pups start trying to nurse

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. thats inline with my normal procedure. i had read a article years ago in outdoor life and wondered if anyone else felt like wise.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I will run them untill they are about 6 weeks breed. After 6 wks they begin to ge that bigger belly and I put them up in the brooder 2weeks before they are due.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I like to let em run till they're about 3 weeks away. I think it's better for em to be at least a little bit in shape instead of being too fat.

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts