Rabbit Dogs banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
That's it!

That is the stuff Mr. John. Thanks for posting.

Those pedigrees are a beautiful site to behold.

The good old days of hunting dogs! I remember when hounds like that impressed breeders in all formats of hounds all around the country and most seemed to work together to make a better dog. We were not so divided and segregated as beagle fanciers.

Like you said sir those dogs were outstanding gundogs and extremely successful performers no matter where you brought them as the good ones always succeeded under the gun no matter the terrain.

It seemed like folks bred for more of a gundog at that time. I also noticed that breeders did not limit themselves to SPO, only for example but reached out for qualities they admired in other lines of hounds also. It wasn't all about just Field Trialing only it seemed. I may be wrong I don't know.

Many say beagles are much better toady as a whole I guess that is a matter of certain hounds and opinions and what you do with the dogs you breed.

All I do know from past experiences is that those dogs were hell on a rabbit in the field no matter the conditions.

Thanks again for posting Mr. John as you are so valuable to all of us on this site.

I still have some of that old stuff way in the back of some of my old hounds. I think it is what gives a few of them the little bit of grit some get.

Mitch

During the years of Indian Hills Majer being popular Dingus Macrae and Billy Grimshaw were also dogs with some Large Pack breeding which were super producers when bred to some of our CottonTail dogs as we called them back then. Most of my dogs at the time had that breeding in them. Some had all three, plus Blackcreek and Gay breeding. They were true rabbit dogs. Indian Hills Majer and Dingus Macrae were top producing Sires for several years in a row. I owned a male off of FC Adirondack Bobby, also a Large Pack type dog, but I was able to purchase him because he was just a medium speed dog, a 13" dog with a lot of grit. Actually he stuck a stick in one eye and lost site in it, but that didn't phase him.

SORRY FOR HAVING HIGH JACKED THIS POST!!!! BUT SEEING THE GOOD OLD DOGS MENTIONED PUT FIRE IN ME!!!!!! PUT LIFE BACK INTO ME!!!! SURELY BRINGS BACK GREAT MEMORIES!!

THANKS FOR STARTING THIS POST!!!!

I remember Larry Carter bred to FC Adirondack Bobby while they were trialing in New York one year. Apparently Larry saw him run and liked him. Fred Faust had a female named Ellie from that litter. She produced some good hounds when bred later to Majer.

We saw a little bit of FC Northbend Billy Grimshaw’s offspring in the early Midwest trials but most didn’t like it. Dan Mullens had a big male name Windy Ridge Billy (by Grimshaw) that placed some, but tended to be mouthy and would hang up on the line. Grimshaw was produced by breeding hare to brace, so sometimes the bad side came out.

Saw a lot of Dingus stuff. I always thought they were a lot like the Branko hounds that came later. A bit rougher with the line than I liked.

Now Majer, I loved that and probably have as much of it behind my hounds today as anyone. The late John New called Majer a “cull dog”, mostly I think because John chose to keep Majer’s sister, FC New City Pearl, instead of Majer. But I liked Majer’s clean fast running style and his great ability to stamp his puppies to be like him. He had several sons just as good as he was. Good stuff John and Reinmark.

Discussion starter · #25 · (Edited)
Wow I bet they scorched a rabbit and did it right Mr John. That’s some awesome bloodlines
this post couldn't have turned out any better mr. Taylor
During the years of Indian Hills Majer being popular Dingus Macrae and Billy Grimshaw were also dogs with some Large Pack breeding which were super producers when bred to some of our CottonTail dogs as we called them back then. Most of my dogs at the time had that breeding in them. Some had all three, plus Blackcreek and Gay breeding. They were true rabbit dogs. Indian Hills Majer and Dingus Macrae were top producing Sires for several years in a row. I owned a male off of FC Adirondack Bobby, also a Large Pack type dog, but I was able to purchase him because he was just a medium speed dog, a 13" dog with a lot of grit. Actually he stuck a stick in one eye and lost site in it, but that didn't phase him.

SORRY FOR HAVING HIGH JACKED THIS POST!!!! BUT SEEING THE GOOD OLD DOGS MENTIONED PUT FIRE IN ME!!!!!! PUT LIFE BACK INTO ME!!!! SURELY BRINGS BACK GREAT MEMORIES!!

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Your pedigree is a little fuzzy, but it looks like I see Alfreds in there. He was Alfred Deel from near Columbus, OH. He had some good New City and Indian Hills hounds he got out of Kentucky.
I read a really long article on Alfred deal sometime ago but didnt put it together now that I have I'm happy to have his Hounds in her pedigree what I always thought was neat was the show Hound that was bred with the hunting Hound(maijer) to produce a lot of those great hounds, who would have figured it.

Prea

Preach on Mr. Taylor it’s a nice history lesson for a lot of us that never got to see those dogs run. We always love to hear about the dogs from the past that really helped to influence the breed. We see them on our pedigree’s but may not know a lot about them, first hand accounts from the men who actually saw them run is great. Thanks

This pedigree shows FC Indian Hills Majer, FC Adirondack Bobby, FC Dingus Macrae and FC North Bend Billy Grimshaw, Plus, One of the First females to finish as an SPO Field Champion, FC Henrys Gypsy Rose (Owner: Purvis Bertrand, Church Point, La. ) Gypsy Rose was a medium speed female, smooth as silk, A 15" class female, which flowed so smooth on the line, although medium speed just flowed through other quicker dogs making them look like fools. She was also a great producer with a waiting list for her pups. Eventually I was able to buy two females from Purvis. One being J R's Bayou Bank Sugar, who was smooth also, just very easy, to easy to place in SPO. I and many others loved her as a gundog, as she always could carry the line when others struggled, Sugar showed them the way. I eventually gave her to my good friend, Now deceased, Jude Lemelle who would work my dogs a couple times a week for me. I had bred Sugar to my male, Jordan's Adirondack Charlie (son of Adirondack Bobby) which produced Bayou Teche Little Molly. Dudley Auzenne was just starting into Beagles at the time and liked what he saw in Little Molly. He drove to Mr. Sester's to breed her to FC Indian Hills Majer. I was given Campy's Jasper Maser and Campy's Lil Ann Majer out of that litter. Dudley kept the others out of that litter and started developing his kennel off of those dogs breeding them to the Blackcreek and Gay dogs. The reason for the Campy's name is, Dudley had named the whole litter. I had plenty fun gunning and placing Jasper and Lil Ann in the qualifying trials we use to have to place in to qualify for the Association and Federation runnoffs before AKC approved placing in their license trial as a qualifier.

........................CH Confer's Speck Of Dynamite
..................Playfair Cadet
........................Showfield Winkie
............Little Rowdy VI
.........................Famous Amos VII
..................Wells Vickey
........................Doolan's Princess
......FC Indian Hills Majer
........................Bell Mouth Tony
..................Lord Buckingham VI
........................Allmand's Fancy Girl
............New City Crystal
........................Oxcreek Rex
..................New City Tammy
........................Northwood's Blackie
Campy's Jasper Maser (HM26269801) Owner: John Taylor, Leonville, La.
Campy's Lil Ann Majer (HM26269803) Owner: John Taylor
........................FC Line Elm Bimbo
..................FC Adirondack Bobby
.......................FC Adirondack Judy
............Jordan's Adirondack Charlie
........................FC Doylands Little Sport
..................FC Adirondack Vickie
........................FC Adirondack Judy
......Bayou Teche Little Molly (breeder: John Taylor)
........................FC Dingus Macrae
..................Templet's Little Mac
............J R's Bayou Bank Sugar
........................FC North Bend Billy Grimshaw
..................FC Henrys Gypsy Rose
........................Amys Lucky Penny

While I as looking at old pedigrees of good ones with Large pack breeding I came across the second pedigree below. A product of Blackcreek/Dingus, which produced one of the Best males I have owned. I judged him as a Derby and had to have him. He is the first dog I was offered $1,000 for, which was a big chunk of money back then for a Beagle. I refused it. My now deceased wife's answer was, heck I would give them the dog, kennel and a bag of dog food for that amount of money LOL!!!!! Oh, how I miss her.

........................South Fork Jojo
..................Blackcreek Sam VI
........................Blackcreek Polly II
............Mile Branch Sammy
........................Harvard's Moby Dick
..................Mile Branch Sadie
........................Hale's Sudie
......FC J R's T J
........................South Fork Jojo
..................Blackcreek Teddy
........................Blackcreek Polly II
............Sudon's Horny Chop
........................Mac's Shadrack
..................Mac's Shades MT Honey
........................Gentleline Bit-O-Honey
Campy's Toby (HM35959306) Owner: John Taylor, Leonville, La.
.................Math New York Mac Rae
........................Smokey Sue Of Eunice
............Dupre's Newyork
........................FC Blizzard Road Buster
..................Buster's Clarabelle
........................Black Bayou Lady
......Campys Mabeline
........................FC Doylands Cash Cannon
.................FC Blizzard Road Buster
........................Scoobie-Do Korbitt
............Black Gal XXIII
.........................Rascal Lobo
..................Black Bayou Lady
........................Dupre's Pearl

Mr. John thanks for posting. Very nice!

Those are some of the stuff I used to run and hunt with many years ago.

TRanger you need to try a GOOD Skullfork\Blackcreek on them fine hounds you have bro.

One that hunts and can run. I would put one on all my bitches and see which ones I liked best then your in. If your wanting something you ain't seeing you have to do something no one is doing to get it.

Mr. John is showing you they used to do it down here all the time and picked what they liked and ran them in SPO others ran them in other formats where they did well too. Some did well in several formats.

That is where the hunt and the grit comes into some of the old lines from down here. It is no accident. It is bred in on purpose!

John: I wonder if that Henry’s Gypsy Rose came from Ohio? There was an old fellow in the Dayton area named Herbert Henry who was around the early trials. Named his hounds “Henry’s”. There was one called Henry’s Lady VIII who was a terrific running big female, and sounds just like you described Gypsy Rose. Littermates maybe?

John: I wonder if that Henry’s Gypsy Rose came from Ohio? There was an old fellow in the Dayton area named Herbert Henry who was around the early trials. Named his hounds “Henry’s”. There was one called Henry’s Lady VIII who was a terrific running big female, and sounds just like you described Gypsy Rose. Littermates maybe?
Huntsman, she did come from up North, but I am not sure from who or where. I will ask Purvis Bertrand. He was her owner. From what I understand, she didn't have much experience, but Purvis puts a lot of work in his dogs and developed her into a great one. Purvis knows a good one and can recognize the good and bad qualities quickly. He has finished several Field Champions, sold some that became Field Champions. One of the most recent ones that he didn't breed, but owned and developed into a great one is FCGD Randomshot's Driving Pee Wee, owned by Mike Ray from Alabama now. Another that most probably have heard of is, FCGD Amite River E-Z-Go, Bred by Purvis Bertrand. E-Z-Go was sold as a pup, J E Childers worked him into a super Hound, that also produced great ones with some still finishing off of him although he has been deceased for a couple years now. I own Swampland Little Diamond, a full littermate sister to him. She is a super hound herself, although being 9 years old, she still puts on a show. I only ran her in 4 license trials with her placing in 3, measured out in winners pack in last one. She was ready and probably in the best shape she had ever been in since I owned her.

I recognize Mr Bertrand’s name from way back. I don’t know much about the current Deep South hounds. People all over the country used to advertise studs and sent trial reports to the magazines, but not so much today.

I recognize Mr Bertrand’s name from way back. I don’t know much about the current Deep South hounds. People all over the country used to advertise studs and sent trial reports to the magazines, but not so much today.

Huntsman, I have been sending Acadiana Beagle Clubs trial results with pictures in for the past 15 or more years. Our Field Trials are advertised in Hounds and Hunting, but in the recent years we host two SPO License Trials, Two TCP Hunt Test License Trials and One derby trial a year. I have sent in the results of each trial, but in the last two years only the results of one of our trials has been posted. I am disappointed, as we do advertise with them and an organization that had been posting Monthly adds with them each month had several of its members, also members of Acadiana Beagle Club. That organization which has over 600 members. Looks like use Southern Boys and Organizations are being forgotten. I rarely like to complain, but when a Beagler, especially a new Beagler is looking forward to seeing he and his fine hounds picture and results in the Magazine in which will definitely become a keepsake for them, but get disappointed when it never happens. I do know they have received the results as I got emails of acknowledgement.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.