Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
I tried making some traps for them. They catch some, but not nearly enough. I have a good time at it every afternoon going at them with a badminton racket.
Get you a red rider BB gun I killed 9 one evening shooting them off my porch in a clover patch.They will hover for a second that鈥檚 when you get Them.

Registered
I took a 4X4, Cut about 10 inches long, Drilled a big hole in the middle going up about 6 or 7 inches deep. Then tool a half inch drill bit and made a hole at an angle going up on all 4 sides. I then took a Gator Aid bottle or similar bottle cut the top part off to use like a funnel. Stapled it to the bottom with opening facing down. This will keep the bore bees from coming out once the get in. Then you take another bottle and cut the bottom out leaving the part holding the cap on and attach that part to the bottom of the 4X4 also. This traps the bore bees. The other part serves as a funnel and once they come in cannot get back in the hole in the wood to get out. The last part hold them in. Once one gets in it will stay alive for a couple days. The more that get in the more attention they will attract. Works, but doesn't get rid of the problem fully.

If you go on Amazon you can find similar to my plan, but they are using glass jars. I added the funnel part inside, as they part will keep them from flying back into the big hole in the wood and maybe getting out. I staple the plastic Gator Aid, or Power Aid bottles on to the 4X4.

Registered
My wife bought one and we made some more. It consist of a 4"X4" block of wood with a jar lid screwed to the bottom of it. A hole is drilled into the side 2", then another hole up from the bottom is drilled to meet the side hole making an L shape going from the side, down and through the jar lid. You screw the jar on and hang the block of wood up around the area your seeing them working. They will instinctively go in the drilled hole, down into the jar and for some reason, they can't seem to get back out. My wife has caught loads of them with these traps. Best of luck being a bee keeper!...lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a honey bee tree in my front yard.Two large swarms came out of that tree this spring.A beekeeper i met came got em both.They swarm and light down in a tree somewhere and ball up and search bees look for a new home and come get them.I learned alot about bees talking to him.He got lucky and they lit low in the tree where he could get them. Both swarms balled up in the same place.He said the 2nd swarm smelled the first one on the limb is why they settled there too.They were about a week apart.
Plant Branch Natural landscape Trunk Wood
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Terrestrial animal Grass
Plant Carnivore Felidae Terrestrial plant Tree
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior
Plant Grass Wood Adaptation Groundcover
Surprisingly to me they were calm and not attacking you like youd think.He set a hive on the ground on a sheet and cut the limb that they were on and set them down to it and they went into the hives and he carried them home.

Registered
I have a honey bee tree in my front yard.Two large swarms came out of that tree this spring.A beekeeper i met came got em both.They swarm and light down in a tree somewhere and ball up and search bees look for a new home and come get them.I learned alot about bees talking to him.He got lucky and they lit low in the tree where he could get them. Both swarms balled up in the same place.He said the 2nd swarm smelled the first one on the limb is why they settled there too.They were about a week apart. View attachment 61122 View attachment 61123 View attachment 61124 View attachment 61125 View attachment 61126 Surprisingly to me they were calm and not attacking you like youd think.He set a hive on the ground on a sheet and cut the limb that they were on and set them down to it and they went into the hives and he carried them home.
Wow that鈥檚 amazing. What kinda tree is it ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow that鈥檚 amazing. What kinda tree is it ?
Mulberry tree.Idont want them there .I cat get any honey and my dogs get in em.Its against the law to kill honeybees in Tn.I dont want to kill them but id like them gone.Honey bees are dying out .I read you can sprinkle cinnamon around there tree and theyll leave.Sounds too easy.Ill probably let em be.The bee man said they might leave on their own.He tried to trap them but was unsuccessful.Must be a healthy colony of bees.

Registered
Mulberry tree.Idont want them there .I cat get any honey and my dogs get in em.Its against the law to kill honeybees in Tn.I dont want to kill them but id like them gone.Honey bees are dying out .I read you can sprinkle cinnamon around there tree and theyll leave.Sounds too easy.Ill probably let em be.The bee man said they might leave on their own.He tried to trap them but was unsuccessful.Must be a healthy colony of bees.
For sure I ain鈥檛 even seen bees like that anywhere. But agreed on dogs getting in em. Good to know about killing em鈥 just moved to TN from western NC

Registered
I have a honey bee tree in my front yard.Two large swarms came out of that tree this spring.A beekeeper i met came got em both.They swarm and light down in a tree somewhere and ball up and search bees look for a new home and come get them.I learned alot about bees talking to him.He got lucky and they lit low in the tree where he could get them. Both swarms balled up in the same place.He said the 2nd swarm smelled the first one on the limb is why they settled there too.They were about a week apart. View attachment 61122 View attachment 61123 View attachment 61124 View attachment 61125 View attachment 61126 Surprisingly to me they were calm and not attacking you like youd think.He set a hive on the ground on a sheet and cut the limb that they were on and set them down to it and they went into the hives and he carried them home.

The last couple of years I've thought about getting into having a hive or 2 then build from there if I like it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts