Rabbit Dogs banner

How much is too much.

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  OldManJim 
#1 ·
Recently, probably the last 3 months. Every time I run my gyp her tail bleeds so much that it gets everywhere. Even on the other dogs. She is 3 years old. Never been a problem before. Should I dock the last 1/2inch of her tail? Would that help?

#22 ·
Bk nothing really to it pretty simple and don’t worry about age I’ve done puppies to older dogs no problem. we’ve always farmed so i have the calf banding tool already but you don’t have to buy the tool and the bands are cheap you can take a empty shotgun shell hull cut the metal head off it leaving just a plastic tube stretch a band over the hull with your fingers then run the tail through the shot gun hull where you want it and slide the castration band off the tail that way. You can feel the joints in the tail you can try to put the band between the joints and it will come off alittle quicker and cleaner but you it will work even if it’s on a tail bone so don’t worry about that. Find where you want to place and pull the skin hair back towards the dog and put the band where you want it. Stretching the skin back gives alittle extra skin to cover the tip and heal maybe alittle quicker and cleaner when it does fall off. I’ve banded them two to three inches from the end of tail and banded them real close to top of the tail like black creek beagles, bird dog, boxer, most terriers Australian Shepherd style I like how they both ways it’s just whatever you prefer. Hope I made it sound as easy at is. If you have any questions just call me and I can explain it better. 865-352-0069.
Wood Bicycle part Tool Office supplies Hardwood
Here’s the tool for the green bands but agin not needed

#24 ·
Folks, I have no experience with this so my thoughts may well be worthless.When I took care of race horses we would sometimes use a type of light weight self adhesive leg bandage for race track use that has a little stretch to it and it has a crepe paper texture to it.I don't remember what it is called.If I ever have this problem I will try that first.Like I said I have no experience with this so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.