Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many rabbits for a half acre traing pen?? its getting pretty thick.. alot of pallots and tree limbs for brush piles... any ideas on improving a training pen?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If u stocking for the first time I'd 4-5 to be sure I have a breeding pair. When you feel u have too many catch a few and bring them to someone in need of rabbits in thier pen. You never know when you may need someone elses rabbits. It's hard to say how many rabbits you'll need to keep to start dogs. It'll depend on conditions of pen and environment. Rabbits will kill each other due to overpopulation. Simple rule is if you jump rabbits easily so will the dogs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well im buying thirty from a guy next weekend.. twenty five of them are 4 weeks old. and then buying two bucks and 4 does(are bred).. He told me the the younger that u put them in there the better they will run.. Im just gunna put a 6 or so in there and then have the others incase i guess. im guna start selling them to when the olders does have there little ones. i think there called smokin mountain grays i believe... any one every heard of them..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I got two acres enclosed. Well two acres with holes. I figure I got 30 rabbits or so on the 13 arces with the majority being in the two arces. I tell ya if I cut more than 3 dogs loose in there I have rabbits ganging up on the dogs. I only use wild rabbits. I stocked one time 7or 8 years ago and i've been fortunate to keep a healthy population.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i knew

that twenty five would be way too many.. But i have a big thicket right next to our house that i can turn some looke into the wild and have that thicket for running my pups.. i wish i owned it.. be a perfect running pen if fenced in. 5 acres.. Briar thicket running down the middle of it and small trees all threw it..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts