How many dogs you lost at one time?

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by plumber, Feb 5, 2010.

1. plumber

plumber Active Member

Anybody loose dogs while running? If so how many, and did you find them later, or did they come home? I had two slip my pen this morning, and they are still gone. Hope they come back.:banghead:

That and Circle4p like this.
  2. plumber

plumber Active Member

Wrong spot, its getting late.

Circle4p likes this.

3. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

No problem, I moved it for you.

Ive lost whole packs before and more than once when theyve taken off on a deer or whatever.

So far (knock on wood) Ive always been able to eventually get em back. I have gone so far as to leave my huntin' coat laying where the truck was parked and gone back the next day and found one laying on my coat.

I have some woods next to my house and most of the time if they get out of the pen Ill either hear em in the woods running or theyll just be out in the yard.

Two weeks ago we were running in a pretty popular game and fish area thats not too far from where I live. The dogs were running a swamp rabbit (or at least they were when they left cause I saw it) but after 20 or 30 minutes they still hadnt made it back so I started calling and toning em to come in.

All of em did but one. A little while later my phone rang and it was a lady that had been driving down the road in the wma and had found my dog and called the number on the collar. :whew:

I started putting my name and mine and my wife's cell phone number on em and it sure paid off that time. There are still some good, honest people left in this world. :wink:

4. plumber

plumber Active Member

As of today, I still have not heard anything. I just hope I get my hands back on them. The good news is they are not laying on the side of the road, so there is still hope. I thought for sure they would find their way back home, since they got out here at the house. They were running a rabbit, and I should have gotten them, but I thought it would be ok since it was right here at the house. Went back to check on them 45mins. later, and no dogs. :banghead:

AJ Johnson and Circle4p like this.
  5. I have lost my dogs while hunting I have let them go at my house before and never see some them again I couldn't even count the dogs I have lost over the years hunting I hope you fine your dogs plumber

AJ Johnson and Circle4p like this.
  6. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

I lost 2 one time. They were gone about 5 days when one got run over crossing the highway running a deer. It dont bother me that the dog got run over, but he died thinking the deer got the best of him.

AJ Johnson, Greenhaw and Circle4p like this.
  7. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

lost 2 champs one time at a field trail never did find them

Circle4p likes this.
  8. Lost my whole pack last year on a bobcat. Was hunting about three miles from the house, so after waiting about two hours,, I just went home. Thought that maybe they would just come here. At dark I drove back down there and found all of them lying around my coat.

Silva Jake, Csb and Circle4p like this.
  9. RKW

RKW Active Member

I've lost all of them before but have been able to get them back so far.

Roger

Circle4p likes this.
  10. BRamsey

BRamsey Moderator

I lost three last year close to the house. One of them made it home 2 days later. The other two showed up on "Luthers Community Calender" on news channel 12, 9 days later.They were only about a mile from home.

Circle4p likes this.
  11. john c

john c New Member

Lost 2 back in the early 90s. I got them both back almost a week later. Ive invested in tracking equiptment since and glad i have it. It sure is peace of mind having it on them. Its expensive to purchase but i have used it a number of times to locate dogs if its windy or they are a bit further from me than i can hear.

Circle4p likes this.
  12. Crofford

Crofford New Member

Lost one two years ago she chased a swamp rabbit into some flood water,got her collar hung on some brush and drown before I could get to her.

Circle4p likes this.
  13. plumber

plumber Active Member

Just got one gyp back 5 mins ago. The other one is still out there hopefully. She has not been hit on the highway yet, just hope she gets by the coyotes. That is my biggest fear.

FDA Kennels and Circle4p like this.
  14. plumber

plumber Active Member

Got em all back!!!!:clap:picked up the other one just now. Man am I happy!!!!!:clap::whistle:

FDA Kennels, Gotbeagles, Dogs and 8 others like this.
  15. BRamsey

BRamsey Moderator

Good Im glad you got em all back.

Circle4p likes this.
  16. Glad you got them both back

Circle4p likes this.
  17. hey plumber, glad to hear ya got em all back. I had two take off on a deer saturday myself. got em both back same day right b4 dark. it sure is a low feeling though.

Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  18. john c

john c New Member

Glad to hear ya got em all back plummer.:D

Circle4p likes this.
  19. dbounds

dbounds Active Member

I've lost three at a time twice. The first time was years ago running in the spring and a storm came up got seperated from the dogs and could'nt find them. The second time they left on trash and I got two back the next day and the last one back three days later. Both times all of them came back to the coat I left out for them!

DSA likes this.
  20. Big AL

Big AL New Member

If someone else haven't pick them up they should come back I had a puppy stayed gone a week and came back home

AJ Johnson, JOHN MAYNARD and Circle4p like this.