Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody loose dogs while running? If so how many, and did you find them later, or did they come home? I had two slip my pen this morning, and they are still gone. Hope they come back.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
No problem, I moved it for you.

Ive lost whole packs before and more than once when theyve taken off on a deer or whatever.

So far (knock on wood) Ive always been able to eventually get em back. I have gone so far as to leave my huntin' coat laying where the truck was parked and gone back the next day and found one laying on my coat.

I have some woods next to my house and most of the time if they get out of the pen Ill either hear em in the woods running or theyll just be out in the yard.

Two weeks ago we were running in a pretty popular game and fish area thats not too far from where I live. The dogs were running a swamp rabbit (or at least they were when they left cause I saw it) but after 20 or 30 minutes they still hadnt made it back so I started calling and toning em to come in.

All of em did but one. A little while later my phone rang and it was a lady that had been driving down the road in the wma and had found my dog and called the number on the collar. :whew:

I started putting my name and mine and my wife's cell phone number on em and it sure paid off that time. There are still some good, honest people left in this world. :wink:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As of today, I still have not heard anything. I just hope I get my hands back on them. The good news is they are not laying on the side of the road, so there is still hope. I thought for sure they would find their way back home, since they got out here at the house. They were running a rabbit, and I should have gotten them, but I thought it would be ok since it was right here at the house. Went back to check on them 45mins. later, and no dogs. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Lost my whole pack last year on a bobcat. Was hunting about three miles from the house, so after waiting about two hours,, I just went home. Thought that maybe they would just come here. At dark I drove back down there and found all of them lying around my coat.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I lost three last year close to the house. One of them made it home 2 days later. The other two showed up on "Luthers Community Calender" on news channel 12, 9 days later.They were only about a mile from home.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lost 2 back in the early 90s. I got them both back almost a week later. Ive invested in tracking equiptment since and glad i have it. It sure is peace of mind having it on them. Its expensive to purchase but i have used it a number of times to locate dogs if its windy or they are a bit further from me than i can hear.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got one gyp back 5 mins ago. The other one is still out there hopefully. She has not been hit on the highway yet, just hope she gets by the coyotes. That is my biggest fear.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I've lost three at a time twice. The first time was years ago running in the spring and a storm came up got seperated from the dogs and could'nt find them. The second time they left on trash and I got two back the next day and the last one back three days later. Both times all of them came back to the coat I left out for them!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts