How important is the bloodline/pedigree to you?

Discussion in 'Breeding, Bloodlines, and Pedigrees' started by FB, Feb 5, 2010.

1. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

I used to just want a dog that would run but here in the last year or two Ive changed a little bit and want a dog that will run but that also has certain dogs in his pedigree..

I think part of it is because I have enough dogs to go rabbit huntin' with now and part of it is because Im trying to do my own version of linebreeding and I need dogs bred a certain way for my "experiment".

So what do yall think about it?

2. plumber

plumber Active Member

I guess I love the history behind a dogs ped. Kinda like you own a piece of every hound that is behind yours. I no a ped. does not run a rabbit, but at least you no what made the dog if he is a good one, and so on. Just like you said makes for a solid breeding program if you no where you are going. :thumb:

3. MackC

MackC Moderator

I like to buy Reg. dogs and have a pedigree of my dogs because when you buy a dog you are buying into that family. It helps you to know what to expect from the offspring. Same as with my kids, I want to know their girlfriend or boyfriend's family and their charactereistics.

4. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

I think a pedigree helps if you know the names of alot of dogs and their style of running. So if you see these dogs in a pedigree it will give you an idea of at least what style of dog to expect if you haven't already tried the dog out.

5. Hippy

Hippy Well-Known Member

Western Md
    Pedigrees

"Paper Dogs" are nice BUT they were all GRADE dogs at one time. THINK ABOUT IT !!!:smack:

We all have seen good and bad in all registered and grade dogs the main thing is feed what you like.

Jim

6. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

They were all wolves at one time too, and we were all apes, The papers have been around for over 100 years, I think we have breed the grade dog out of them by now. I would rather know what I am getting. JMO