Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far back in a pedigree does a dog have to be before people quite calling their bloodline after that dog ?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
That is a good question....I think it is up to the person to say if it is a grand pup or great grand pup etc.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That is a good question and I know it depends on whom you ask. Some people tell you their dog is of such or such bloodline 7to8 generations later. The bloodline has gotten pretty thin to me by that time. ( unless you have been line breeding or selective breeding). Some people call their dogs a bloodline because of what color they are and just because they are this color or that color they are whatever . I think alot depends on what is a popular line at the time. To me if you go down several generations it depends on the last couple of generations.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
It can go WAY back you just have to read the pedigree and know what your looking at (not that I do).

Stubby has been gone for a long time but you can buy dogs that are "Stubby bred" all day long. Like Ken said though in most cases its so watered down that you can find dogs that run the gamut on styles and still be considered Stubby.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm on my 4th generation down from PennyRoyal Patch Casey. He runs back to the old patch kennel. 3 sons bred to patch bitches, then 3 of those sons bred to 1st cousins, and now I'm breeding these offspring together. Bone and mouth is the first to go it seems when you don't bring in other branches. Thanks to some other good folks I got the graft to keep the fruit strong.:wink:
The way I describe mine is, patch blood, linebred off PennyRoyal Patch Casey, as he's the fountainhead (direct line) my breeding traces back. When linebreeding, most every hound in the pedigree will trace back to the hound your line breeding from(thus the term "linebred").

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Patch linebreeding interest me a lot. What does bone and mouth is the first to go mean ? Also what other things can happen if dogs are linebred ?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Patch linebreeding interest me a lot. What does bone and mouth is the first to go mean ? Also what other things can happen if dogs are linebred ?
What I got was finer boned pups, this was headed to what the old expression of "weedy" used to mean (very light boned).

The mouth got soft or muffled, they seemed to loose voice.

The closer you breed, the more strict your standard must me in all things pertaining to the hounds you select and breed from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts