Rabbit Dogs banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
768 Posts
Well I have been a member since August 1974. I have defended Kaylynn a lot of times here on this site so that she could get things up and running. However, I now believe H&H is a dying horse.
Ive seen all the excuses also and see how many come to the defense but nothing changes. I guess I don’t have a dog in the fight because I quit taking the magazine but my clubs do advertise and the add for the trials get seen late.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
H&H has survived two World Wars, a Great Depression, the beagle boom of the 50s, the decline caused by the brace trial fad of the 60s and 70s, and the return of the hunting beagle in the 80s. I believe Kaylynn is the 5th owner (counting the Slike family as one). With such a history, it's too bad to see it go down during the Social Media Age. I believe there is still room for print magazines (she has no real competition there), but it takes hard work, attention to detail, customer service, and writing talent - all of which seems sadly to be lacking.

·
Super Moderator
1,980 Posts
H&H has survived two World Wars, a Great Depression, the beagle boom of the 50s, the decline caused by the brace trial fad of the 60s and 70s, and the return of the hunting beagle in the 80s. I believe Kaylynn is the 5th owner (counting the Slike family as one). With such a history, it's too bad to see it go down during the Social Media Age. I believe there is still room for print magazines (she has no real competition there), but it takes hard work, attention to detail, customer service, and writing talent - all of which seems sadly to be lacking.
The electronic age and social media outlets have really hurt the printed magazine industry. Advertisers get more responses from social media outlets than printed magazines. And most advertising on social media is free. Many old timers like myself would still rather have the printed magazines. Times are changing for sure, we must adapt or get left behind. The magazines that are successful have worked harder and smarter and found a way to still be in demand. It's sad to see the decline of such a storied magazine. Kaylynne is a young single mom with no financial backers so she is definitely up against it.
p.s. Since I subscribed to the electronic version I've had no issues.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,921 Posts
QUESTION??? they need writers for the magazine-----HOW MANY OF YOU COMPLAINERS HAVE SUBMITTED AN ARTICLE FOR PRINT??
PROFIT~~ do you really think the lady is making a lot of money? REALLY!!!!!! I know for a fact she is working two other jobs as she is trying valiantly to keep the magazine going AND has done a good job----WITH some rough spots
DID YOU KNOW SHE IS A SINGLE PARENT???????? And handling it like a champ
I admire the lady's grit and determination----i will continue to support her come hell or hi water----NEVER put down a person that is trying------it is a flaw in the character to do so

GOOD NEWS !!! I just sent an email to H&H and asked for a job in customer service !!!-----if i get it i will be in charge of all complaints !!! I am absolutely positive i can help people get their GROOVE on in that capacity;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Briefly Spoke with Kaylynn at the nationals. She is a very likable young gal . She seems to be emphasizing the online version as the best option. In this day and age , online version is popular with much of the younger crowd. Most people are scrolling through dog web sites on their smart phone any way. As I’m viewing online , there is a portal that indicates how many are currently viewing that issue. The times I have noticed , its always been several hundred , and up to 600 ish. Takes much of the delay variables , out of the equation. I typically get my online version , couple weeks ahead of the printed one. I get both at this time. I would suggest trying to contact them on their Facebook page. We have allowed more time to submit our trial ads , etc , rather than waiting for the last minute. Little extra planning at the club = a timely printing as desired. I understand there are issues at H&H, but trying to close that gap on our end helps tremendously.

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUESTION??? they need writers for the magazine-----HOW MANY OF YOU COMPLAINERS HAVE SUBMITTED AN ARTICLE FOR PRINT??
PROFIT~~ do you really think the lady is making a lot of money? REALLY!!!!!! I know for a fact she is working two other jobs as she is trying valiantly to keep the magazine going AND has done a good job----WITH some rough spots
I admire the lady's grit and determination----i will continue to support her come hell or hi water----NEVER put down a person that is trying------it is a flaw in the character to do so

GOOD NEWS !!! I just sent an email to H&H and asked for a job in customer service !!!-----if i get it i will be in charge of all complaints !!! I am absolutely positive i can help people get their GROOVE on in that capacity;)
Just so you will know

Just so you know I was not complaining but adding my opinion to try and help I would like to see if a different format would help as I did enjoy the magazine before P,S, I am not a writer

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I want a physical magazine!
I fear the day of the magazine, news paper and soon books is over.
sad.
x2 ,I fear a'lot of things are over Spini ...I'm not ready for it either ,I dont even have a dam dog anymore because of ''CHANGE'' .........never thought I'd see the day I didnt own a running hound of some type ...but it happened here for me ,still sick over it

·
Super Moderator
3,449 Posts

When I hear single parent, I hear bad decision making. I know this story and it is just that.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
At last years hunt and on other occasions I have ordered a subscription for any kid that wanted one and got them signed up. My only concern is that they are getting what I paid for. I guess most of these kids are so far ahead of me on technology that they go on line to read it. My question - do they have access to the pictures, the ads, and other parts that we see in the magazine. Reading it on line is not ownership. I collect the magazines and often go back to look up a pedigree or look for dogs that are consistently placing in trials. I doubt that you can get that on line. I would hate to see the magazine go under or worse yet go totally on line. If it did then I would be left out of something I have supported for nearly 40 years.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts