Hot and Humid

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Aubbietiger, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Aubbietiger

Aubbietiger Well-Known Member

Today at 1530 I decided to run my 5 hounds to see if they could handle the tracks in this Alabama Hot and thick humidity. Well after 3 hours of hunting and 2 or more hours of sucking up tracks in heavy thick cover I have decided that these hounds will stay with me for a long time. By the end of the hunt I was soaked not a dry thread and I can’t image what my hounds were thinking but they keep the heat on 2 rabbits. Thank the good Lord there was a small amount of water where I was running. If you want to know how good your pack it just drop that tailgate on a hot and humid day in Alabama and you will then know what to keep and what to cull. Before you do that make sure you drop the tailgate where you know there is water. Today there was no quit and they averaged 3.6 on my Garmin 100 in heavy thick coverage no culls today all keepers. Keep the pressure on.

2. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Blake that’s awesome!! I wanted to run this morning but it was soupy hot at 6am. My dogs would probably do fine but I’m to soft I guess. Hoping for a cool morning soon or my dogs are going to start posting looking for a new home. I already get that look when I go to feed.

3. Aubbietiger

Lol. I try to run mine 2 time a week in the summer. Sometimes I get the looks that says Really Today come on Man.

4. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Aubbietiger-I am glad you had some good running, I make it a point to bring a big dog dish and water when running in that heat humidity. You never know when you might need water to pour on your dog to cool them down so they don’t get heat stroke. Where your dogs noses are running is even hotter then the air temperature. JMO

5. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Well-Known Member

Well Aubie I see you are still on military time.

6. Addi

Addi Well-Known Member

Same. I might turn them loose and sit inside and watch.
    Yesterday morning wasn't bad. I took out some nine month old pups that I was getting skeptical would ever suit me. My running buddy was there and we turned loose. Two Pups did so well I'll have to reconsider. One, I'm afraid is in need of a new home. He has the breeding and the talent, but not the desire.

Hmmm?? He might make my grand daughter a birthday present. July 2nd!
    Hers was ran over a few months back. This one would be safe, he wouldn't get off the porch.

7. Aubbietiger

Yep I never can understand that am Pm stuff anymore military time is burned into my brain I guess and it’s so much easier for me.
    True story anytime someone tells me 5 am or pm I have to ask the wife is that morning or evening. To this day she still laughs at me.

That, Circle4p, Red dog 007 and 3 others like this.
  8. Robert L. Dunn

05:00AM - 17:00PM I remember how we were drilled to learn. I joined at 17 years old so everything was new to me but I appreciate every day I spent in the Navy. I have used a lot of my training and discipline in civilian life.

That, Circle4p and TJRANGER like this.
  9. Darrell Cummings

Darrell Cummings Member

Mr.Dunn what was your job in the Navy? I was a machinist mate on the USS BUCHANAN. We went to the Persian Gulf in 87 and 89..Your exacting right on appreciating what you learned in The Navy! Would not trade it for anything. I wish I pulled 4 years on the East Coast so I could have seen Europe

Robster, That and Circle4p like this.
  10. Aubbietiger

Thanks for your service I to was a Navy man myself 81 to 87. Was aboard the USS Daniel Boone a fine Boomer class Sub.

11. Robert L. Dunn

Joined the Navy December 30, 1958 and stayed until September 15, 1966. Served in Vietnam in 1965 and 1966. My last duty station was aboard the USS Jason, AR 8 in San Diego. I was dumber than a rock when I joined. I went to Atsugi Naval Air Station in 1960 and was assigned to the base legal office. I worked for a Navy Chief Petty Officer whose name was Norman G. Scott. He made me practice typing every day and then made me read the Uniform Code of Military Justice over and over until I knew it well. I learned how to be a Court Reporter and did many administrative duties such as typing Powers of Attorney, Last Wills and Testaments and other legal documents. When he got transferred I took over the office as a third class petty officer with one sailor and three Japanese Nationals under my supervision. Later in my career I attended the Naval Justice School and worked in the legal field for the rest of my career.

Norman G. Scott was like a daddy to me and made me walk the line. He converted me from drinking whiskey and coke to whiskey and water and when I showed up to work with a hangover he would chew my butt out and tell me all I needed to drink was beer. I became a qualified court reporter and worked the basic field of the Naval Justice system to the supervisory process of oversite for the Amphibious Fleet in the Pacific. In this capacity I was involved in reviewing Courts Martials for Amphibious Ships to make sure that the Code was followed correctly. The military will make a man out of a dumb country boy.

I would love to hear from some of you former Military personnel about your careers. Our freedoms as American citizens have been fought for and kept because of our Vets. Don't be shy about your service. Speak up and maybe it will be seen and heard by those who take our freedom for granted and want to destroy our Statues and Monuments that are simply pieces of history that got us from indentured slaves to free speaking Americans.

12. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    My career in the military (US Marine Corps). My original MOS was a gunner on chopper in Aviation Ordnance. We blew crap up basically!! Never saw combat as our orders for Nam were recended while home on leave right before being deployed. My new duty station was 3rd Aircraft Wing ElToro Ca. Where I retrained in Aviation Ord.( we loaded bombs, rockets, guns, on mainly F4 aircraft). I spend a few months their and then traveled quite a bit to various locations on temporary duty assignments. I moved up the ladder fairly fast and became the NCO in charge ( Non Commissioned Officer) Safety officer on the flight line. It was my job to supervise crews and inspect and sign off arming and disarming of munitions on aircraft and run simulation test on armament systems. I was fortunate enough to fly in backseat of F4’s and conduct system checks on aircraft during combat maneuvers. I enjoyed my job. I also served on Bomb squad for our base in Yuma Az. We trained on defusing live ordinance that didn’t explode on bombing range and trained on deactivating triggers on land mines and other types of explosives. When my son was born in 1978 they wanted to send me overseas as part of my re-up tour so I just got out instead of re-upping so I could be there for my family and went to college at night and built houses during the day. I have no regrets and would serve my Country again if and when needed. God Bless America

13. DugK

DugK Member

My uncle was a two tour Vietnam war veteran. He gave me some advice when I was about out of high school. He said “If you join the military, plan on two enlistments. On the first do something that sounds fun, go places. Second enlightenment, get educated, pick a career path and have them pay for it.
    So, I joined the Marine Corps. First enlistment, I was a radio operator. Second, I was a Communication Security Electronics Technician. I fixed broke crypto gear and radios.
    I did my time and got out, using my uncle’s advice really planned out for me.

14. That

That Well-Known Member

I just want to say thank you to all of y'all that served & helped keep this GREAT country free. So we can celebrate our Independence on the 4th of July.

15. Aubbietiger

Like I have said before I enlisted in the navy in 1981 in advance electronics field. FTG( fire control tech gunner) went to boot camp in Orlando Had First class Nolan as our drill sergeant know as black death. didn’t know it when I enlisted but I signed up for submarine service. Did my BEE schooling in Orlando and then headed to Groton Connecticut for sub school and advance electronics training. Met Master Chief Coons he had more gold strips than I could count and was hell on wheels. Graduated 2 in my class and choose Charleston SC as my home port. Spend 2 years on a sub tender and then got assigned to the USS Daniel Boone(SSBN-629). The hardest thing I have done is to qualify submarines and earn my Dolphins. Took a week shy of one year to perform that task. My advance electronics training along with 6 years of navy has paid dividends for me. Left the navy in 87 and started my career in TVA nuclear power as apprentice Instrument & Controls tech. Moved to foreman and the took over as the shop manager my last 3 years at TVA was split between assistant maintenance manager and maintenance manager. I was glad to do my part as a greenhorn to serve this country and dang proud to fly the red white and blue. I was the lucky one that sacrificed but did not pay the ultimate sacrifice those are the hero’s and the reason to this day and until I leave this earth I will fly the red white and blue at my house that’s the least I can do. Until one has served it’s sometimes hard to understand what it took to make the country we live in priceless. God Bless All that Gave All. Dive Dive take us to periscope depth.

16. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

My son just re enlisted for 20 months yesterday,deployed to Norfolk for 13 months they say .He started as a engineman,then they did away with that rate and he was a machinest rate. HE WAS DEPLOYED twice durying his active duty and came back and was in the reserves with his brother. It is my understanding he will have another rate because he will be trained to be a welder in the ship yard.I told him to get certified. when he was in the reserves he was a gunnersmate. I may not have all this terminology correct but you Navy boys understand. And there is a little kicker to this story if any one is interested.

17. Joined the NAVY at 21...Wanted to do 4 years get my GI bill get out and go back to school, well 20 years later I retired...started teaching and coached high school basketball, so I guess I did go back to school...started boot camp in San Diego, also RM “A” and “C” school...sent me to Norfolk, Va to the USS Harlan County LST 1196 sent the next 20 years on the East coast...Sugar Grove, WV; London England; USNS Bobo; USNS Comfort; IT “A” School Instructor; Patuxent River, Md; USNS Zeus; USS Elrod FFG-55; Naval Intelligence Command...my father was a bricklayer, so I knew early that’s not the work I wanted to do...the Navy was the best decision I made, if only I would have done it out of high school...but all in all life is good...short story on how life work...same girl I was dating in 1987, I went around the world retired in 2007...came home and married in 2015...

18. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

Congrats cornel,shows true love never dies !

19. Spanky86

Spanky86 Well-Known Member

I too want to say Thank You to all that have served and still are!!! I have never served myself. I was the opposite of cornel and became a bricklayer even after getting a college degree. BUT anyway there is much respect coming from me and I will always support our men and women in uniform

20. Darrell Cummings

Darrell Cummings Member

Mr.Dunn you had quite the experience! Thanks for sharing