Heat/Humidity/beagles

Discussion in 'Beagle Health' started by TJRANGER, Jun 30, 2020.

1. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    With Summer kicking in high gear (106 heat index here today and no let up in sight), What do some of you guys do to help keep dogs cool?
    I freeze 16oz soda bottles and put in there water bowls each day and also run a big shop fan to keep air moving.

2. MackC

MackC Moderator

When it gets real hot I put box fans attached to the kennels. Sometimes I put frozen gallon jugs of water behind or in front of the fan also. I go home at lunch and do it and again when I get home from work. But nothin beats a good shade tree.

3. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Got mine under a big sweetgum and keep plenty of water

4. smitchell

smitchell Well-Known Member

Shade tree, fresh water in the morning and evening.

5. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    Fresh water is key to keeping them cool I believe and they will drink more if it’s cool water from my experience

6. duke1

duke1 Well-Known Member

I believe shade is key also! Got my kennel under a mature cypress tree. Probably 20 degrees cooler under it without a breeze

7. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Well-Known Member

Well guys I hadn’t brought it up yet but I was gonna at next meeting. Hopefully JDW goes along W it. Regarding kennels and the run grounds. We should consider putting a dome over the running grounds and building kennels alike. . It’ll be like a climate controlled arena complete w cozy bleachers. We could have the lights on timers so the brush doesn’t grow too fast.
    I think it’s a good idea. What ya all think??
    Catwalks crossing the grounds would be great for judging too. Good idea yea??
    When did TJ get a promotion??? He just snuck it up on us!!

8. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    Bowguy your a hoot!! And not sure it’s a promotion but will see. Since you brought it up!!!!The way I look at things is two-fold
    1) your either a leader or a follower- and felt it was time to either step up or step back. I’m not a quitter so that answered that.
    2)either you are part of the solution or part of the problem - I choose being part of the solution.
    I would encourage all of OUR great membership to read the rules and regulations that Admin recently posted in upper portion of Tailgate Forum.
    We are Family of Beaglers here and respect is what we are about. Let’s be a model example!!

9. That

That Well-Known Member

Mine are under shade trees & the ones that get a little more sun I have tarps over for more shade.

10. Mine are also in shade all day, plus fresh water daily.

That, davemcc, Circle4p and 5 others like this.
  11. mitch huguet

mitch huguet Well-Known Member

I always make sure I keep plenty of fresh briars on all my dogs in the real hot weather.

So

Just is case there is a weak one hiding in the bunch I can know exactly which one it is so I can sell them to a Field Trailer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  12. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    Mitch We can always count on you to share the bull!!! Lol

13. Aubbietiger

Aubbietiger Well-Known Member

I have mine under shade trees all day, and fresh water daily. If that’s not getting it done I have the wife out there with a church pew fan, fanning them on a regular time clock. If I want her to know that I’ll tell her.

That, Circle4p, wad and 8 others like this.
  14. Culverbeagles

Culverbeagles Well-Known Member

Il
    Put a roof over my pens last fall. Fresh water 3 times a day and got a fan to put on em if it gets much worse. Tried the frozen water bottle but one gyp would take it out of the water bowl and put it in her house and try eating it

That, Aubbietiger, Circle4p and 4 others like this.
  15. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    Mine are under shade, fresh water daily, and I put chunks of ice into their water buckets. Freeze 1/2 gal. milk jugs, break it up put in bucket. They will play and get pieces of ice to chew on.

That, Aubbietiger, Circle4p and 3 others like this.
  16. Red dog 007

Red dog 007 Well-Known Member

man ya’ll making me feel bad. i got mine on the rambo plan. they under shade tree’s and i keep their water bowl filled up. some days they drink more than other’s.

That, Aubbietiger, Circle4p and 5 others like this.
  17. Red dog 007

Red dog 007 Well-Known Member

tj i dont think he is kidding. we’ve all seen them little boy’s that was pampered and babbied by their moma. running in the house cause they fell or somebody pushed them down. naw sir, i dont want no softies here.

18. wad

wad Well-Known Member

Il.
    I dont think Mitch is kidding either.

19. TJRANGER

Arkansas
    I don’t either but still have to give him a hard time!!! Lol