Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had one of my nephews dogs here for about 5 weeks now . When she first came here she was eating like she was starving . Then about 2 weeks ago she started not getting good . She looked a little thin to me , so I took her to the Vet today . The Vet said that her weight looked perfect . She was 20.7 lbs. . I know now that my nephew is not giving them their ivermectin like he is supposed to , so I had her checked for heartworms and she was positive . The Vet said that they were not bad yet and gave me 2 options for treatment , the slow treatment or the fast treatment . I choose the slow treatment , keep her on prevention , along with Doxycycline for 28 days and recheck in 6 months . She asked how much ivermectin that I was giving her and I told her .25 cc . She said that I will figure the dose amount up for you . She told me to give her .1cc once a month . I am not going to do that I am going to keep giving her .25cc . They didn’t charge me much for the visit , but they charged me $50 dollars for the heartworm test and $2.55 for hazardous waste fee . I guess that was for disposing of a tick or the blood from the heartworm test . I would like to know . I called my nephew from the Vets office with the news . I already told him when I found out he was skipping prevention some time , that he was playing with fire doing that and he should have all of his dogs checked . I am getting fed up with him . Now I am going to have my 2 checked . They came from him a year ago .

·
Registered
172 Posts
M.D I'm glad you did not hesitate to take her to the vet.

Sounds like your nephew needs a little more direction in terms of preventative maintenance with the hounds. Good news is that he has you to provide it.

The most Valuable lessons in life are the ones you pay for.....he is learning that now.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I’ve had one of my nephews dogs here for about 5 weeks now . When she first came here she was eating like she was starving . Then about 2 weeks ago she started not getting good . She looked a little thin to me , so I took her to the Vet today . The Vet said that her weight looked perfect . She was 20.7 lbs. . I know now that my nephew is not giving them their ivermectin like he is supposed to , so I had her checked for heartworms and she was positive . The Vet said that they were not bad yet and gave me 2 options for treatment , the slow treatment or the fast treatment . I choose the slow treatment , keep her on prevention , along with Doxycycline for 28 days and recheck in 6 months . She asked how much ivermectin that I was giving her and I told her .25 cc . She said that I will figure the dose amount up for you . She told me to give her .1cc once a month . I am not going to do that I am going to keep giving her .25cc . They didn’t charge me much for the visit , but they charged me $50 dollars for the heartworm test and $2.55 for hazardous waste fee . I guess that was for disposing of a tick or the blood from the heartworm test . I would like to know . I called my nephew from the Vets office with the news . I already told him when I found out he was skipping prevention some time , that he was playing with fire doing that and he should have all of his dogs checked . I am getting fed up with him . Now I am going to have my 2 checked . They came from him a year ago .

I live in Louisiana and the dosage you posted seems really low. Most breeds of dogs except for the Collie breed can take higher doses of ivermectin with no side effect. I cannot explain why a Collie cannot take much ivermectin ???? I give my adult Beagles 1/2 CC a month. With pups I start with a drop on their tongue at about 6 weeks. Years ago we use to wait until they were 6 months old, but later found out that the heartworm lava can mature and migrate to the heart by that age. Depending on their weight I adjust their dosage to 1/10 CC per 10 pounds and after 6 months increase a little until adulthood. My dogs are mostly 15" Class hounds and get the half CC. I do have one that is a 13" female about 20 pounds she gets 3/10 to 4/10 CC. The Mosquito population up in your area I am sure isn't nearly as high as here, so may explain why the dosage you posted is so much lower. I am surprised that the Vet didn't give the dog an injection of Proheart 6 or similar type item along with the Doxycycline and suggested you continue this treatment every 6 months. With this treatment you do not have to give the monthly ivermectin. This is usually the slow kill treatment used here. Usually very effective and the dog will be completely cured, could take up to 2 years though. but safer then the fast kill for active type dogs. With a person who only owns one or two dogs, this is a great option of heartworm preventative. The shot isn't very expensive actually probably can be cheaper the buying a bottle of ivermectin that will go out of date on you before you completely use it if you only own a dog or two. The initial testing is what will run up a bill until you start this cycle. My son only owns one dog, his dog tested positive. He claimed he had it on ivermectin, but I am like you, think he didn't administer on schedule with proper dosage. His dog tested positive, not advanced stage about 3 years ago. He was not eating well, his breathing didn't sound right in my opinion. He chose to do the slow kill procedure used above. The dog is heartworm negative now, gets his Pro Heart shot every 6 months, no longer needs the Doxy or ivermectin. Old Boy is 11 years old and acts like a 3 year old.

I highly recommend this treatment for someone who has only a couple of dogs. It works !!! I understand that a ProHeart shot that can be given every 12 months is available now.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t think he is learning , because this is the 2nd dog . The first one was one that we bought that was about one years old . That was a little over 2 years ago . I thought that he might have already had them , but now that I see how he misses regular prevention , it probably happened from him . And so far I have paid the Vet bill on both of them , but they are it . Like you said he needs to learn and he is over 30 . I can see him getting out of dogs soon . He just bought another car that he wants to turn into a hot rod . He will probably try to give me all of his heartwormy dogs and I don’t want them .

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes his female and puppies are doing well after the Vet visit . He did go and get some wormer for them Friday .

I originally told him that he should keep 2 females out of the litter and I would take 2 . But the way I feel now , I don’t think so .

·
Registered
172 Posts
It may be time for another sit down talk. Call him over to your place lay the law down.

He may need the same kind of talk you gave to the Deer Hound owner. It is his responsibility to be the eyes, ears, and advocate for his hounds health care. They rely solely on us to take care of them, they cannot talk and require the same efforts as a child. Because they do not have a voice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It may be time for another sit down talk. Call him over to your place lay the law down.

He may need the same kind of talk you gave to the Deer Hound owner. It is his responsibility to be the eyes, ears, and advocate for his hounds health care. They rely solely on us to take care of them, they cannot talk and require the same efforts as a child. Because they do not have a voice.
X2

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He called me this evening after he got home from work and said the right things . He admitted fault and has a plan do help prevent this again . I think he is aware of his responsibilities for their care now . He has been through a lot with his house burning down , but I offered to kennel the dogs at my house . CCK-NkY is dead right on carrying for our dogs or anything that relies on us for their care and well-being . I got on him more than I did the young man with the deer hound .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have in my hand Zimecterin Gold horse wormer (a paste). I was told to administer a quantity equal to the size of an M & M monthly. My dogs are on nothing except food, water, and exercise. Is it safe to start this treatment cold turkey ?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
M.D I'm glad you did not hesitate to take her to the vet.

Sounds like your nephew needs a little more direction in terms of preventative maintenance with the hounds. Good news is that he has you to provide it.

The most Valuable lessons in life are the ones you pay for.....he is learning that now.
CCK- I believe Marshalls nephew knows what he should do but is lax when it comes to heart worm prevention. Its once a month, what is more important then treating your dogs. JMHO

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First time that I have heard of it . The same Vet treated the one 2 years ago with the 3 shot treatment and didn’t tell me about any other treatment then .

The slow treatment is just 2 100 mg Doxycycline pills twice a day for 28 days along with the regular heartworm preventative . Wait 6 months and retest . A $50 treatment compared to about $500 dollars with the 3 shot treatment .

·
Registered
74 Posts
First time that I have heard of it . The same Vet treated the one 2 years ago with the 3 shot treatment and didn’t tell me about any other treatment then .

The slow treatment is just 2 100 mg Doxycycline pills twice a day for 28 days along with the regular heartworm preventative . Wait 6 months and retest . A $50 treatment compared to about $500 dollars with the 3 shot treatment .
thx for posting that will help a lot of people with treatment

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I have in my hand Zimecterin Gold horse wormer (a paste). I was told to administer a quantity equal to the size of an M & M monthly. My dogs are on nothing except food, water, and exercise. Is it safe to start this treatment cold turkey ?
I use the paste wormer because I keep it for the horses. I give them 1 click on the roll up adjustment. It works good for me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts