Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 5 year old female been housing for a budddy. We’ve had her for about 4 months right now , good running dog. All the sudden started loosing weight. Took to the vet, heart worm positive.

she’s on a high concentration of ivormec and a serious dose of antibiotics. She’s responding to the treatment and seems to be getting a little better. Walking around more and such

Need advice on Food supplements to get her weight up and any additional treatment methods If needed.

thanks,

Stoney

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I would feed her a good food high in protein and fat . When the Vet treated mine , they put him on antibiotics and steroids for about 2 months . A couple of weeks before before the treatment and a month after . He never was the same dog . I took him to the pound . He just started running off during a hunt . It didn’t seem like running fits .

How often to you give the ivermectin and for how long is the treatment . My Vet told me she treated one of her husbands dogs like that . There is a risk that they can die and more of a risk with the 3 shot treatment is what she told me .

·
Registered
297 Posts
Was she on any heart worm prevention before? Not being nosy just wondering. I have heard some folks say their dogs are getting heart worms while on ivermectin.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
We had a dog get heat worms while on ivermectin . I don’t know if he already had them when I got him or not . He was about a year old and really skinny . I should have had him tested when I got him . But I know that my nephew doesn’t give it on time . I got on him last week about that . I told him he should get everyone of his dogs tested now and if they get them that it is a death sentence for the dogs , because he can’t afford to treat them . His excuse was his bottle burnt up in his house fire . I told him that was 9 months ago . I have been sharing my bottle , but that is getting old , since he is 30 minutes away . I remind him every month . I didn’t last month so they missed it . As much as it seems like he cares for his dogs and seeing what heart worms does to a dog firsthand , why he neglects that .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input and advice fellas. I got this female with a buddy when we got our 2 mo’ Bill pups. Was the mother of the pups, was overweight and in bad shape, got her up and running again good, then just took a turn for the worse. The vet said she’d probably never had heart worm prevention in her life other than the heart guard id given her the last 3 months while she was in my kennel. She was suffering and we had to put her down today. Been sad all evening over it.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'm gonna miss Big Momma. I remember the first time we run her with our dogs. I'm gonna admit I had pretty low expectations for a 200 dollar dog, just off pups, and about 10 pounds overweight running on ice and snow! Man she blew my mind!!! Only thing that got in her way was that fence LOL.
I can't wait for Jumpin Junebug to get started. I believe that girls gonna be hard to hang with in a couple months!

·
Registered
479 Posts
We had a dog get heat worms while on ivermectin . I don’t know if he already had them when I got him or not . He was about a year old and really skinny . I should have had him tested when I got him . But I know that my nephew doesn’t give it on time . I got on him last week about that . I told him he should get everyone of his dogs tested now and if they get them that it is a death sentence for the dogs , because he can’t afford to treat them . His excuse was his bottle burnt up in his house fire . I told him that was 9 months ago . I have been sharing my bottle , but that is getting old , since he is 30 minutes away . I remind him every month . I didn’t last month so they missed it . As much as it seems like he cares for his dogs and seeing what heart worms does to a dog firsthand , why he neglects that .
How often do you give your dogs ivermectin for heartworms? What is the dosage? Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for all the input and advice fellas. I got this female with a buddy when we got our 2 mo’ Bill pups. Was the mother of the pups, was overweight and in bad shape, got her up and running again good, then just took a turn for the worse. The vet said she’d probably never had heart worm prevention in her life other than the heart guard id given her the last 3 months while she was in my kennel. She was suffering and we had to put her down today. Been sad all evening over it.
I'm really sorry to hear about your hound.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Have a 5 year old female been housing for a budddy. We’ve had her for about 4 months right now , good running dog. All the sudden started loosing weight. Took to the vet, heart worm positive.

she’s on a high concentration of ivormec and a serious dose of antibiotics. She’s responding to the treatment and seems to be getting a little better. Walking around more and such

Need advice on Food supplements to get her weight up and any additional treatment methods If needed.

thanks,

Stoney
I hope she has a full recovery.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
How often do you give your dogs ivermectin for heartworms? What is the dosage? Thanks!
I give .1 cc per 10 lbs. or just a little more if they don’t fall on exactly 20 lbs. . A dog weighing between 20 and 30 pounds I give .3cc once a month . I use 1cc syringes that are marked .1 to 1cc . This dose is for prevention not treatment . I don’t know the treatment dose or for how long .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts