Have you ever had a dog with Cherry Eye??

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by 12Gauge, Feb 21, 2010.

1. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

I was wondering if you ever had to deal with Cherry eye, what did you have done if anything? I know some have fooled with Beagles a long time and had this problem, I would like to hear your opinion!!!!

2. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

I have never had one, but have seen dogs with it before. Best to take them to the vet

3. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

i have, when i was a kid dad just removed them himself, but i just carry them to vet not very expensive to remove

4. i had one with cherry eyes took her to the vet and he removed

5. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

Just one and took to vet.

6. dbounds

dbounds Active Member

They can be rolled back in, but sometimes pop back out. Best to have vet remove.

7. Seen something like this on the other board. What exactly is cherry eye? Oh, yeah, the vet on there highly recommends that you have it removed by a vet, and not try to cut it out with a knife and fish hook like this guy was wanting to try. Don't know that I really know what it is though. Enlighten me.

8. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

Ive only had it happen once and I took it to the vet and he cut it out. Ive heard of guys that cut em out themselves but Id be afraid to try it myself.

9. no way I would attempt to remove myself... deffinately a vet thing. Never seen it myself, only read and heard about it. I understand it to be hereditary...

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

If you cut it out yourself have one person to hold the dog while you pull it out with a fish hook and cut it off. The dog will do a lot of screaming be prepared for that.

11. Ouch. I think I'm gonna be sick.:yuck:

12. RKW

RKW Active Member

Awe now don't be such a wus. I was hoping someone might post a picture for me and dblevens. I haven't seen this before or if I have I didn't know what you called it. I know I would take it to the Vet for sure.

I had a bird dog watch a guy weld one time and the next morning the white part of his eyes had swelled outside of the socket and over most of the cornea. The Vet gave me some ointment and it cured up fast but it sure was ugly for a few days.

Roger

13. beagledog

beagledog New Member

Ohio
    Had a dog with this once. Gave him a traqualizer I got from the vet, I think it was 50 cents for it and my buddy came over and used a fish hook and a very very sharp pair of small scissors. He cut it and the dog didn't even flintch. Never came back and I just gave the dog amoxicillian for about three days to make sure of no infection. Of course he starilized the hook and the scissors first.

14. TBrown

TBrown Member

You would definitely know if you seen it. It looks like a cherry stuck to the dogs eye. One of mine had it and it cost me $200.00 to get it fixed at the vet. After discussing it with other people who had run into this I have come to the conclusion that I need to fing a new vet.

Terry

15. Snag

Snag New Member

Had a dog a couple of years ago with them in both eyes. My vet removed them for less than $40.

16. I have two pups with it right now but I'm deployed so when I get back I will be taking them to the Vet

17. huguejm

huguejm Active Member

Yea I've removed a many of them. Takes a few seconds and it's free.

Mitch

18. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Can't make myself do it, I tried to get appointment to get it done this week was unable to, maybe next week . Does anyone's vet do it on the visit and send them home or do they keep them overnight?

19. deltadog

deltadog New Member

They are easy to remove.. all you need is a scalpel, and forceps along with some salt. Easy as 1-2-3!

Pull with forceps, snip with scalpel and stuff cut with salt.....
    :up: