Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had you tube pulled up on one of my computers at work the other night watching rabbit hunting videos.One of my coworkers got to watching and asked me what they were running I told him a rabbit he then asked why they were spread out so wide did a rabbit leave that much smell he called it. I really didn’t have a good answer because the pack we were watching went into some tall weeds the rabbit crossed a little opening and the dogs went in and completely lost the rabbit my coworker said that fella must just have a lot of them dogs for pets because there’s no reason 20 dogs should ever loose a rabbit. I asked him had he ever heard of kennel blindness.lol

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seark did you tell him they really could smell it or they DEFINITELY WOULD NOT BE BARKING because dogs that run to catch only bark when they are on the scent.

Care to post the link so I can see what real rabbit dogs run like.
I can’t they might belong to somebody on here I don’t know everybody’s real names and if they like that kind of dog I’m proud for them somebody needs to feed them.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
From my limited understanding, the dogs running out wide to the left and right (flankers) are there in case the rabbit turns left or right and the dog actually running the rabbit misses the turn. Take a heck of a trainer to teach a hound not to run sent but to stay out wide incase the rabbit turns, I often wonder how they know their spot, do the right hand flankers always run on the right and vise versa for the left hand hounds, way above my pay grade

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
My hat’s off to any man who can take out 20 hounds by himself and run a rabbit. That’s more than even I run. How many people do you know who could hunt with 20 hounds? By himself? Heck, how many could even feed that many?

Seark: PM me - I’d like to see this video.

As for “kennel blindness”, if losing a rabbit is because of kennel blindness, I would bet most all of us are “blind” at one time or another? But I also think a little more kennel blindness would be a good thing in beagles today, so that maybe we’d see fewer of the jumbled up mess in pedigrees, as well as more consistency in the hounds people had in their dog lots.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From my limited understanding, the dogs running out wide to the left and right (flankers) are there in case the rabbit turns left or right and the dog actually running the rabbit misses the turn. Take a heck of a trainer to teach a hound not to run sent but to stay out wide incase the rabbit turns, I often wonder how they know their spot, do the right hand flankers always run on the right and vise versa for the left hand hounds, way above my pay grade
Why do the flankers bark the whole time is what I’m wondering.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Question: What kind of person can handle 10 couples of hounds?
Answer: A houndsman with hounds that are capable of hunting in a pack of 10 couples.

These hounds have to be biddable (capable of following direction in a large pack). These hounds have to have a pack-mentality. These hounds have to be able to handle the pressure of 19 other hounds on the ground with them. They have to be comfortable considering the cues they get from their packmates along with what they smell from a rabbit scent.They have to be able to tell what's going on around them and not just blind to everything but exactly where the rabbit scent is. When the pack grabs a check and takes off with it, these hounds have to be CAPABLE of leaving the point of loss they are working and go hark in and pick back up the line from where they hark in at. They also have to have be way less mouthy and potter way less than they can when with one or two other couples.

Not every hound can run in a large pack. Thy have to be very specific hounds that are capable of doing so. This comes from their breeding but also their training. If you do nothing but solo and brace hounds with the mentality that a hound must be great at soloing before I put him in a pack, and that is what you breed for, when you put him down with 19 other hounds, he will be terrible and it will be a trainwreck. I have seen it firsthand. I went hunting with 3 other buddies and we all brought 2-4 hounds. We had a total of 12 hounds on the ground. Half of these hounds had finished or wins in small pack and gundog brace. Many of these hounds looked very nice when they were run by themselves or with a bracemate. They were all trying to straddle the line and "get the same amount of scent" that they would if being run solo. They would line up a mile long and run into each other like dominoes at every check. They had no clue how to run next to the line or take cues from 10 other pack mates.

We were on great state land on an awesome day for running. It was horrendous. Hounds that could have a limit killed over them in a small pack were creating checks and running into each other and freaking out. I knew pretty much all of these hounds individually and honestly liked most of them when I had seen them 2 or 3 at a time. Together they were terrible. I think we killed one rabbit that day. The checks were no shorter (usually longer) than if we had only 4 hounds down. In reality we should have split into two packs and ran half in the morning and half at night. We were trying to run small pack hounds in a large pack.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts