Gundog Pack Hunt-Holden, Mo.

Discussion in 'NKC' started by FB, Mar 29, 2010.

1. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

If nothing changes me and Crossroads are gonna make the trip up there.

If anybody wants to ride with us let me know. We're leaving Friday and stopping at BPS in Springfield then driving on up and getting a room someplace.

2. Crofford

Crofford New Member

Good luck you guys hope you have a great trip.FB I hope Gus gets his 10 points and makes champion that would be awsome.Think I'm gonna stick around and take my cousins boy Dillion on the youth turkey hunt I took him last year and he got his first bird so he is really excited about going Saturday.Send me a text and let me know how you guys do and tell everyone up there I said hello.

3. conrats crossroads on that second place :up:

4. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

congrats crossroads

5. plumber

plumber Active Member

Hey Crossroads, that blackcreek female you did so good with, would that be Mottos sister?

6. How did FB do Did Gus get his points

7. FB

No, he didnt get em. He made the winners pack but got picked up. Him and another dog were buttin' heads on the front and they picked both of em up.

8. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

Freddy sorry I picked your hound up, you are right they were bumping the whole time, once we picked both up the race definately smoothed out. It was a great winners pack before and after. My Jim dog does the same dang thing, when he just settles and runs the line he is awsome, but most times he spends the entire time fighting for the front.

9. FB

You dont have to apologize. Id have picked him up too, just not at the time yall did. :wink:

He was a little stronger and more competitive that day than he usually is for some reason but I like a dog with some power and would rather have one like that than one that stays on the back and doesnt do anything wrong but doesnt get much if anything done either.

Its part of it. It aint the first time Ive had a dog picked up and unless I quit trialing it wont be the last. :up:

10. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

I hear ya, this is one of those cases where there are two judges both like a different style hound. I like a hard hitting hound and he liked a extreme line control hound. Both of us like a smooth race, I made a comment earlier in the race asking if we should start picking up, he said yea but wich ones, I told him I dont know they are all doing a fine job. In the wide open areas, a couple slower ones were being pulled, but in the thick area the harder ones were causing breakdowns and the slower ones were taking it on through. So I hear what you are saying and Ty and I had to argue out which to pick up. Overall the winners pack (all 7) did a great job, man they about killed me going up and down those hills at mach 1.
    I am still learning the judging thing and really dont want to be a judge, but took the test to help in a pinch. I had no idea I was going to judge until we got there and Larry said "Your judging the 13's with Ty!" I was like "Aaaa OK". I do like Ty Green he is a very honest and fair judge, but likes a extremely clean hound, over a faster little rougher hound. I will take aggressive and clean over extremely clean. So it was a good mix of judges.

11. Big Holler

Big Holler New Member

Congrats Crossroads!!! I really enjoyed visting with you.Hope to see you soon.
    I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to Brian and Ty for judging and the other judges for judging the big dogs.

12. thanks big holler i enjoyed visting with you hope to seeyou soon too

13. FB

Judging is a hard job and I appreciate anyone and everyone that does it.

I enjoy judging but Id have enjoyed it more 20 years and 40 pounds ago. :smack:

I dont like to do it if it means that I cant handle/watch my own dogs run though.

If Ive got a dog down and its in area where I can see the race I try to keep up with it and watch all I can. I want to see how/what my own dogs are doing because Im judging even when Im not "really" judging but I also like talking about different scenarios that happened in a trial with people that saw it. Its interesting to me to find out what other people think/thought about a situation and see if they saw things the same way I did. I think it helps make all of us better judges, not only at trials but of dogs in general.

14. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

Amen to the 20 years and 40 pounds ago! I dont care to judge either, someone is always going to be upset and someone is going to be happy. But I would rather handle my hounds and help my boy than judge a trial. especialy since I know most everyone who has a hound in it. I always feel bad later when one gets upset with me.

15. FB

I dont worry too much about upsetting people. If I think my dog got a fair, honest, and impartial look I can handle getting picked up. Its part of it and its gonna happen if you go to enough trials.

If Im judging and I know I did my best and that I put my personal likes and dislikes aside and watched and judged the dogs as close as I could to the rules, I can live with that whether they can or not.

And most owners/handlers that actually watch the race will see it for themselves and usually have it pretty close to the way you did if theyre open minded about it.