Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grandkids are all playing sports in school and summer leagues and parents/grandparents are the worst. Let the kids play and have fun! Had the Ref in HS fast pitch ballgame last night have to kick out an Adult( or should be) for his ranting and raving. His daughter was so embarrassed and I felt sorry for her. Seen this caption this morning and made me wander what our kids and grandkids think when we act like 2 year olds.
536CACBE-EB01-463F-A9E0-B252E03D5D0F.png
536CACBE-EB01-463F-A9E0-B252E03D5D0F.png

·
Registered
635 Posts
I agree TJ! I referee high school basketball. (Used to do middle school as well.) People don't like referees but most of us really have the kids' best interests in mind!

I pray for every kid by position on the drive to each game. I pray for their well-being and their salvation. I also pray for good role models in their lives. I pray for parents and coaches to build them up in Christ and not act a fool over a silly game. It is sad when sometimes it seems the only role model for the kids is the referee...

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Couldn’t agree more TJ it’s awful, when my oldest granddaughter started playing softball (because her dad insisted) she was much more interested in playing in the dirt than playing ball . Her dad had himself a real embarrassing tantrum so I had to ask him to step behind the bleachers for a minute he really pouted after the heart to heart we had lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
coached my sons teams in little league for years, I know exactly what you are saying lol, it was worse in the older class14,15 16 yo, most of the parents thought they had a future MLB prospect, I did my best to get every kid some playing time as a coach its hard to try and find "the middleground" there were days I felt like a punching bag trying to please the parents because like Mack said wasnt "showcasing" their kid, there was many games had to chew on my lip to keep from saying something that I would have regretted lol

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Starting this weekend we are closing the doors to parents at our travel ball practice. I thought for sure our head coach was gonna walk off last night. He told one of the moms if she was such a good coach she should probably start her own team. I'd say easily 90% of all drama and headaches we deal with are caused by mommas and daddies and we are coaching TEENAGE GIRLS!!! I've never saw 2 kids get in a fight at a ball game but have seen full grown men throw pops in each others face and women cuss each other like sailors. First tournament we ever played in had to call cops because of a crazy parent threatening a ref. People never cease to amaze me!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Starting this weekend we are closing the doors to parents at our travel ball practice. I thought for sure our head coach was gonna walk off last night. He told one of the moms if she was such a good coach she should probably start her own team. I'd say easily 90% of all drama and headaches we deal with are caused by mommas and daddies and we are coaching TEENAGE GIRLS!!! I've never saw 2 kids get in a fight at a ball game but have seen full grown men throw pops in each others face and women cuss each other like sailors. First tournament we ever played in had to call cops because of a crazy parent threatening a ref. People never cease to amaze me!
funny how most parents dont want to step up and volunteer to help coach but,,, once season starts wants to be Bobby Cox sitting in their camping chair behind the fence lol

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Coached boys and girls basketball from grade 3-12 grade. The helicopter parents that wanted little Johnny and Janey to play more by wanting to talk after every game. I just wanted to go home after the game. They kept track of the minutes they played and questioned why. I told them if they want to talk come to my office and we will talk. Parents never showed up.
My athletic director told me one time it’s not’s about winning and losing, I disagreed, I said, then why do we keep score? He couldn’t answer that.

I think the Participation ribbons and trophies that everyone gets has changed the face of all kids sports, and parents dreams. JMO

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
When I played baseball many years ago , I never saw a argument with parents and coaches . People have changed . You use to get in a fight with someone and it be with your fist , now it’s a gun . Society is going down the toilet faster everyday it seems like .

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly! I coached for over 18 years total from T ball through BabeRuth and also girls slow and fast pitch softball not to mention basketball and helping out our School Coaches as an assistant. Never an issue with kids but parents were a different story.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
A lot is behind the scenes with the parent and their son or daughter. During the ride to the game the parent is telling them what to do in various situations, on the way home they are critical of their play and why they didn't do what was told on the way to the game.
I always asked my son, and daughter what they learned during the game, they would tell me, then Lori, Ryan, Taylor and I would go and get something to eat.
When coaching basketball I always asked my players how many guys are they playing against. They would say 5, I would laugh and tell them its either 7 or 8. The players asked why 7 or 8, I told them its the 2-3 Referees in the game as well, I had my players to get the loose ball for the referees, when ever the Ref handed the ball, out of bounds, free throws they better say thank you when the ball was given to them. 4th quarter with 2-3 minutes left, a questionable call hopefully would go our way because we were respectful and polite to the referees. It usually worked. JMHO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts