Good Scenting

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Hoot, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Hoot

Hoot New Member

s.c.
    What do you guys consider the conditions for good scenting,besides dampness of the ground and or the stillness of the wind.Do you guys think the dew point affects the scent alot,especially if it is low,you know bone dry air.Seems to me late in the afternoon when the dew starts to fall the scent gets better.

2. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Most of the time you can tell if the scenting is high (good) or low (bad) by the way the hounds are running.

Some rabbits leave more scent than others, which will help the scenting.

I like to run early morning with a little dew on the ground. Seem like the hounds do a little better. I also like to run at night also. Mid-day running is where you will see if the scenting conditions are high or low.

3. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

hit the nail on the head

4. rosco

rosco New Member

Is the scenting better in the earlier morning and night Or is that the times the rabbits are most active.

I may credit it wrong but I always credited the success during this time to rabbit movement

5. Hoot

Hoot New Member

s.c.
    what about rutting rabbits seems the scent would be greater on them this time of year.and another thing to you guys with really good dogs is a 1 to2 hour race a common occurense with you guys or does scenting have have a great affect on your races.

6. Hoot

Hoot New Member

s.c.
    another thing do you guys worry about your dogs eyes when running at nite

7. RKW

RKW Active Member

When rabbits are active it may be easier to get one jumped but to be able to keep the rabbit running good scenting conditions help them to keep from having as many losses.

Roger

8. DismalDawg

DismalDawg New Member

I think the berometer and humidity has a lot to do with the scent. I have some things that I look for when I go out to run. First my father next door has a wood heater and it seems like when the smoke is going strait up the running is good but if it is comeing out and going strait to the ground it useually isn't very good. Also a old man that I used to run with looked for long lingering jet trails in the sky and said if you saw that it ment good scenting conditions.

9. rosco

rosco New Member

Hoot we will take them pups out Friday night.
    Easier to smell and harder to see.

Mosquite spray will be required shortly

10. Hoot

Hoot New Member

s.c.
    We used to run at night alot when i was a kid but i worry about my dogs eyes and coyotes alot now.I have seen my dogs eyes beat to death after running at night ,had a friend whose dog stuck a stick in his eye one night and almost lost his eye.Dont know maybe i worry to much but when you invest a good chunk of change on a dog it makes me a little more hesitant about these thin:headscratch:gs

11. RKW

RKW Active Member

Hoot if you have reservations about night hunting then don't do it. You are right a dog could get a stick in his eye. He could do this in the daytime as well. Yes, dogs will get scratched up during both night hunting and day hunting. Foxdogs run different than beagles, they actually are running hard and fast where most beagles have a much slower speed thereby keeping them from being torn up like Walker hounds. I don't worry about coyotes too much and believe me we have plenty of them down here. The only thing that concerns me are snakes, both day and night, I hate snakes. Have you ever been hunting at night? If not go with some one and see how you like it. I see you live in South Carolina, I have a sister that lives in Charleston so I know you will be fighting mosquitoes too. Good luck with your decision and I hope you have good running.

Roger

12. beagleman01

wont be long and the only time you will be able to run is night because of turkey season, at least it only last 30 days

13. RKW

RKW Active Member

Tim, I heard that turkey season has been cut to 17 days this season?

Roger

14. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Active Member

How does running at night effect a dogs eyes ? I thought animals could see as well or better at night than they can in the daylight.

15. beagleman01

isnt there still a 30 day window where you cant run during the day unless you are at a license feild trial or in a encloser?

16. beagleman01

just looked it up running dogs for pleasure from april 1 thur may 15 prohibited during daylight hours. exceptions, field trails, enclosers, or 60 minuites after sunset until 60 minutes before daylight. supposely we were disturbing the turkey nesting process. now that is in arkansas.
    tim

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  17. bterry

bterry New Member

I run a lot at night especially this time of year. Its hard to work 40 plus hours a week take care of 5 and 7 year old boys and get dogs ready for a trial without runnig some at night. i havent noticed any differance in the dogs eyes in runnig at night or in the day time.